S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2006 S-Type R...Time of my LIFE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

And why haven`t you posted pics? Shame on you.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveRogers
Heat soak resolved by thermo-wrapping EVERYTHING. plus, i flushed the radiator with DEI radiator relief Flush, then refilled and topped with 'Water Wetter.' Helped out quite a bit.
all fluids replaced with Synthetic right when I bought her. Diff, tranny, engine... Redline Synthetics.
Headers are heat wrapped and thermo-coated. intake wrapped and taped with heat resistant automotive tape and adhesive. Have patience, spend an entire day purposely just 'trying' to find things to wrap, spray and protect and you'll get some nice results.
You got pics of the thermo wrapping. Curious what that looks like under the hood. Does it look ok or look like you got a bunch of stuff taped up? Just wondering how clean it looks would be interested in seeing pics. How hard was it to get the headers out to wrap? I'm gonna be doing my exhaust soon and if its not too hard since I'll have the cat pipe section maybe I'll drop the headers also and try that thermal wrapping.
Confused about the radiator, you drained all your coolant and are just strictly running "Water Wetter" and water or did you flush it then put 50/50 and "Water Wetter"? If you are doing the water and Water Wetter how did that work in the winter did you have any problems?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd be curious to see how much power that tune adds and what they do to the air to fuel ratio.

One of the common problems with the s type r is the hose under the supercharger starts leaking. It's a pretty big job to swap that thing. My car only had 38k miles on it when it went.

Have fun with the car and get it to the track or dyno!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

SteveRogers, did ya do a pre and post dyno? I'm gunna call Mike of Eurotoys tomorrow and ask him questions on his ECU tune i.e a/f ratio, ignition lead, etc. I've been hedging too long on his ECU tune but since you gave it thumbs up.... Did ya notice an increase in the redline before the limiter kicks in? Have to admit I'm jealous of your wrapped headers. How'd ya unbolt the exhaust manifolds and shimmy them in? Did ya yank the block halfway to place them? How far back are the cats now? Last, what Eurotoys pulley did you go with?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
You got pics of the thermo wrapping. Curious what that looks like under the hood. Does it look ok or look like you got a bunch of stuff taped up? Just wondering how clean it looks would be interested in seeing pics. How hard was it to get the headers out to wrap? I'm gonna be doing my exhaust soon and if its not too hard since I'll have the cat pipe section maybe I'll drop the headers also and try that thermal wrapping.
Confused about the radiator, you drained all your coolant and are just strictly running "Water Wetter" and water or did you flush it then put 50/50 and "Water Wetter"? If you are doing the water and Water Wetter how did that work in the winter did you have any problems?
I've wrapped a few sets of headers in my day Vance and it is much easier to remove them from the car, and with the 4.2 pretty stuffed in the engine bay I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do a good job with them still attached.

Yes dropping them is a PITA but the better results are worth it IMHO. I usually get black header wrap from Jegs and secure it with stainless steel zip ties.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I figured it would be pretty difficult just by looking at them. I was just unsure as Ive never pulled them from the STR. Might have to think about that some more.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quite frankly I wouldn't bother with it unless you already had that a bunch of stuff out of the way for some other reason. The benefits are negligible unless you are running high performance tube headers (stainless) and need to protect surrounding items from heat. I think the stock setup with heat shields is pretty decent to begin with. Wrapping aluminized or mild steel headers with wrap is just inviting rust on a daily driver.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Is "SteveRogers" a legitimate STR owner who performed the mods he claims or a troll? LOL! I'm sorry folks. I just had to throw "this" out there.... LOL!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

....Someone pointed out before jaguar007 is lurking around the threads

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
SteveRogers, thank you for your impression of the Eurotoys ECU tune. This is all I wanted to know. Though my 03 modded STR boogies, I agree that some parts of the power band become flat. I'll post tomorrows dyno results folks then send the ECU to Eurotoys. Be well all.
Er..... how can they tune it without it being in your car as they do so?

That's how I understand tuning is done..... have I got it wrong?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hi jagv8, Eurotoys, Eurotek, Arden, etc. provide custom remaps of the ECU. They can recieve your cars ECU and reprogram it. Jag79! LOL! Her Majestys 007 is gunna hunt us down. LOL!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

I know they COULD remap it (at least I have no reason to challenge that) but surely you'd want an appropriate map - and that means dynoing the car to know which things to change. Doesn't it?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

It also means having someone who knows what they're doing. I'm sorry but I wouldn't trust a re-map to just anyone with the tools to actually make changes. It's their experience I'm the most interested in. How well do they know engines and more specifically supercharged engines. I'm going to be facing this dilema soon because my engine builder who has been helping me rebuild my race engine can only re-map on his engine dyno and it's too expensive to build the setup for my engine so it will have to be done in the car on a chassis dyno with someone else.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Some of these ECU remap outfits have taken STR's to a dyno, re-map the ECU, then sell the program to anyone with an STR. Yo Bob! What up?

Last edited by bfsgross; 04-13-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Yes but you don't want a standard remap if you've changed anything!
Such as exhausts, headers, intake, pulley.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

IMHO, for remote tuning without the vehicle - At best I think you could be offered a slate of remap options (Stage I, II, III, etc) that are calibrated for various levels of additional modifications - hopefully tested on the same model with mods installed. I wouldn't call it "tuned" per say, since that insinuates that adjustments are made to your specific ECU based on data on hand. However the "staging" process could get you close.

This is pretty much how it's done by BSR for the SAAB 9-3, of which I have a Stage II "tune" which is really a generic "level" of calibration based on testing of vehicles having similar mods (bigger downpipe, injectors, intake, etc.).

I might be out to lunch, but that's how the topic floats around in my brain.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bfsgross
SteveRogers, thank you for your impression of the Eurotoys ECU tune. This is all I wanted to know. Though my 03 modded STR boogies, I agree that some parts of the power band become flat. I'll post tomorrows dyno results folks then send the ECU to Eurotoys. Be well all.
Where are the dyno results!?!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
IMHO, for remote tuning without the vehicle - At best I think you could be offered a slate of remap options (Stage I, II, III, etc) that are calibrated for various levels of additional modifications - hopefully tested on the same model with mods installed. I wouldn't call it "tuned" per say, since that insinuates that adjustments are made to your specific ECU based on data on hand. However the "staging" process could get you close.

This is pretty much how it's done by BSR for the SAAB 9-3, of which I have a Stage II "tune" which is really a generic "level" of calibration based on testing of vehicles having similar mods (bigger downpipe, injectors, intake, etc.).

I might be out to lunch, but that's how the topic floats around in my brain.
That may well be semi-OK when the mods are ones the tuner has seen and tuned for, but for other mods (such as Mafioso intake), it'll be quite poor. OTOH, avos has said the stock tune is good so I'd be inclined to stick with it unless proper tuning of the specific car (with its specific mods) on a dyno is available.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
That may well be semi-OK when the mods are ones the tuner has seen and tuned for, but for other mods (such as Mafioso intake), it'll be quite poor. OTOH, avos has said the stock tune is good so I'd be inclined to stick with it unless proper tuning of the specific car (with its specific mods) on a dyno is available.
Agreed - good point.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Drjs, et all. today I left a message with dyno shop reminding the owner (George) to e-mail me Mondays dyno results plus video.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2006 S-Type R...Time of my LIFE!