S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key remote/deadbolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key remote/deadbolt?

05 stype My remote key locks the car with one push and on the second press it chirps and sounds like a deadbolt latches. Does pressing twice lock the car even moreso providing greater security? Checked my manual and this site for "deadbolt" and I didn't find anything. My apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

db

"the beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

In my handbook it's under Vehicle Security. Maybe yours, too.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Had read that section last night. Doesn't address the chirping (second) mode. Only says that button "Locks and arms the vehicle" no more?

db

Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Mine says something different but you didn't ask about the chirping. It may be that in about 220 pages they hadn't got room for every little detail. Try the workshop manual. It's a LOT bigger.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Quite contrar, I did mention the chirp and what sounds like a second latching. Sorry if it seems trivial...was just wondering??

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

You mentioned but did not ask about the chirp so I answered relative to what you asked. I seriously suggest if you want to know more that you get the workshop manual and spend time digging in it.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM

It appears your manual may have addressed my question but unfortunately mine doesn't. What prompted my question was I thought I had read somewhere on here about a deadbolt or greater degree of security. After reading my manual I could not confirm this...just thought I'd ask. Anyone else care to comment?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as I know, the horn sounds on the second press simply to confirm locking if you aren't watching the light show when the button is first pressed. I would guess that all the locks trigger a second time.

By "arm", it means that the alarm is turned on.

Here's the section from the book.

>>
Vehicle Locking and Unlocking

To lock the vehicle and set alarm
• Press the lock button on the key transmitter, or;
• Put the key in the driver’s door lock, turn the key towards the rear of the vehicle and release.

The direction indicators will flash once, the security light on the top of the fascia will start flashing and, after 20 seconds, the alarm will be set.

If a door, the hood or the luggage compartment lid are open and an attempt is made to lock the vehicle with the key in
the driver’s door lock, the direction indicators will flash five times as a warning that the vehicle is not secure.

If a door is open and an attempt is made to lock the vehicle with the transmitter, the direction indicators will flash seven
times as a warning that the vehicle is not secure.

If the hood or luggage compartment lid are open and an attempt is made to lock the vehicle with the transmitter, the
direction indicators will flash five times indicating that the vehicle is not secure.
<<

It was dark so I didn't see much but this is what it appears is happening.

Last edited by Toller; 10-17-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM

Checked this morning. I sat in the car without the key in the ignition. Locked and unlocked the doors with the remote. First press, locked the doors and generated the light show. Second press....re-cycled the door locks which were already locked and chirped the horn.

IOW, the second press does nothing significant other than honking.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Just as with my other car....I got sidetracked when I thought I read somewhere about a secondary deadbolt. Thanks for the effort!!

-db

"the beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Not much of a test

Try opening the door from the inside in each state.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM

Well....

I wasn't certain if you were just having me on or not ... so I tried it.

With the doors locked to the first postion, I opened from the inside. Not a thing.

So, I locked the doors to the second position and then opened the driver's door. Not a thing.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member

Odd. On other cars the 2nd remote press arms any inernal alarm sensors (ultrasonics) and deadlocks the doors (so the internal handles don't function). Commonly after a short delay, say 30 secs. You didn't leave the key in the ignition?

My STR makes a "thunk" after the 2nd press but not after the 1st, so it's doing something mechanical. I figured deadlocking.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I wonder if there is a difference from region to region.. May be a safety law / requirement that makes the North American cars different than the European market cars...

Like the "no leaper" thing in Europe...

Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I typically use the "chirp" as an audible confirmation the car is locked. I don't know about there being a deadbolt though. I'm not alone since when I lock my car on my way to the office there are a number of "chirps" going off.

Mike

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

There definitely are settings, whether by region or otherwise. Some say the horn sounds but mine doesn't. My indicators flash on the 2nd press, IIRC.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The second press is a deadlock. It is meant to be additional security to deter and make more difficult the act of breaking into the car.You can break the window reach through and open the door on using the first lock - but with the deadlock system this is not possible. I always use it when leaving my car in unfamiliar territory or for a long period of time.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by raygin
The second press is a deadlock. It is meant to be additional security to deter and make more difficult the act of breaking into the car.You can break the window reach through and open the door on using the first lock - but with the deadlock system this is not possible. I always use it when leaving my car in unfamiliar territory or for a long period of time.
How come I can open my door from the inside after the second press?

(yes..a rhetorical question that is actually covered in this thread)

Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

OK, here is my guess.

Please note that this only applies to US vehicles.

First press of the lock button on the fob locks all doors and sets the alarm.

Second press of the lock button on the fob does the same thing as the first but also sounds the horn. The car telling you " I heard you the first time...stop pressing the button"

Jag may have a dead lock feature, but elected to not install it in US cars out of fear that some numb nut would lock themselves in their own car and not realize there is a lock button on the center stack, forcing Jaguar into a class action law suit after multiple instances of starvation....

Sorry...just had to do it... let the beatings begin...

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-22-2015)
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

You could well be right.

If deadlocked, the button in the "center stack" should be disabled (as well as the door handles).

Quick Reply: key remote/deadbolt?