S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S-Type reliability -- let's get better info

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seems to me!!

just from observation on this forum---seems to me 2000--2002 S types have few problems , and those are superficial. the Xs have bad news problems!! maybe i am wrong?? might be because much of the drive train, suspension, brakes etc is ford (according to GEORGE A.)-------what does an old guy with half a brain know!!--------doug

Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S-type reliability

I have an 2001 S type 4.0----------bought with 19000 miles ---had an initial service done and replaced a coil.-------you can add mine to the list KINGFISH

Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Why do people want to know about reliability problems?
Because they want to know if that car they are proposing to buy is going to be a lemon/money pit or not.
In my experience over my last few cars, the problems have been pretty old-fashioned -- nothing to do with computers etc. Broken springs, bad battery, improper servicing (ATF fluid change) and the like.
In one famous case here, ref. The Bertrandgrey Saga, after supposedly professional mechanics tried to fix an intermittent MIL lamp problem, local gifted amateurs here fixed the problem for him -- the car's wiring had been vandalized. The supposed professionals actually changed the autobox for this! So this partic. car was not made with an inherent fault. The fault was put on the car by incompetents.
To assess if the car you fancy is going to be a lemon or not, before you part with the wherewithall, check out the firm from which you are buying. It's easy. Just Google their name plus problems. Could be an eyeopener.
The point is -- "if you buy a car from them and it goes wrong, can they fix it"?

Finally, remember that warranties are really just an insurance policy against a specific risk (your car going wrong), there will be limitations that aren't covered, and there will be a cost limitation. And if THEIR repair station can't fix it, you still end up tearing your hair out!

Leedsman.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We have a reliability stat for the Jaguar S-Type (on our redesigned site) based on owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

Just the 2003 at this point. The stat of 212 repair trips per 100 cars per year is high, but this could be partly due to the very small sample size.

With more participants, we could provide more precise informmation and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Jaguar S-Type reliability ratings and comparisons

Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM

We have a reliability stat for the Jaguar S-Type based on owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

Just the 2003 at this point. The stat of 186 repair trips per 100 cars per year is high, but (as noted in the past) this could be partly due to the very small sample size.

With more participants, we could provide more precise informmation and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM

We have a reliability stat for the Jaguar S-Type based on owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

Just the 2003 at this point. The stat of 111 repair trips per 100 cars per year is worse than average, but based on a very small sample size.

With more owners involved, we could provide more precise informmation and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think my 04 S type R is any more troublesome than the 2001 VDP I had. I had the tranny rebuilt on my VDP, it had bad front wheel bearings, the roof liner was sagging and I had a leak in the cooling system. I also had the restricted performance issue just like I do with the S type R. I guess if you want to play you gotta pay. There are no cheap parts on these cars and reliability for me has been lower than other cars I've owned. Although my corvette comes close.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thing that already has been more troublesome is the DCCV. My 01 Vdp didn't have that system and I have already replaced the DCCV and repaired the climate control module. By the looks of that design it will be an ongoing problem

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
We have a reliability stat for the Jaguar S-Type based on owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

Just the 2003 at this point. The stat of 111 repair trips per 100 cars per year is worse than average, but based on a very small sample size.

With more owners involved, we could provide more precise informmation and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Hi there, I've just signed up with my 2004 S-type 4.2ltr which I love !!

I wanted to give some info about my fuel consumption etc but couldn't find a way of doing it???

Perhaps you could pm me with the answer as some on here seem to be very anti what you are trying to do,for some reason?????

Dave

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by thebiglad
Hi there, I've just signed up with my 2004 S-type 4.2ltr which I love !!

I wanted to give some info about my fuel consumption etc but couldn't find a way of doing it???

Perhaps you could pm me with the answer as some on here seem to be very anti what you are trying to do,for some reason?????

Dave
The way of the world on the last bit. No shortage of critics.

If you go to "My Garage" on the site you'll find drop down menus that'll take you to all of the forms and results pages for the car.

The following users liked this post:
thebiglad (11-09-2012)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM

We have a reliability stat for the Jaguar S-Type based on owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

Just the 2003 at this point. The stat of 128 repair trips per 100 cars per year is worse than average, but based on a very small sample size.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Mk,

Good to see you here. Don't know if you remeber me, we've spoken on the phone in the past when I had a Dodge Magnum and after. Times got a little hard for me and I've bounced back now. I have an 03 S-Type and will be entering my info on the site.

Diamond

Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Great to have you around again, Diamond!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM

We've updated our reliability stats for the S-Type to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2003 S-Type: 85, moderate, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in August and in November. For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help us provide more precise stats and cover more model years:

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Compared to the X-Type I owned the S-Type is as reliable as a hammer...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 AM

Here's my four penn'orth re. reliability after my last posting two years ago on this thread.
At 50mph. going up a slight incline and accelerating, my diesel S-type belched out a huge cloud of white smoke and came to a stop. It felt serious and it was. I was able to start it after a few minutes, to "limp home", and a mechanic's verdict was -- expensive.
This kind of thing has never happened to me before; yes I've had breakdowns, but nothing on this scale. It turns out the car is almost worthless after putting it in part-ex. for a Chrysler Grande Voyager. I chose this partic. MPV because it's better than a van style-wise and I'll be able to do some house moves in the near future much more easily. Hard facts that must be faced about Jaguars -- my luck ran out.
So put that in your report.

A not very pleased Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 07-09-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Ouch!

What failed? And why?

Old 07-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Signed up too

Hi,
Signed up, hoping others will also sign in so that all can take advantage of the database.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:56 AM

As I no longer own a Jag., this must be my last word on the reliability matter.
To me, buying an expensive motor is no guarantee of reliability whatsoever. My most reliable car was a plain old Ford Mondeo diesel Mk.I which I had for 6 years with just tyres to replace. It only need fixing at the end which I did myself for minimal cost and time. (A broken front road spring; got a second-hand one for £15).

At one time, Mercedes were noted for their reliability and 20 year service life. Most EU countries ran 190Ds as taxis. You can't say that anymore. Japanese cars made for a big improvement in reliability when they appeared on the world market, as did their tvs. But then they lost it -- only need to say one make here -- Toyota.

All that old easy-fix stuff has gone. Modern cars are VERY hard to fix in terms of diagnosis and simply getting at the bad part, and VERY expensive when they go wrong. A whole new "wing" has had to be added to an engineer's expertise, that of being able to operate a diagnostic and adjustment computer. Access to that software for amateurs and non-dealers alike can be restricted. It's not just Jaguars, it's across the board.

So for you as a buyer of a second-hand motor, all you can do is check the service record together with a common-sense checkout of the particular motor you're thinking of buying.

The rest is, one might say, pure LUCK...

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 07-14-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to say that so far my Jag which I've owned for 8 months has been the most expensive new to me car I've purchased (I've owned a lot of cars in my 52 years).

Now part of that is due to being screwed by a shop that charged me for more hours then necessary to do some work on my car. Even if the shop charged me correctly the Jag would still be the most expensive and that is for just one visit.

There are variables here that would drop the cost to probably 0. First problem happened right after I picked the car up. The dealers mechanic is not very Jaguar savvy. With help from the members here I figured it out as a intake box leak and relayed this to the dealer. When I got the Jag back no codes and running ok. I was not charged for the time that the dealers mechanic worked on the car.

Next was limp mode and codes while accelerating. This turned out to be coil #2. I could have saved money and time had I known I could change this myself. The dealer charged me $124.00 for the coil (found them for $40.00 on parts geek) and 1 hour labor for a 5 minute install. I know labor is charged by the hour only.

While the Jag was in the shop for the coil I had a fuel system cleaning done and was charged 2.50 hours for this and a software update which I found out here that this is not something that the shop can do.

Basically I now know that I will look here for the fix first and attempt the fix myself if it is not to complicated. I could have saved about $500.00 on this last visit if I did the work myself.

Quick Reply: Jaguar S-Type reliability -- let's get better info