Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S-Type reliability -- let's get better info

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
But now you're back.

Yeah, great. Thing is: you're not adding anything useful to the forum but your periodic posting does subtract from it.

Anyone who wants car survey data can google the net for it. They may even find your stuff. From the questions that were asked previously it's fairly clear your data isn't terribly valid, but who cares (apart from you).
Yes, after over three months I've made a single post.

The admin felt that if I posted less often--and I have--then perhaps those who didn't care about the survey could simply ignore the thread. Why is this so unreasonable? Is it that hard to deal with seeing this thread title in the list once every three months?

As for value, people thank me all the time for the value I provide to other forums. I cannot provide any value to this particular thread because I haven't had quite enough S-Type owners signed up to include it in the survey. It's a chicken and egg thing. With a few more participants, the value would follow.

Why do you have to assume that since you and some other people here clearly don't care, that no one but me cares? Over 54,000 people have signed up to participate in this survey, including over 80 S-Type owners. They care, and I do what I can to provide them with the best possible information.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Do you also ask for survey data on the other S-Type forums? If not, why not?

The claimed 54,000 are irrelevant. On that sort of basis we'd have surveys and other stuff from every firm with 54K claimed interested people. We'd be knee-deep, no make that neck-deep, in surveys.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-24-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM

I'm not aware of any other active S-Type forums.

How many others are conducting a survey of vehicle reliability and providing full access to the results for all models to anyone who participates?

Which other survey firms will share what they have with the forum, and respond to your questions and concerns like I have tried to?

None that I'm aware of.

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-24-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

There are at least 3 other active forums easily found using google.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Either we have a different definition of "active," or Google works differently on my computer than yours. Because I haven't found them, easily or otherwise.

Edit: might be because I'm in the US, and you're in the UK. When I add "UK" to the search terms I get different results.

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-25-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Buying a second-hand car. This is a special case as a statistic, but not in practical reality. Why? Just think, why does someone sell a car?
Wow, Leeds.... You keep ranting about used (second-hand) cars on here.... Please remember that one of the major cultural differences in North America vs Europe is our approach to car ownership. It is very common for people to only drive a new car for 3 to 5 years then trade it in. For many the term of original ownership is determined by the finance period. Hence the popularity of consumer level leases. So, there is a ample supply of problem free used cars in this market. While I understand that this is a global forum, I also feel the need to differentiate the cultural differences of the two regions.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Wow, Leeds.... You keep ranting about used (second-hand) cars on here.... Please remember that one of the major cultural differences in North America vs Europe is our approach to car ownership. It is very common for people to only drive a new car for 3 to 5 years then trade it in. For many the term of original ownership is determined by the finance period. Hence the popularity of consumer level leases. So, there is a ample supply of problem free used cars in this market. While I understand that this is a global forum, I also feel the need to differentiate the cultural differences of the two regions.
Jeff. I agree with you very much. Might just be a NA thing.
How often on here do we read that someone is in the market for a new car just because it is almost out of factory warranty.
My neighbors do this all the time. They fail to realize the hit they will take on a 2-3 year old car. I always buy one of these with at least 6 months of factory warranty left. Then with the buckets of dough I save over a new purchase I use a small amount of my "frugallness" to buy an extended warranty.
I don't understand how these folks can swallow the hit they take without considering an ext warranty. If a warranty is what concerns them.
I think they just want a new car regardless of the hit they take.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM

I wasn't aware of this difference between the US and UK. I have many members who regularly trade cars whenever they get bored with the one they have and want something new--sometimes less than a year.

I was aware that a very high percentage of luxury cars in the UK are company-owned rather than privately owned. Wouldn't these cars often be sold after a specified term, rather than based on when they became unreliable?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You're right there Mkresh, most new cars in UK are kept until the MOT becomes necessary after three years. They are either fleet owned or on long term contract hire. Hence the high mileage they do. And yes, I've also noticed a big difference in usage patterns between US and UK. I do my best to bear this in mind, but you can't win 'em all.
Leedsman.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM

We're a single car short of the minimum needed to get started with the 2003.

I'd like to be able to provide reliability stats for all years--just a matter of getting enough owners involved.

Car reliability research

Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add one more S type to the list... Just signed up.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default S-type enrolled

I have just enrolled my 2003 S-type.

cats4.2

Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Thank you, I appreciate it. The 2003 was recently added to the survey, so hopefully we'll have an initial result in May.

The 2000 and 2005 are next closest, with each over 2/3 of the way.

Car reliability survey enrollment

The following users liked this post:
Pushing_Tin (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have "known" Michael for quite a few years. I used to read thetruthaboutcars.com when he was a contributor there, he enrolled my 370Z when I had it and now we've talked via e-mail about my S Type. He has always been professional and friendly and his data is an asset to any car owner. My car was enrolled in November.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default survey

I have signed up from the UK -
hope some more from here sign up

Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Ours seems destined to be a collector, pleasure driven car. Not to be driven on a regular basis. Nothing against the survey but I doubt our data would be of much use.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM

We ended up two responses short of the minimum to have a result for the 2003 S-Type this month. So a result with the following quarterly update, in August, is almost certain. Even a few more participants would make a big difference.

Details here:

Car reliability research

Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM

We'll have an initial results for the 2003 S-Type later this month. Thanks, guys.

I'd like to have full results for all years. Just a matter of getting enough owners involved. Tough with a low volume car like the S-Type, but it can be done.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Signed up

Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I encourage everyone to sign up and contribute. I've been a True Delta member for several years - first with my X type. A very helpful site. Many folks who post up threads on S type reliability - usually when they are thinking of buying one - could check out the True Delta site too.

Quick Reply: Jaguar S-Type reliability -- let's get better info