S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just killed a Pontiac G8 GXP w/ LS3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Nice runs 1320racer. You're running the stock catalytic converters? Have you considered the addition of the Caldoofy intake tube and Mina intake?
Yes, I went back to the stock catalytic converters for two reasons. 1) The 200 cell Magnaflows were just too noisy without a resonator. 2) Both internal catalysts failed and clogged my exhaust system.

I am getting an different intake soon.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320racer
Yes, I went back to the stock catalytic converters for two reasons. 1) The 200 cell Magnaflows were just too noisy without a resonator. 2) Both internal catalysts failed and clogged my exhaust system.

Were those runs on street tires? 12 second passes are pretty dang good!

The following users liked this post:
1320racer (01-23-2015)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Quartz, bet an ETG ECU tune will seal that G8 GXP's fate on both the dyno and the track.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Quartz, bet an ETG ECU tune will seal that G8 GXP's fate on both the dyno and the track.
I was under the impression that ECU tunes/tweaks were not offered to vehicles with the 3# pulley (I also have yet to see a dyno from any STR with an ECU tune). Anyways, I'm not too concerned with peak hp numbers; and on street tires a GXP wouldn't stand as much of a chance; at least not as far as the ET goes, but trap speeds should remain similar.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We differ in ways of racing in how I dislike 1/4 races cause I don't think it shows the full potential of the car, it's more of a battle between drivers in which I have ZERO interest in, I want to see the cars wide open from start to finish @ 50mph to at least 150mph, but hey that's just me. Anyway............. so there's no tune or programmer for the STR???

Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Guys, ETG says they won't offer their tune to STR's with the 3 lb. pulley and we all have 1.5 lb. pulleys! (hint hint). I've checked with the 4.2 s/c XKR and XFR guys: the ETG tune works very well with the 3 lb pulley. ETG hasn't a clue wether the tune harms or not (it's not their tune, they purchased it) The ECU corrects any overage and they still haven't had any mishaps (damage). I'm going for it soon. According to the XKR and XFR guys, the tune is the missing link.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

A small number of tuners/reprogrammers have been mentioned, such as Piasini and a firm in Netherlands I can't recall. Plus some as yet unproven claims from the bunch mentioned already.

Oh and one or two over here, though one went broke recently.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JC-TypeR
We differ in ways of racing in how I dislike 1/4 races cause I don't think it shows the full potential of the car, it's more of a battle between drivers in which I have ZERO interest in, I want to see the cars wide open from start to finish @ 50mph to at least 150mph,
This is so.... I dunno... FUNNY to me.
The idea that 1/4-mile racing is TOO MUCH about the driver is just a chuckler.
But I'm a guy who QUIT drag racing many, many years ago and went to road-racing because I wanted it to be MORE about the driver, not less. (mind you, that's ROAD-racing, not STREET-racing.)

Now, 20 years later, I guess I'm mature enough that I can enjoy both... but I think that any racing which removes the driver component and makes it just about the machine is really just a thinly-veiled penile-comparison. And that's where I lose interest.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Guys, ETG says they won't offer their tune to STR's with the 3 lb. pulley and we all have 1.5 lb. pulleys! I'm going for it soon. According to the XKR and XFR guys, the tune is the missing link.
Please keep us up to date with your tune from ETG if you decide to go that route, maybe locate a dyno near by that can strap your STR down for a before-and-after test as well to see what gains were made with your current set of mods,

Does ECUTuningGroup say their tune removes the 155mph limiter as well?

Originally Posted by McJaguar
But I'm a guy who QUIT drag racing many, many years ago and went to road-racing because I wanted it to be MORE about the driver, not less. (mind you, that's ROAD-racing, not STREET-racing.)
+1, in my early days as a car enthusiast I was enthralled with the world of drag/street racing; It took one lapping day at the local track to totally change my mind and how I go about building and racing cars. It is like the excitment and joy of go-karting only to the power of 100, road-racing is where it's at!

With that said, laying down a shillacking on the street in the style of vin diesel still holds a special place in my heart, and I thnk few of us can deny how satisfying that sort of occasional jaunt on the street can be. Sure, mashing on the loud-pedal from a roll doesn't take much driver skill comparatively, but hey, what better way to flex your cars muscle on the street and break someone else heart?

Last edited by GT42R; 03-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
bfsgross (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I'm luvin it. Well put GT42R.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a dork, I don't know what I was thinking. LOL It was an option. School is making me batty! LOL

bfsgross (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Guys, ETG says they won't offer their tune to STR's with the 3 lb. pulley and we all have 1.5 lb. pulleys! (hint hint). I've checked with the 4.2 s/c XKR and XFR guys: the ETG tune works very well with the 3 lb pulley. ETG hasn't a clue wether the tune harms or not (it's not their tune, they purchased it) The ECU corrects any overage and they still haven't had any mishaps (damage). I'm going for it soon. According to the XKR and XFR guys, the tune is the missing link.
When you order the ECU tune, please please please take it to a shop that has a dyno and dyno it before install and after so we can all see if its money worth spending. I have heard of people telling the difference on NA cars with a simple intake mod which probably doesnt add any power at all (especially high performance NA cars like the Integra Type R of back in the day that already have decent intakes) so I would like to see dyno results before pulling the trigger as it is a pricey ECU tune. Thanks bfsgross and good luck with the tune! If it shows worthy on the dyno, will def be my next purchase.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

I'll definitely do pre/post ETG ecu tune dyno tunes.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Wow, so no one on here has a STR with a tune? That's shocking.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JC-TypeR
Wow, so no one on here has a STR with a tune? That's shocking.
Do a bit of searching. Here in the states you will find years of good intensions and promises but little or no proven results.

If you are interested, I updated post #18 with time slips and video clips of 1/4 mile runs this past Sunday morning. Most runs are within 5 minutes of each other.

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Will do.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Default Dynomax VT mufflers

1320racer, IMOthe Dynomax VT mufflers are the missing link for those who feel the hi-flow cats are too loud. These mufflers do it all: quiet at idle and cruise, only opening open under a full charge, yet still not obtrusive.

Last edited by bfsgross; 03-12-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 AM

1320racer, IMOthe Dynomax VT mufflers are the missing link for those who feel the hi-flow cats are too loud. These mufflers do it all: quiet at idle and cruise, only opening open under a full charge, yet still not obtrusive.
I have done some reading on the Dynomax VTs and they did seem to have some initial quality and clanking issues.

When did you do the install?
What is the part number? 17159 (offset and offset) on page 3?
Did you have any issues with clanking spring valves?
Do you have before and after dynos?

I found this and thought it was an interesting example of using a VT muffler.
Dynomax VT Muffler Dyno Test! Does Quiet Mean Slow?

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-13-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 AM

Now, 20 years later, I guess I'm mature enough that I can enjoy both... but I think that any racing which removes the driver component and makes it just about the machine is really just a thinly-veiled penile-comparison. And that's where I lose interest.[/QUOTE]

I here ya, but i like to see which CAR is the fastest, not who can drive it better, if that were the case, i'd watch road racing like you as well. I've beat cars that I know my car should't beat because of lousy drivers and it drives me crazy because i'd rather see what my car can really do up against the others instead of some guy that mis shifted or took off in the wrong gear. In any case, the driver is the main component, but from a roll, on a mile+ straight, just hit the gas and lets see whos car is the fastest. Just saying........... My opinion and what I LIKE.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fresh On

I have done some reading on the Dynomax VTs and they did seem to have some initial quality and clanking issues.

When did you do the install?
What is the part number? 17159 (offset and offset) on page 3?
Did you have any issues with clanking spring valves?
Do you have before and after dynos?

I found this and thought it was an interesting example of using a VT muffler.
Dynomax VT Muffler Dyno Test! Does Quiet Mean Slow?
1320racer, they're fresh- on. The clanking issue was an old issue that was resolved a while back. The only one available for the STR (center-in offset- out) have 3" inlet/outlet. A 2.25" or 2.5" are not available. They do flow in either closed or open flap position. Without resonators they make a nice non obtrusive note, with resonators they are just what the person who wants peace with a hint of performance sound wants. Underpressure, sorry for hijacking your thread.

1320racer (03-14-2013)

Quick Reply: Just killed a Pontiac G8 GXP w/ LS3 engine