S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 02 S-type OBD2 = P0795

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just bought 02 S-type OBD2 = P0795

My wife and I just bought a 2002 S-type with 77000 miles on it. It drove the 200 miles home beautifully. That was Monday. Yesterday, Tuesday, the Gearbox Fault message started to display. It still seemed to drive fine until this evening when it started sticking in 3rd or 4th gear. It is apparently not making it into 5th gear. At 60mph the engine is spinning at 4Krpm.

If I turn the car off, the fault goes away for a bit, then begins again.

I took it to AutoZone to read the codes. It came up with the P0795 error code. What does that mean exactly? I saw one guy on her say he fixed his with a clean airfilter? My filter is dirtier than I have ever seen one, but taking it out for 5 minute spin did not prevent the "gearbox fault" code from coming back.

There is not an obvious place to check the transmission fluid. Does that need to be done from underneath? Are there pics anywhere? A digital service manual available anywhere?

Thanks for your suggestions and prays. Thought I was getting a good deal paying $6700 for the car. But it does not feel that way at this moment!

Greg

Old 01-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just bought 02 S-type OBD2 = P0795

pressure control solenoid "c" code p0795

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: morjags pressure control solenoid "c" code p0795
I just purchased this car 3 days ago now. It came with a "CARS" 3mo/15K miles warranty. But I am not certainthe warranty is worth the paper it is written on. And I REALLY hoped to not ahve to find out....

I understand that is whatP0795 means. But WHAT does it MEAN???? I read the codes from here and on the print out. But what is that part actually called? Jag part number? What does it do? Regulate? Is it in the transmission or external? Shadetree or high$ jag fix?

That was the code from last night... Today I went to another Autozone to have them cancel the check engine light (they did not do it last night), and they found a code P0715.

Are P0795 and P0715 related? Ialso started gettinga "Gearbox error" message two days ago. I assume all three are related somehow.

Is it worth taking it to a skilled generic mechanic to check/replace transmission fluid? Or should I go all the way and take it to a Jag dealer? Can I just kick the tire three times and make it go away?

Thanks. Greg

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well your two "P" codes are powertrain... Nothing to do with the compass, they are both transmission codes.. Your gearbox fault is a result of the pressure control solenoid malfunctioning.. The solenoid is inside the transmission and is responsible for regulating the transmission fluid pressure.. If the pcs is stuck open or closed the transmission cannot operate properly.. The pcs, most likely needs to be replaced.. You cannot check the fluid on these transmissions because they are sealed and have no dipstick..

The compass either is in the wrong zone, or it needs to be calibrated.. Calibration is usually nothing more than driving the car in 3 very slow circles to let it find its bearings.. and the zones are usually set using the owners manual and selecting the proper region for where yo live..

And the P0715 is your input speed sensor, which may also need to be replaced..

The parts for these 2 problems are not very much money, but the labor and AT fluid is going to be A LOT.. I would take it back to whoever you bought it from and be nice, and if you get nowhere, start making threats..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Also sorry your having such crappy luck with the Jag.. it seems to be a trend that everyone who buys one second hand ends up getting a basket full of problems.. Usually the sellers know about the problems and just put band-aids on them to get the car out the door and in turn, end up giving Jaguars a bad reputation.. Usually problems with these cars are isolated and once you get your tranny problems cleared up, hopefully your car will be fine..

Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM

So I am taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow. Any words of advice for the shop people?

Wish me luck.Thanks. Greg

Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM

The Black Beauty is alive and WELL again!

The <$5 spring was the fix. This is the one you most likely need if you have the dreaded "Gearbox Fault" message and P0795 OBD2 code on a 5R55N transmission. http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/5R55N_4_3_Pre_stroke_valve_springs_56947J_S1_p/400-056947js1.htm Mine was broken into 4 pieces! It amazes me that a $4.45 spring could kill the transmission of a $30-40K automobile! If you want to see where it lives in the A/T valve-body have a look here: http://sonnax.com/instructions/56947J-S1-IN.pdf and here: http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/56947J-S2.pdf

I took it to a local transmission shop. Since it is a normal Ford transmission they had seen it before and were not afraid to work on it. They changed the spring out, refilled with 7 quarts of Mercon V ATF fluid (still some in the TC area that did not drain - filled hot according to Ford/Jag specs), put in a new AT filter and I had them suck out the rear-end lube and refill it with synthetic. Total it cost me $425 with tax. $75 went into the rear end. A good lot of the cost was labor. It was a 3 man job at times getting the pan down and then refilled again.

I watched most of it and the normal fill tube on the transmission would not accept their pump tube. They had a smaller adaptor but it was still too large to fill without a lot of waste through the bottom "filler tube". Finally, they found another plug at the back of the AT body and filled from there and checked flow and fill levelthrough the normal "fill plug". They also had to drop the valve-body to get the brokenspring out. That was a job. But I think I could do it now that I watched them. The clip was on the top side. So the valve body had to come out to access the clips. But that was good, because then they could check out all the other valves and springs more completely.

I wish I had not needed to spend the money on a car I had just purchased, but I was thinking I would change out all the fluids when I bought it anyway. Now I know for certain the ATF and filter are fresh, the rear-end is fresh and the drive train should be good for at leastanother 70-80K miles. They suggested chaning out the ATF fluid/filteragain at the next 30K interval. I may try that myself, now that I watched them do it all once! Just dropping the pan and replacing the filter and fluids would have run ~$150-200. So changing out the valve spring and checking all the rest was not too much more.

I think I am satisfied. She is running sweet again. The "warranty company" would cover none of it. I think I am going to contact the seller tomorrow and persuade him to pay half!

I hope you never have the dreaded "Gearbox Fault"and Solenoid C error. But if you havethe 5R55N transmission and you get those errors, thenyou likely have the same problem.(If I could get pics to post, I would show you my 4-part $350 spring!)

I feel like going out and driving her some more, just because I can!!!

Greg

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM