S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguars are a lot like...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguars are a lot like...

The type of girl that you see, where even if you hated her guts you would still have to admit to yourself that she's absolutely gorgeous no doubt at all. Do you concur?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Yes , I do

Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

...the dysfunctional hot girl you hooked up with. The first twelve months are spent in bed reveling in the "hotness". Then the novelty wears off and you get to the point that you can't put up with her **** any more. And no time between the sheets makes up for it.....

Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Hmmmm....

So Jeff, are you in essence saying that your current S-Type will be your first and last Jag?!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Cool

...rest assured that every good lookin' woman ya lust after there is some guy sick of ____ing her - puts this issue in its proper perspective - same with the Jaguar

Capiche

Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Owning a Jag is like dating a famous super model. Great to be seen with but she could care less if you live or die.

:-)

(I don't really feel that way....but some Jag owners do !)

Cheers
DD

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Hmmmm....

So Jeff, are you in essence saying that your current S-Type will be your first and last Jag?!
Yes and no.... I really just posted that to interject some humor. I didn't want to turn it into a hijacked tirade but you asked.......

I don't trust the car to be a financially sound transportation option. Most of my problem is actually with me. I want a satisfying daily driver and what satisfies my taste isn't really made. My concern isn't with the electronics or Limp Mode. You know my opinion of that. If it jumped into Limp Mode this morning on my commute to work it would **** me off but I wouldn't freak. Again, my attitude is colored by having a car shut down for a trivial malfunction leaving it dead while traveling at 80 mph on a crowded expressway. I actually am concerned with the overall build quality of the car and absolutely hate the trans. I don't say much about the trans because there are no facts to back it up. I just don't like the fact that I can't service it easily and the software bugs to me are downright dangerous. Roll into an intersection then hit the gas to say, turn left, and the damn thing sits there waiting to decide if it wants oncoming traffic to hit me or not....Again, it is just a feel and nothing I can pinpoint as a flaw. The trans really has a good reputation for not failing. I can't help but think that a good service won't make some things better. I'm just not comfortable to spend hundreds to lie on my back and attempt the service without making some mistake that voids my warranty. So, if it needs a service but I don't do it out of fear, what happens? Does the trans fail on June 22nd 2011, a day after the warranty runs out? Now as far as build quality goes. There are trim pieces that are coming loose. The finish is wearing on other items as well. That does not bode well for longterm reliability. Yet I love to get in it and drive to work each day. I love the way it absorbs all the crappy roads on my way in yet is still able to fly around a bend.
I also know that my car is no worse than those other offerings from the likes of BMW or Benz. But I'll say it, it's no Honda. And before a bunch of others jump on here to tell me I should have bought a Honda...Read the beginning of my post. Let me explain.. I hate vanilla. I really hate transverse mounted / front drive. I know there are lots of people who don't get the difference and that is fine. I know what I feel when I drive a car and I hate front drive... So, what does that leave me with. Not much. If only Honda made a rear drive sedan. The Infiniti G is an option. So is the Chrysler LH cars (300, Charger). Or the Pontiac G8. All of them have their own set of issues. So, am I better off where I am? I don't know. What is so hard? Why can't someone build a decent handling, fairly simple, well built larger rear drive sedan?

Last edited by JOsworth; 05-03-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Jeff - is it any better if you leave it in Sport (maybe all the time)?

(There again, I suppose with only a 3.0 the car's wondering how to move at all )

Would your ideal RWD etc car need to have an autobox?

I'm tending to think the only car would be a hybrid - to get past the emissions laws, which look to be a major limiting factor
(but I'm guessing, largely)

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Jeff - is it any better if you leave it in Sport (maybe all the time)?

(There again, I suppose with only a 3.0 the car's wondering how to move at all )

Would your ideal RWD etc car need to have an autobox?

I'm tending to think the only car would be a hybrid - to get past the emissions laws, which look to be a major limiting factor
(but I'm guessing, largely)
Yea I did the sport mode thing. It helps somewhat. It still doesn't erase the (I gotta think) hesitation. Oh, believe me, I know all about the 3.0 so no need to hide behind the couch!
So, one lesson learned. If I look at one of the VERY few domestics it will definitely be a V8 next time.

I would prefer a stick. The last Honda I had was a stick. BTW. My Accords were 4cyl not V6 because the lower torque of the 4cyl helped to reduce torque steer.

A G8 GT and 300C are a lot less complex and still meet emission standards. I'm just not sure if they are built any better....

Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Torque steer's where it pulls to one side due to the engine/gearbox positions causing different length driveshafts? I thought they'd fixed that nowadays?

Comments I've heard about the 300C weren't pretty (like the car lol), especially about handling when cornering.

I wonder about the availability of Australian imports - they tend to be stick shifts.

(Also allegedly have poor cornering, but hey why would you have tight corners in a place that size?)

John

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I don't think you'll be happy with either the Pontiac or the Chrysler. The Infiniti G-series is a great car, and I think you'll have a better chance of staying happy in one compared to either the Pontiac or the Chrysler....

But don't forget the Hyundai Genesis. That car may make and keep you the happiest of all....

A less-costly option may be the car that led you to your current S-Type - a Lincoln LS (if you can find a low-mileage one that isn't too long in the tooth)....

I hear you loud and clear on the ZF transmission. I absolutely detest not being able to check the fluid and service it reasonably. That's my biggest pet peeve with our S-Type....

I hope we can keep our 2005 S-Type in the family for a long, long time. But I won't put up with a money pit - period. If it becomes one, it's gone. I don't care how beautiful it is. And it truly is beautiful....

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Torque steer's where it pulls to one side due to the engine/gearbox positions causing different length driveshafts? I thought they'd fixed that nowadays?

Comments I've heard about the 300C weren't pretty (like the car lol), especially about handling when cornering.

I wonder about the availability of Australian imports - they tend to be stick shifts.

(Also allegedly have poor cornering, but hey why would you have tight corners in a place that size?)

John
Nope to the torque steer going away. Here is a stretch....The first front driver I drove that addressed torque steer was the Berreta GTU with the Olds Quad-4 and 5 speed manual. That was an equal length half shaft car. Much improved over the v6 GT I had. The equal length half shafts and limited slip diffs help but power has grown faster than engineering can keep up. The lower torque "hot hatches" aren't bad but read up on the Mazdaspeed 3. Look at the Acura and Honda sixes once they passed the 240hp level. Heck even Cadillac dropped front drive on the STS once the Northstar hit 300hp.

As for the 300, I actually do like the design. As long as it hasn't been "pimped". Now handling is another thing. I've driven a 6cyl Dodge Magnum and it wasn't bad. Much softer than the Jag and less composed. I'd have to see what the heavier V8 does. As for reliability. I'd have to read up. Two of the most trouble free cars I've experienced were Chrysler built. My 98 Cherokee and Jennifer's 04 PT Cruiser. Not dynamically great cars but never needed anything but oil changes.

Now the Aussie GM cars... Yes, the previous generation Holdens were available here with a stick as the GTO. That's out because it isn't a sedan. Now the G8 is only available as a stick in the supercharged GTP. Great car but is looking to be as collectible as the Buick Grand National. Even the GT's are showing good to great value retention. Damn GM had to kill Pontiac! As far as handling goes. The Aussies hit that one right on. I've driven a stick shift GTO and it was awesome. The reviewing press in the US and Europe have called the V8 Holden cars a "poor man's M5". So I think they would measure up. The jury is still out on the reliability though. I've seen year old G8's with trim bits with the finish worn off. Not a good sign. Then again, I've heard good things about the GTO.

See, I don't mind if my compromise has to be more maintenance and repair of little things that go wrong as long as they are fairly easy to do and don't cost an arm and leg to do. To be honest my Honda's were like that. Little things would break but it was cheap and easy to get the parts.

More than likely I will keep on driving the S. I don't hate the car by any means. I just get nervous that it's going to be a bear once it hits around 80k.

Last edited by JOsworth; 05-03-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

See Jon and John... We've done it again...I feel like a Somalian Pirate of the forum....

Oh, good advise Jon but there is another hitch...Under $25,000 with a warranty and decently low mileage...

Most Infiniti's out there that meet the warranty requirement are in the 27k plus range. Same with the Hyundai. Heck, if you even find a Genesis out there it is a demo and they want over 30k for it.

I haven't ruled out the Chrysler...I've had good experience with them. Even the Dodge Caravan hasn't been too much trouble, yet. Then again, it is an 06 with 45k on it...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

total

Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Oops - sorry!