Sponsored by:

Just bought 2004 S-type

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 2004 S-type

I just bought this one.

http://www.autoboing.com/master_Deta...tory_id=714047

When I got home it was leaking coolant and had the cracked and/or broken off nipple on the coolant reservoir. So I ordered a new one and am waiting for it to arrive before I can drive it more.

It also has issues with the headlamps pointing down. I found the post on here about that issue, but I haven't yet begun to deal with this problem yet.

I paid $9500 2/20/2010. Overall the car looks and drives great just need to deal with the standard maintenance issues.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and join the club of s-type owners.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM

I am new on the site as well although had a previous S Type V8 for three years and have just bought a 3.0 Sport. The expansion bottle is a common fail. I had to do one last year - an easy but tricky job because of a bit dismantling needed (plastic scuttle/ wipers/ strut brace). Gives you a chance to clean bits that never get cleaned normally. The link pipe is a click fit job rather than a worm drive clip too. Is the dealer doing it or yourself? Get some leather feed on the corner of the driver's seat too where it's showing a bit of wear.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jagucat
I am new on the site as well although had a previous S Type V8 for three years and have just bought a 3.0 Sport. The expansion bottle is a common fail. I had to do one last year - an easy but tricky job because of a bit dismantling needed (plastic scuttle/ wipers/ strut brace). Gives you a chance to clean bits that never get cleaned normally. The link pipe is a click fit job rather than a worm drive clip too. Is the dealer doing it or yourself? Get some leather feed on the corner of the driver's seat too where it's showing a bit of wear.
jagucat, how was the v8 vs v6 and what would you say were the major differences?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

In fairness I've not had the V6 long - less than a week in fact - but first impressions are that it is more comfortable to sit in having the perforated leather sport seats. The V8 I had had the more traditional firm surface leather seats and this V6 is manual rather than autobox so there will be the obvious differences there. My V8 was a sleek, powerful, ultra smooth car with that V8 snarl. The auto was effortless and it gave the impression you were on a magic carpet. One thing that always bugged me about the auto was the delicate feel of the gearshift and the fact that the whole box was renewed at 26,000 miles (under warranty). It had switchable sports mode and 16" wheels as it wasn't an R or anything so maybe not as sure footed if pressed hard - just a V8 Auto as it's advertised. Good fuel consumption for a V8, high 20s mpg overall and I haven't really done much with the V6 yet although so far it's at least up there on the fuel figures. You have to appreciate the engines are totally different. The V8 is a Jaguar design and the V6 is of Ford descent. I am used to the Ford V6 from previous cars.

The cars (Jaguars) are the same dimensions so that side of things is the same although I must remember that the V8 had rear parking sensors and the V6 doesn't! The rest is just cosmetic, interior colours, etc. Servicing on the V8 was minimal as I didn't relish the thought of £140 per hour at the main dealer so fortunately anything it needed post warranty was all done locally. This was really just oil servicing. I had the same brake pads in for three years and they still had plenty meat left when I sold it. In all it was a reliable car and I hope the V6 will be as good albeit in different ways.

The interesting thing is I sold the V8 and my town runabout for a Range Rover and after a while needed a second car. I went back to a Jaguar because I like them.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahigh, welcome to the 2004 S-type club! We're quite an exclusive club you know - limited to only 365 days...

Hope you get the bugs worked out!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Default works

got the part yesterday and had it installed today. cost me $20 to install at a local garage. paid $90 for the part at welshent.com

i didn't want to try to install myself b/c if i broke it i would be feeling stupid. $20 was cheap insurance against that.

still haven't had time to drive it much but went around the block. i am hoping everything else is good on this car... carfax looked clean enough.

car is pretty and i like it. thanks for the tips and for welcoming me. i appreciate it. need to fix the headlights next i guess so i can get inspection.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Ahigh, welcome to the 2004 S-type club! We're quite an exclusive club you know - limited to only 365 days...
LOL!!!! except on leap years of course.

Welcome to jaguarforums guys! Once you get the bugs out, you'll love these vehicles!!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Ahigh, what do you mean about the headlights? Are they just poorly adjusted or is the in car leveller switch turned to low setting? On an rhd car its on the right hand side of the dash near the light switch, a knurled wheel laying flat. Your reservoir is about the same as I paid over here last year for one.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL!!!! except on leap years of course.
Woot! Woot! 2004 actually IS a leap year! Our club is getting more exclusive by the day!!!