Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar stype 200k

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar stype 200k

Hi all,

I'm new here, I've been the owner of a jaguar s-type for two years now. It was a gift from an Uncle... anyway, I don't see many recent threads here about the Stype so lets get one going.

Any one here has a Jag with 200k miles? and if so how has the repairs been? troublesome/not out of the ordinary/worse than your other car/ Better than expected?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Go On, Do tell..............

Originally Posted by Gracecaght
Hi all,

I'm new here, I've been the owner of a jaguar s-type for two years now. It was a gift from an Uncle... anyway, I don't see many recent threads here about the Stype so lets get one going.

Any one here has a Jag with 200k miles? and if so how has the repairs been? troublesome/not out of the ordinary/worse than your other car/ Better than expected?
Welcome Gracecaght,

Why don't you start. Year, engine type, what problems you have had, and current mileage 200k+. Sorry I don't see the blind man with the stick smilie.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I don't see many recent threads here about the Stype
??? 11,452 threads

S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Don't forget your intro post and to add your details.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 PM

Sorry, I saw the sticky posts and and clicked arranged by date which caused the oldest posts to show. My noob mistake.

Anyways I'm at 149k and boy do I love the car, but it's been a hard experience for me.
She was a gift from my Uncle at 144k and since then I've had to replace
Fuel Pump - window regulator - Steering fluid pump - steering rack & pinion - Catalytic converter - radiator - front upper control arms - fix heat/AC unit

And I now currently have a random won't start(dash lights come on but doesn't crank) and a CATs fault after trying to address squeaking noises. And to make matters worse it's my first car and I have no previous auto DIY experience or auto mechanical experience for that matter, so all these issues I've had to bring it to the mechanics to fix.

Sigh... I mean I really lover her but the repairs have been draining.

Oh and I found https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-s-type-11835/ which is a similar, but more trending thread.

Last edited by Gracecaght; 09-21-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: correcting sentence
Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Welcome to the forum Grace.

You still haven't mentioned year and engine size yet.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

he has now.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
he has now.
^^^^ Thanks for your input^^^^

Just adding to your post count?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Default Have you thought about a bicycle......Or are you a quick learner!

[QUOTE=I've had to replace
Fuel Pump - window regulator - Steering fluid pump - steering rack & pinion - Catalytic converter - radiator - front upper control arms - fix heat/AC unit

And I now currently have a random won't start(dash lights come on but doesn't crank) it's my first car and I have no previous auto DIY experience or auto mechanical experience for that matter

Well, firstly, you are very brave.

An old Jaguar and taking it to the money pit to get it fixed when it fails to work? Is " Expensive" as you are finding out.

Has or Do you? Have the car serviced as per the service book, schedule.
This is a good start. Because!

A fuel filter change may have saved the fuel pump.

Changing the coolant before/each 5 years, may have saved the radiator.

The cooling and HVAC, well they are a weak point anyway.

Window regulator, was it the driver’s window by any chance, do you or your uncle drive with the window open, part open regularly?

Suspension, at that mileage just wear and tear.

Steering pump and rack? Did you have oil leaks on the oil lines or the rack seals, causing low or loss of power steering oil? Was the steering rack oil ever changed?

Trouble starting? Do you hear a fast Click..?Click.?.Click ? Click ? sound when you turn the key? Or just nothing, and the panel light, fades?

How old is the battery??

(Do I try and explain what codes do you have??) No, I’ll pass on that one.

Like any piece of equipment a Jaguar requires maintenance, routine, preventative, and break down maintenance.

If you don’t do the first two then, as a consequence you end up doing the third.

There really are most problems and issues covered in these forum threads.

Well that was you’re starter for 10.[url]https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_bike.gif[/url]

Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 PM

Yea, I keep telling myself that it's just that I got the car at and age/milage when it's repairs needed to be made, and if i fix this one thing it'll be alright.

My Uncle told me he has two cars, a 98' Camry and 2000 stype. He said the s-type had a steering fluid leek but the Camry was all in good shape, then he told me to choose.

I had the car shipped up from Florida where he was to NY. I'm not sure how religious he was with routine maintenance. As for the current issue;

The battery is about 2 yrs old, and I don't hear a click, click. The Dash board lights come on and the TPS(I think thats what its called- the alarm light) stays on and solid.

I'm seeking the solution in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...1/#post1062092.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

PATS is the "alarm" one.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Default Nice, Jaguar, You made the Right Choice

Yea, I keep telling myself that it's just that I got the car at and age/milage when it's repairs needed to be made, and if i fix this one thing it'll be alright.

My Uncle told me he has two cars, a 98' Camry and 2000 stype. He said the s-type had a steering fluid leek but the Camry was all in good shape, then he told me to choose.

I had the car shipped up from Florida where he was to NY. I'm not sure how religious he was with routine maintenance. As for the current issue;

The battery is about 2 yrs old, and I don't hear a click, click. The Dash board lights come on and the TPS(I think thats what its called- the alarm light) stays on and solid.

I'm seeking the solution in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...1/#post1062092.

Ok, lets see what we've got.

You will need to read the codes, to see what is causing the alarm light on the Dash to come up. I understand, some Auto shops do it for free in the States.

Or find someone with a code reader, and report back with the codes.

Make a note or get a print out of the codes.

Get them to clear the codes, and drive around a bit and see what codes come back, so you will need to visit them twice.

If it has not been done for a while you may have lots of error codes which are unrelated to your problem just now.

See how the second reading and print out of codes compare.

Could be many things and we would just be guessing at present.

Could you find out what service history/ work was done to the car, it may help, and will help in knowing what you need to do next is order of priority.

Reading Codes:

Plug in a handheld OBD2 code reader to the socket, switch ignition and follow wath the requirements are for your code reader. The guy(or Girl) who is doing it will know. You just need the codes for now.

Then search for what the codes mean, to identify what is or was causing issues.

If any of the above is not understood, try search on this forum or google.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It's too late now but a 2003 or up model will be a lot less trouble.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:06 PM

Someone recommended I start a new thread for this issue so I did here | https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...5/#post1066173

bydand - I listed some codes that I received from the last mechanic visit in the thread