S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 2005 S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just got a 2005 S-Type R

I'm a Mustang Cobra guy and stumbled on this car thursday. 2005 S-Type R with 76,000 miles. Clean car fax, perfect interior, and everything functions perfectly. I paid just over $14,000. The dealer only had it advertised as a s-type, not a "r". Did I get a deal? Can anybody give me any info on this car I might not have read online? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Snake. This one may be of interest to you if you haven't read it yet:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-05-str-52213/

Meanwhile, you should go to the Intro section and introduce yourself, and also find some things to comment on as one of the requirements for full utility on the forum is 10 posts.

Good luck with it. Lot's of "R" enthusiasts on here, I imagine several will be along presently to discuss it with you

-Zane

Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 99snake
I'm a Mustang Cobra guy and stumbled on this car thursday. 2005 S-Type R with 76,000 miles. Clean car fax, perfect interior, and everything functions perfectly. I paid just over $14,000. The dealer only had it advertised as a s-type, not a "r". Did I get a deal? Can anybody give me any info on this car I might not have read online? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nice. Thats a pretty good deal. Where abouts in NC are you? I need a friend. LOL. Depends on what kinda info you need. What color did you end up with? If you're near Raleigh I'm going to the Cars and Coffee get together tomorrow morning at 8:30 at Brier Creek. If you are near here and want to go post up and we can meet up and check it out. My first time going out there so I dont know what to expect.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Welcome!

Be sure to chat in the forum for new members to get your post count up. Then you can download the many PDFs and also see the photos.

Till then, read old threads and especially the stickies (incl FAQs)

Old 04-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

99snake, welcome bro. I'm a former Mustang Cobra dude too. You'll really enjoy the ride and comfort as well as push form your 05 STR.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its black and all stock. I'm in Goldsboro, NC. I was mainly wondering if there is anything I should know that I havnt read other than basic facts on this car like problems I might run into or not know about.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

To scare you, use Search
supercharger hose

posts by ttwotees

Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Its black and all stock. I'm in Goldsboro, NC. I was mainly wondering if there is anything I should know that I havnt read other than basic facts on this car like problems I might run into or not know about.
Kinda hard to say....not knowing what you've read...but to add to JagV8's suggestion, you may also want to read up on "the lurch" and don't freak out if you get a light show soon, multiple seemingly unrelated caution/warning lights and/or reduced performance mode - your car is in the window to be on the original battery and that possibly on borrowed time - they do funny things as the battery starts to weaken. Transmission "sealed for life" but prone to leak at a sleeve on the pan (right-side? I think?) or frequently at the rubber/hardline interface of the cooler lines. No dipstick, so I'd crawl under and make a good check for tranny-leaks to determine urgency - but your mileage is a good time to do the fluid change (Read up on it and do yourself or find someone who knows what day it is - you don't want to drop it off at Joe's Transmission - specializing in 30 yr old Chevy's) - also a linkage alongside the trans pan with two M8's in it that tend to work loose. There's a thread - can't remember name exactly or whether it has been added to the stickies, but title is something along lines of "Things to check on regular maintenance" and that will also give you a good "insider's" look at what's prone to cause problems.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

A VERY loaded question. You can drive yourself nuts if you want to by looking for "the stuff that can go wrong" or just take as it comes. Just keep in mind that the focus of much of what is discussed on this forum is about just that.

Then there's the hot rod group and they'll have you doing wheelies with your car just inside of a week ...

You won't be able to do some things on here for a while as they limit privileges until you have your post count up.

I'm sure someone has a checklist for cars with higher mileage and that should help out. Try not to panic once you start reading some of the more gruesome sounding threads.

Do you have any service/warranty work/recall history for your car?

Bob S.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

True enough! You might well just drive it for 5 years and do no more than scheduled servicing.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thing to remember about forums such as this. Most come here when they have a problem. Not many post just to say the car is running flawlessly. So what you read can be scary. I'm just happy that I found this site with lots of experiance and even some professional techs.

There is a good writeup in the FAQs on how to do a service and check for leaks. I'd start with that.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

If you wrench on your own cars then you will be better off. Parts aren't what is expensive, it is the labor since it is a Jag.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 03 STR new in 04. I almost hate to say this, but I have not had any major problems to date other than 02 sensors. I have kept up with scheduled maintenance. If I had read some of the problems on the Forum it would have scared me into not getting the Jag. The STR has been like the "fountain of youth" for me taking me back to the days when I had muscle cars. The forum has been especially helpful with tech problems. The expertise on this forum is exceptional. After reading up on all the performance information, I am jonesing to get a little more oomph in the STR. Enjoy your new ride!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Dang you really arent too far from me. My wifes friend lives between Pine Level and Smithfield. If you have any problem let me know I'm close enough I can help you out. I just got back from the Cars and Coffee in Raleigh it was pretty sweet. I was the only Jag though. If you ever want to hang let me know. I need a STR buddy nearby.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

SCAATY, my 03 STR is modded (full exhaust mod., 3 lb. pulley (est. 16 lb/boost), low temp. thermo., K&N drop in a/f, Mafioso air intake elbow, NGK plugs, H&R Sport lowering springs: est. 470 hp). Today a late model (2006?) BMW Alpine 7 tried...but failed miserably to take me from 70 mph on. Get that STR of your dreams then let's all talk.

Last edited by bfsgross; 04-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
SCAATY, my 03 STR is modded (full exhaust mod., 3 lb. pulley (est. 16 lb/boost), low temp. thermo., K&N drop in a/f, Mafioso air intake elbow, NGK plugs, H&R Sport lowering springs: est. 470 hp). Today a late model (2006?) BMW Alpine 7 tried...but failed miserably to take me from 70 mph on. Get that STR of your dreams then let's all talk.
It's Alpina unless your drag racing stereos ...

Hey have you made pre-arrangements for bail yet?

99snake, Here's one of the guys who'll have you doin' wheelies. Be sure to ask about the *** dyno too!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome snake! I got my new to me 03 STR last November and it has been great. I have spent quite a bit of money on her, but it has all been preventative maintenance with a few upgrades. I haven't had a single issue to date.

Vance, loved the coffee and cars pics!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SCAATY
I got my 03 STR new in 04. I almost hate to say this, but I have not had any major problems to date other than 02 sensors. I have kept up with scheduled maintenance. If I had read some of the problems on the Forum it would have scared me into not getting the Jag. The STR has been like the "fountain of youth" for me taking me back to the days when I had muscle cars. The forum has been especially helpful with tech problems. The expertise on this forum is exceptional. After reading up on all the performance information, I am jonesing to get a little more oomph in the STR. Enjoy your new ride!
You've had your car that long and you're just now joining? Start posting!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

I've only done maintanence stuff also. Only had my coolant overflow break but thats common and it was my fault for the final cant drive no more break. I warped a rear rotor but once again my fault with some really spirited driving. Other then that all just regular maintenance. I do all my own work though so I save money that way to hopefully do more performance mods.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Bob, LOL! My attorney (sister) and I are still waiting for the trial date for the 108 mph late Oct. 2010 ticket. A few of my hot rodding patients (including myself) were amazed I wasn't arrested. It's spelt Alpina? He was tail-gaiting for a few miles on the highway likely thinking I was to be easy prey. We were coming to an exit 1/4 mile ahead doing approx. 70mph, so I figured let's see if he'll keep up after I nailed it. I kept the pedal to the medal and approx. 5 cars length between before I had to brake for exit ramp traffic. He jumped ahead then quickly took a right off the exit ramp while I continued on highway. It read Alpina 7, dual pipes on driverside, like a 6 cyl. 535 series. Never new BMW made such a car. Turns out early Alpina's had a supercharged 4.4 belting out 500 hp, 0-60 in 5 seconds. Later cars had a 4.4 twin turbo set up with 500 hp. It was fun guys! The STR really boogies when allowed to breath and spooled up. Next on the menu is a "Chiller" or methyl alcohol system....

Last edited by bfsgross; 04-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Just got a 2005 S-Type R