S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 06 S type V8! have a question about tires.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 06 S type V8! have a question about tires.

Hey guy, thanks to your help I just got a 06 s type V8 instead of V6.

The tires need to be replaced on this car and I went to Costco, because it has sport package on the car, there are only 2 kind of tires I can choose from, Michelin and Bridgestone. And I was quoted around 900 dollars either set of tires, they have the bridgestone but if I want the michelin they'd have to order them for me.

My question is that is the rims for sport package different from regular V8 rims?
Do I have other options for tires that will give me a comfortable ride?
If not, do I go for the Michelin or Bridgestone?

Sorry if that's too many questions for one thread. many thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Costco might only carry only two brands that fit the size of your rims. To my knowledge, the recommended size for your V8 with the Sports package should be 245-40-18. If it didn't have the Sports Package, then 235-50-17.

I always like to go to Sears when it comes to tires. They always have a bigger selection. I remember when I took my S-type there, they gave me 6 different options to go with.

I also heard that Pepboys is a good place to get your tires. I haven't been there yet for tires, but I believe they have a promotion that ends the the 12th (tomorrow..so rush if you want it) where if you buy 3 tires, you get one free.

Regarding which will give you the most comfortable ride...I am not a tire expert but all my friends recommended the Continentals.

I personally have the Falken Ziex. I consider it more of a value brand. I drive fast on the highway and it felt smooth enough for me. Although, that's just my taste.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM

thanks for your reply.

can anyone tell me what the numbers and letter 96H, 93W, 97W etc. mean?
my tires are 235/50 17R 96H so I guess it doesn't have sports package, my mistake.
can I replace those tires with 235/50 17R 97W, 93W, etc. or I must have one that's 96H?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The 97W, 93W, and etc refer to the different load indexes (the number) and the different speed ratings (the letter).

This might help you out:
Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

You current tire, as you mentioned, is a 235/50 17R 96H

That means that it has a load carrying capacity of 1565lbs and has a speed capability of 130mph.

They say to either meet or exceed whatever requirements Jaguar (or any other car manufacturer) recommends.

So yes, you can use another speed rating and load index other than what you currently have, but if you do, I recommend that you don't get anything lower than what is recommended.

Last edited by salmanezkhanz; 10-11-2011 at 11:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kyao (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by salmanezkhanz
The 97W, 93W, and etc refer to the different load indexes (the number) and the different speed ratings (the letter).

This might help you out:
Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

You current tire, as you mentioned, is a 235/50 17R 96H

That means that it has a load carrying capacity of 1565lbs and has a speed capability of 130mph.

They say to either meet or exceed whatever requirements Jaguar (or any other car manufacturer) recommends.

So yes, you can use another speed rating and load index other than what you currently have, but if you do, I recommend that you don't get anything lower than what is recommended.
I really appreciate your help, another question came to mind after reading your post: does the speed rating of the tire affect the ride quality and road noise?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Mainly that would be the sidewall - the more rubber the more cushioning/flexing. Do you have existing concerns with ride/noise?

The handbook should say the various ratings - free to download as the forum says if you don't have it.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

You might be surprised how cheap a new set of name brand tires cost on ebay, even shipped. You usually evade sales tax and even get 2% back in ebay bucks...Once you get them you put two tires in your trunk, the other two in your backseat, head any tire shop and they should install them around $15-$25 a tire...

Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

If you have a Discount Tire store in your area, give them a call. I've found them to be consistently lower-priced than all other retailers in our neck of the woods, and I can usually bargain the price down even more if I know exactly what I want and have done my homework. If they don't stock the particular tire you decide you want, they can almost always order it for you within a couple of days....

Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Mainly that would be the sidewall - the more rubber the more cushioning/flexing. Do you have existing concerns with ride/noise?

The handbook should say the various ratings - free to download as the forum says if you don't have it.
Right now with the stereo off and all the windows closed I can hear and feel the bumps pretty clearly, the tires are pretty worn as the original owner have never changed them. If the tires are not the issue, could it be the shocks that need to be checked if they need replacing?

Sorry I'm not sure which handbook you're talking about.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your looking for tires you should come by my place. Costco sounds like a rip off. I'm in LA close by you. I to have a V8 S-Type with the sport package. E-mail me rushexoticwheels@gmail.com

Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 PM

I found these Tires on ebay, I've seen people say these tires are pretty good on other car forums from a google search.
The load rating on these are 95 and the stock tires are 96, is it ok to get a lower load rating than the stock ones?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM

I'm considering getting Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, tirerack.com says they are compatible with my jag but I found the same tires on ebay saying they're not compatible. My car doesn't have sports package. Can anyone help me figure out if indeed I can use these tires? many thanks! sorry for all the questions.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home - Discount Tire Direct

Free shipping, no tax, and will ship to you or tire shop. Then you just pay your $15.00 mount and balance at the shop. Just ordered a new rear tire and saved $74 over Goodyear ordering one for me. Ordered mine yesterday and will be here Friday.

Last edited by SC Str; 10-12-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,588 Likes on 8,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyao
I'm considering getting Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, tirerack.com says they are compatible with my jag but I found the same tires on ebay saying they're not compatible. My car doesn't have sports package. Can anyone help me figure out if indeed I can use these tires? many thanks! sorry for all the questions.

I think Catniped might have answers to your tyre questions.
I also prefer to purchase items like this locally, so if there's any problems, the local people will be more able to assist.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Discount tire online is good. As is Tire Rack. But if you have a Jag forum member in the business fairly close to you, I would certainly consider stopping by to see what he can do for you. Not only for tires, but just to meet another owner in your area.

Don't get too bogged down in the load ratings. Personally I like to stick with at least a V speed rating on my cars. Owners manual should tell you all kinds of tire specifics for your vehicle as equipped.

What kind of driving do you do? Spirited or mostly cruising? Do you value handling more than ride quality or low noise?

And by the way, Congrats on getting the Jag!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I purchased both Michelin’s for my XK8 & Bridgestone’s for my S-Type from Costco. This was not done without doing a little homework and I say this because you need to do the same. I do not recall all involved but from what I remember Costco will mount, balance and provide road hazard and taxes in the total cost. Road hazard was a big selling point for me and online it was an additional cost. I went on line and priced the tires and found the savings was minuscule. On the webpage you will also see the places that mount the tires for them in your area if you elect to go in that direction. To be fair the cost difference between the two was small and both sell the same tires. I went with the convenience.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyao
I found these Tires on ebay, I've seen people say these tires are pretty good on other car forums from a google search.
The load rating on these are 95 and the stock tires are 96, is it ok to get a lower load rating than the stock ones?
They're fine...BTW, you'll most likley want to get a alignment with the updated specs; S-Types are notorious for excessive inner tire wear...

Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I understand that the 2000 & 01 had a recall on the front ball joints but did not know that other models had a problem.

http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...l%20Joints.pdf

I found this for the 2003

http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...Suspension.pdf
http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...ead%20Edge.pdf

Last edited by Gus; 10-13-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Discount tire online is good. As is Tire Rack. But if you have a Jag forum member in the business fairly close to you, I would certainly consider stopping by to see what he can do for you. Not only for tires, but just to meet another owner in your area.

Don't get too bogged down in the load ratings. Personally I like to stick with at least a V speed rating on my cars. Owners manual should tell you all kinds of tire specifics for your vehicle as equipped.

What kind of driving do you do? Spirited or mostly cruising? Do you value handling more than ride quality or low noise?

And by the way, Congrats on getting the Jag!!!
This is true. I'll get you something with a V speed rating but the key factor is the tire size and brand. Load ratings really only come into play if you had a vehicle you planned to tow with. I really hope you don't plan on towing with your S-Type. Come on by I want to meet more Jag owners Plus I have an amazing!!!!!! mechanic in Passadena that does Jags and Ausotn's only. He is the only person that has driven my car.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jayt2
I think Catniped might have answers to your tyre questions.
I also prefer to purchase items like this locally, so if there's any problems, the local people will be more able to assist.
Thanks Jayt2. Upland isn't so far I'll take car of you.

Quick Reply: Just got a 06 S type V8! have a question about tires.