Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a V1 detector.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Just picked up a V1 detector.

Wasn't there a kit available to stealth mount it in the s-type? Does anyone know if it still available?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

V1 site or ebay...There's all sorts of options if you want to spend the big bucks...

It's nearly useless against laser, once the detector goes off they already have your speed...You'll need laser jammers which is legal in most states to combat laser...In my state, lasers on the highways are almost exclusive...

Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

First, congratulations on choosing the best radar detector available. Bacardi 151 is correct, to combat laser, the Blinder is the top name in laser jamming. In Texas where I currently reside, it is K and Ka band radar that is most common.

Laser is used on approaches to urban areas as it was in Orlando.

I use a Val-1 and have Trapster running on my Droid phone.

The level of speed limit enforcement in East Texas is scary outside urban areas. It's a landmine.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know off the top of my head if V1 makes it's own laser jammer add on but I know it has an interface for a jammer...Either way you are going to need two or four "heads" that are mounted in the airdamn, that cannot be hidden behind the grill...

Worse, the fuzz in my state has been hiding on overpasses/bridges to increase their odds of not being seen...Now that they're above you aiming their laser guns at a downward angle, this greatly reduces the effectiveness of the laser jammers...

Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Just be aware that the Valentine is highly detectable so in states like Virginia they WILL get you pulled over for illegal use.

Bell claims that there's is truly stealth at this point in time? I dunno.

I know Valentine ain't cause I got nailed over Thanksgiving. Well, technically my wife got nailed.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Damn that sucks. Could be worse, we could live in DC

Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Just be aware that the Valentine is highly detectable so in states like Virginia they WILL get you pulled over for illegal use.

Bell claims that there's is truly stealth at this point in time? I dunno.

I know Valentine ain't cause I got nailed over Thanksgiving. Well, technically my wife got nailed.
Yup, on V1s own website regarding FAQs...

"Q: Does it find the V1? A: Very likely, according to reports we've been hearing from a few V1 users."

Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaJag
First, congratulations on choosing the best radar detector available. Bacardi 151 is correct, to combat laser, the Blinder is the top name in laser jamming. In Texas where I currently reside, it is K and Ka band radar that is most common.

Laser is used on approaches to urban areas as it was in Orlando.

I use a Val-1 and have Trapster running on my Droid phone.

The level of speed limit enforcement in East Texas is scary outside urban areas. It's a landmine.

Trapster on my droid phone? will check it out right away. Can you give your personal thoughts on how it works? thanks.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Valentine was my detector of choice since '86.

There are lots of car forums advising on stealth mounting with a google search but nothing specific to Jaguar that I could find.....perhaps you can get some ideas from them however.

Unless your reaction time is faster than the speed of light laser detectors just let you know to smile for the photo or the officer.

Their projection band is so narrow there is no doubt that they have the right car.
It is like a pencil beam vs the shot gun scatter and emissions of radar that can give you miles of detection in open country and lots of other targets in urban settings.

Assume trapster is an app updating local speed traps, yes?

I still have my V1 but since it is on the wrong bands for Euro radar and they are so illegal that they have the choice of destroying the detector on the spot or confiscating your car, and useless for laser as I say, there is not much point over here.

It is so bad in Switzerland that it is also illegal for Sat Nav systems to indicate where fixed radar/laser cameras are. No Sat Nav company is permitted to program their GPS systems for them in Switz.

And they have plenty....one friend got ten tickets in 20 minutes between Geneva and Luasanne, 1,000 bucks! With a 100 cameras in Geneva they generate over $300 Million in tickets a year.

Did I mention that the tolerance for over the limit is 1.5km on laser cameras here?

The speed limit on the Autoroute is 120kph...which is to say you have to be within less than 1% of the speed limit to avoid a ticket.

And oh yeah....ticket fines are based on your income or assets for over 30kph or 18mph above any speed limit.

DC and Virgina don't sound so bad now do they?

Laser jammers....hmmm might be worth a shot....but does anyone have hard data that they work besides the guys selling them?

cheers,

jj

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamjax
Valentine was my detector of choice since '86.

There are lots of car forums advising on stealth mounting with a google search but nothing specific to Jaguar that I could find.....perhaps you can get some ideas from them however.

Unless your reaction time is faster than the speed of light laser detectors just let you know to smile for the photo or the officer.

Their projection band is so narrow there is no doubt that they have the right car.
It is like a pencil beam vs the shot gun scatter and emissions of radar that can give you miles of detection in open country and lots of other targets in urban settings.

Assume trapster is an app updating local speed traps, yes?

I still have my V1 but since it is on the wrong bands for Euro radar and they are so illegal that they have the choice of destroying the detector on the spot or confiscating your car, and useless for laser as I say, there is not much point over here.

It is so bad in Switzerland that it is also illegal for Sat Nav systems to indicate where fixed radar/laser cameras are. No Sat Nav company is permitted to program their GPS systems for them in Switz.

And they have plenty....one friend got ten tickets in 20 minutes between Geneva and Luasanne, 1,000 bucks! With a 100 cameras in Geneva they generate over $300 Million in tickets a year.

Did I mention that the tolerance for over the limit is 1.5km on laser cameras here?

The speed limit on the Autoroute is 120kph...which is to say you have to be within less than 1% of the speed limit to avoid a ticket.

And oh yeah....ticket fines are based on your income or assets for over 30kph or 18mph above any speed limit.

DC and Virgina don't sound so bad now do they?

Laser jammers....hmmm might be worth a shot....but does anyone have hard data that they work besides the guys selling them?

cheers,

jj
I haven't driven in Switzerland since 1994 but I didn't get ticket back then. I think I probably left trail of them in Germany though. I saw one hell of a lot of flashes as I drove ...

So has Switzerland change that much?

It sounds terribly restrictive. Maybe you should leave ...

Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

The nice thing is there in the US, many states do not outlaw the use of a laser jammer (lasers are not governed by the same body that governs radar) so laser can be defeated. There are lots of sites that compare the jammers out there and say they work. Since they are active jammers, they send back a stronger signal that is incorrect.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice purchase, however just as an FYI, mine didn't help me when I got caught going almost 150mph lol.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
The nice thing is there in the US, many states do not outlaw the use of a laser jammer (lasers are not governed by the same body that governs radar) so laser can be defeated. There are lots of sites that compare the jammers out there and say they work. Since they are active jammers, they send back a stronger signal that is incorrect.
Is there a list of which states in which it's illegal/legal to jam radar?

I spent the last 4 days in NY state and they were using radar universally but how they were using it was interesting. Some were using instant-on but the bleed through of the usage was easily detectable in the more crowded locations.

The majority were just leaving the damn thing on all the time, state and local officers. I guess they are still going after the fat part of the revenue curve which is mostly people with no detectors in their cars.

I haven't been using my V1 for quite a few years so I upgraded it via their trade in policy and I don't know if it's a change in the unit or what but this thing now goes off on just about every signal there is anywhere. I used to utilize the the smaller "L" setting on my older unit and that stopped the spurious warnings but this version just won't shut stfu. It's very different.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Is there a list of which states in which it's illegal/legal to jam radar?
New Jersey Laser Jammer Laws - Guys of LIDAR

Even in the illegal states, need to check specific laws because they just may be slap on the wrist fines...

With all laser guns, jammers can only "jam" a certain distance...Jammers are weakest to the traffipatrol line of laser guns...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Well if I was serious I would mount it using the rear view mirror. It looks a LOT cheaper to do now!!

Radar-Mirror

Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
New Jersey Laser Jammer Laws - Guys of LIDAR

Even in the illegal states, need to check specific laws because they just may be slap on the wrist fines...

With all laser guns, jammers can only "jam" a certain distance...Jammers are weakest to the traffipatrol line of laser guns...
Thanlks.

So I had a look and ... there's that GD Virginia again!

They must have a bug up their collective a**.

USA Laser Jammer Laws - Guys of LIDAR

But based upon what I see I predict it will become a completely red map in the not too distant future.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The major problem is counties using speed traps to prop up their overspent budgets - I say boycott all your purchases in those counties and make it well known why. I stopped a business locating a factory into Putnam because of the **** county...

Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Good choice on the V1...
love the machine.. great help when reveling to unknown location...
if you have money to spend.. you can have the V1 integrated to the rear view mirrors....

Custom Valentine one radar in rearview mirror - YouTube

good luck...and happy new year..

Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Good choice on the V1...
love the machine.. great help when reveling to unknown location...
if you have money to spend.. you can have the V1 integrated to the rear view mirrors....

Custom Valentine one radar in rearview mirror - YouTube

good luck...and happy new year..
I never saw the value in seeing the detect display in the rearview...Now a projection/heads up display on the windshield would be awesome...To each their own....