S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 2005 S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Alpina was an aftermarket tuning company, that well Modifies BMW's. Sort of like AMG used to be a separate company than Mercedes Benz.

At some point Mercedes bought AMG. And BMW has a franchising deal with Alpina now (even though they have their own "m" Bmw Motorsport division.

An earlier version of this is probably what you came across:

BMW North America

Although being a poseur is huge in the BMW and Mercedes worlds. I can not count the number of cars that I've seen that had AMG or alpina wheels AND the badge on the trunk, with no underhood mods. A TRUE B7 would give you a run for your $$. A 745 or 750li not so much....

Take care,

George

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Bob, LOL! My attorney (sister) and I are still waiting for the trial date for the 108 mph late Oct. 2010 ticket. A few of my hot rodding patients (including myself) were amazed I wasn't arrested. It's spelt Alpina? He was tail-gaiting for a few miles on the highway likely thinking I was to be easy prey. We were coming to an exit 1/4 mile ahead doing approx. 70mph, so I figured let's see if he'll keep up after I nailed it. I kept the pedal to the medal and approx. 5 cars length between before I had to brake for exit ramp traffic. He jumped ahead then quickly took a right off the exit ramp while I continued on highway. It read Alpina 7, dual pipes on driverside, like a 6 cyl. 535 series. Never new BMW made such a car. Turns out early Alpina's had a supercharged 4.4 belting out 500 hp, 0-60 in 5 seconds. Later cars had a 4.4 twin turbo set up with 500 hp. It was fun guys! The STR really boogies when allowed to breath and spooled up. Next on the menu is a "Chiller" or methyl alcohol system....

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (04-03-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. These forums seem a little more friendly than the mustang forums. I actually get info on answers here. The service records and carfax show nothing other than routine maintenance. I'm still trying to get a hold of a service manual on the car. I'm anxious to learn more. I'm only 21 and totally ignorant on this thing but loving it so far.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Welome to STR ownership 99snake.

As mentioned here if you just had to rely on the dealer network you would go broke fast!
I usually take mine in for a service a year so I can have the books stamped. I also arrange for a 'health check/report' booking with the dealer, which last time only cost me around $250, which also gives me another dealer receipt. I always bring my own oil/filter to the dealer. Other wise I use local mechanics.
BUT for other maintenance items I will always attempt it first.
In the 3 years/30,000kms of ownership (19,000 miles), here is what I have to report:-

-All 4 lwr wishbones needed new rubber mounts/bushes; can't buy them seperate, needed to buy whole wishbones!. I would have a look at this if you can.
-Hose inlet tube on radiator expansion tank cracked. Have to replace whole unit. Flea-bay.
-Transmission selector solenoid seized. Have to replace whole selector. Flea-bay.
-Rear brake pads. Modified front Alfa GTV pads to suit-cheaper option. Although you might have the downgraded/non-Brembos as standard.
-Recently have had to change the plugs again as some of the points were suspect. All points were changed as well. Flea-bay again.

Otherwise everything else has been routine.

Enjoy!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

George you may have hit the nail on the head. When the BMW took off down the exit ramp I wasn't impressed with the rear wheels and tires. They didn't seem tall (22") nor wide (285) as described by Alpina. The twin drivers-side exhaust pipes on 6 cyl. models are small. Otherwise, it was too short an incident to thoroughly analyze wether this car had the larger wheels or twin driverside exhaust pipes. One thing I thought interesting is Alpina using centrifugal superchargers prior to their twin turbo set up.

Last edited by bfsgross; 04-03-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCAATY, my 03 STR is modded (full exhaust mod., 3 lb. pulley (est. 16 lb/boost), low temp. thermo., K&N drop in a/f, Mafioso air intake elbow, NGK plugs, H&R Sport lowering springs: est. 470 hp). Today a late model (2006?) BMW Alpine 7 tried...but failed miserably to take me from 70 mph on. Get that STR of your dreams then let's all talk.
bfsgross, I like the mods you have done to yours. My problem is I live in a condo so it makes it kind of tough to do any work on the cat. Have you dyno'd your STR?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM

SCAATY, my 03 STR is modded (full exhaust mod., 3 lb. pulley (est. 16 lb/boost), low temp. thermo., K&N drop in a/f, Mafioso air intake elbow, NGK plugs, H&R Sport lowering springs: est. 470 hp). Today a late model (2006?) BMW Alpine 7 tried...but failed miserably to take me from 70 mph on. Get that STR of your dreams then let's all talk.
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
You've had your car that long and you're just now joining? Start posting!
Hi Pushing_Tin

I tried finding the Forum when I first got the cat. Can't quite remember now but I either didn't find this Forum or it wasn't as good as it is now. Over the years I even thought of getting a Vette to compete with my brother who drags his. I was impressed with the Corvette Forum too! Now that the Cat is here to stay and I think the Jag Forum is tops and the knowledge base is top notch.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Scatty, which Corvette forum did you find? Been seriously thinking of letting the MGB go in favor of an early C5.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

SCATTY, Def. understand condo rules. Regardless, the mods I mentioned are best performed at a custom exhaust/install garage. Haven't dynoed her yet but spring is here and a Connecticut performance dyno/tune outfit I corresponded with over the winter awaits my car to measure output. After the front bumber is repainted this week I'll post a video of her prior to and during dyno run. I like to think she belts out over 450 ponies, but who knows if she's near or over this mark. The one thing that bugs the STR is adaptive learning searching for reasons to richen her up and pull back timing and boost. Periodic hard re-sets are necessary to start the process over again.... Ultimately a "Chiller" or methyl alcohol system is necessary if one retains the stock Eaton M112. Perhaps one day a twin screw will be developed for the STR? Enjoy your STR.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey snake, Welcome to the STR club. I'm also a Mustang guy here and a previous Cobra (superformance) owner. My philosophy on buying cars is do your homework upfront, negotiate the price, and then never look back otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy with all the what-ifs Every deal is different and you really can't compare them as there are so many factors to consider. As a for instance, I purchased my wife's '03 loaded (owned by a local sports celebrity's wife) low mileage (42K) STR (and our first Jag) in late 09 for about $14k. I loved driving it so much that I started looking for my own. I found it ('06 STR all black) with $62K and paid $15K for it. Now I could look back on my '03 and think that I paid too much but I never do that because what matters most is that both my wife and I are happy and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by 99snake
I'm a Mustang Cobra guy and stumbled on this car thursday. 2005 S-Type R with 76,000 miles. Clean car fax, perfect interior, and everything functions perfectly. I paid just over $14,000. The dealer only had it advertised as a s-type, not a "r". Did I get a deal? Can anybody give me any info on this car I might not have read online? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 99snake
Thanks guys. These forums seem a little more friendly than the mustang forums. I actually get info on answers here. The service records and carfax show nothing other than routine maintenance. I'm still trying to get a hold of a service manual on the car. I'm anxious to learn more. I'm only 21 and totally ignorant on this thing but loving it so far.
Like I said earlier I'm not far from you at all. I have a copy of JTIS I could so called let you "borrow". (as in copy it for you) I also have an ELMScan5 in case you ever have problems. Got a little workshop area too if you are wanting to wrench to save money. Just have to let me know. Should of went to Cars and Coffees with me Sat there was a huge turnout and would of been cool to have another Jag out there. If you are interested we should meet up for the next one I thinks its May 7th and cruise out there should be a fun little drive.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely like to copy that. I havnt been able too find any chilton or haynes manuals. I would really appreciate it.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
Dang you really arent too far from me. My wifes friend lives between Pine Level and Smithfield. If you have any problem let me know I'm close enough I can help you out. I just got back from the Cars and Coffee in Raleigh it was pretty sweet. I was the only Jag though. If you ever want to hang let me know. I need a STR buddy nearby.
We're contemplating moving to the US, and Raleigh is one of the main choices as its where the company I work for are headquartered. Guess I'd want to leave my RHD STR behind though....

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by subvertbeats
We're contemplating moving to the US, and Raleigh is one of the main choices as its where the company I work for are headquartered. Guess I'd want to leave my RHD STR behind though....
Just get a LHD when you get here. If you take the trip let me know. I'll be here at least another 4 years.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Hey Scatty, which Corvette forum did you find? Been seriously thinking of letting the MGB go in favor of an early C5.

Bodyman, check this one out, www.corvetteforum.com

My brother as a exceptional 1999 C5 Red Convertible that he occasionally drags. It has minor mods and nitrous. I found the Corvette Forum to be excellent like the Jaguar Forum. Good luck on your search

Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM

SCATTY, Def. understand condo rules. Regardless, the mods I mentioned are best performed at a custom exhaust/install garage. Haven't dynoed her yet but spring is here and a Connecticut performance dyno/tune outfit I corresponded with over the winter awaits my car to measure output. After the front bumber is repainted this week I'll post a video of her prior to and during dyno run. I like to think she belts out over 450 ponies, but who knows if she's near or over this mark. The one thing that bugs the STR is adaptive learning searching for reasons to richen her up and pull back timing and boost. Periodic hard re-sets are necessary to start the process over again.... Ultimately a "Chiller" or methyl alcohol system is necessary if one retains the stock Eaton M112. Perhaps one day a twin screw will be developed for the STR? Enjoy your STR.
bfsgross, I used to do some mechanical work in my day (I'm a young 68), my brother (he's a real young 75) and I had a stock car that we raced on short tracks in the Midwest. I just need that extra snap of HP. Your mods sound great. I guess I better start saving the schekels. Let us all know how your dyno runs turn out.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will almost surely have to get the lubricant for the tranny "whooping" noise, it is not a big deal. I have owned 4 Jag S-Type, a 2002 V8 4.0, an 03 V8 4.2, an 07 V6 and now a Limited Edition 05 V8 4.2 Sport Pkg with XK8 Interior. If cost to own is a concern the standard V8 4.2 has been by best experience. I also owned a 03 XJ8 and it was by far the best built of all the Jags I owned. The S-Types are nice, but, they do require keeping an eye out for the tranny noise and also coolant leaks because of the cheap plastic used that will crack in extreme heat or cold. Over the past year residual values of Jags have actually increased nicely due to the limited production and I think a determination of the dealers to raise the pre-owned values. I like that, but, since I am a pre-owned buyer it makes it harder to get a steal on them now.