Sponsored by:

King of Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
achysklic - How high up is it?

5 acres. OMG
It's very high, the 5 acres starts at the bottom and goes straight up, the House sits on the highest point of the 5 acres.. You can see for a mile up there.

I think 5 acres is small I really wanted 10-50 acres.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

I meant how high above sea level

That's what affects fuelling etc

Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

George,

Nice place!

Now pack up an move over the border to Pennsylvania already man!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
George,

Nice place!

Now pack up an move over the border to Pennsylvania already man!

I've thought about it. But I work in New Brunswick. Talk about a hellish commute

We do have sites in Ft. Washington and Malvern though, but I don't know if I could get one of them.

The areas in Bucks County etc that are close to the NJ border are ALMOST NJ pricing though... Taxes aren't nearly as bad, im sure insurance is better, and I can carry my guns instead of leaving them locked in the safe, but still. I think if I make a move it's going to be out of the northeast.

Take care,

George

Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

George the place looks great! I am glad you found a company that does reliable work. Are you thinking of painting the green shutters as well when the garage doors get painted ?

Jon, I have been on George about what you discussed for well over a month now. I see both sides of the coin. But the shiny side of that coin is the weather! Couple weeks ago when it was 78 early evening here, George and I were on the phone and as I recall it had just finished snowing there. I mentioned I was thinking of dropping the boat in the water the next day but Joyce was out of town, and I did not want to take the baby this early in the season.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Rick, I understand what you mean. I was talking with my 86-year-old aunt yesterday. She has lived in Massachussetts for more than 50 years now. Her husband died a decade ago, they never had kids, most of her friends up there have died as well. So she lives alone in the same house she's been in since 1960. It's getting more and more difficult for her to take care of even the most simple chores as the years go by. My mom (her sister) has been trying to convince her to move back home to North Carolina for at least five years now. She would have family around to help look after her. But the problem is that Massachussetts is home for her. And even after the very difficult winter they've had (and are still having), I doubt if she'll ever be willing to pick up and move back here....

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
George the place looks great! I am glad you found a company that does reliable work. Are you thinking of painting the green shutters as well when the garage doors get painted ?

Jon, I have been on George about what you discussed for well over a month now. I see both sides of the coin. But the shiny side of that coin is the weather! Couple weeks ago when it was 78 early evening here, George and I were on the phone and as I recall it had just finished snowing there. I mentioned I was thinking of dropping the boat in the water the next day but Joyce was out of town, and I did not want to take the baby this early in the season.
Rick,

What would you suggest as far as a color of the shutters? I'd consider it... Keep in mind the garage doors will be white as of next weekend.

Take care,

George

Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Brick red for a little subtle pop on the vinyl side and bring the brick facade color over to that area.

Or paint em to match your Jag. Nobody here will have that accessory now will they!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Brick red for a little subtle pop on the vinyl side and bring the brick facade color over to that area.

Or paint em to match your Jag. Nobody here will have that accessory now will they!
LOL.. Which Jag?

You think the Brick red would work? How would it look with the shutters on the actual brick themselves.

Take care,

George

Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Nah don't paint those ones on the brick, or if you do just reverse and pick a brown accent, although darker than your vinyl.

Or, if all the same color, a dark slate blue/grey might look good.

Actually they look good as-is IMHO. Unless you got nuthin' to do (yeah right) or are looking for a fight with the inevitable wasp nests behind your shutters, I wouldn't even touch em.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Nah don't paint those ones on the brick, or if you do just reverse and pick a brown accent, although darker than your vinyl.

Or, if all the same color, a dark slate blue/grey might look good.

Actually they look good as-is IMHO. Unless you got nuthin' to do (yeah right) or are looking for a fight with the inevitable wasp nests behind your shutters, I wouldn't even touch em.
They are all relatively new, and the ones upstairs just went back on again this week, after the siding was replaced.

So hopefully there are no wasps nests... especially considering I'm deathly allergic to wasp, yellow jacket and hornet stings. I have been intubated twice, and I even tried to do the desinsitization therapy with my allergist which consisted of bi weekly shots, which I struggled with, and that eventually put me in the hospital in shock.

I think that they are ok (for now). Although I would definitely consider opinions. I'll post another pic up of the house once the garage doors are white. I think that will change the look of the house dramatically.

I've spent a ton of $$ on this house, pretty much everything is new within the last 4 years.

Repaved the driveway
New concrete driveway aprons
New Roof
New windows
New entry door and sliding glass doors in the rear.
New vinyl soffits, and all windows and trim capped.
New siding and new gutters now.

I've also repainted the entire interior, added molding etc.

Next are the big $$$ projects, new hardwood in parts, new kitchens and baths.

Take care,

George

Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well we finally got a weekend of decent weather, and I was feeling a bit ambitious, so I went ahead and redid the garage doors.

I also replaced all the trim that has the rubber door seal with white ones.

It really changed the look of the house. Here's a pic (note requisite Jaguar content in driveway).

Now, I'm still torn on what to do with these shutters.

Tell me what you guys think!

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails King of Ebay-img_0227.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

As Emeril puts it George, BAM!!!!!!

What a difference the doors made, looks like a different home.

Satin or Matte black shutters, not gloss black .

Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
As Emeril puts it George, BAM!!!!!!

What a difference the doors made, looks like a different home.

Satin or Matte black shutters, not gloss black .
Do you really want me to murder out my shutters?

So basically you are saying no sheen at all to them? I usually use semi-gloss for exterior stuff. (That's what the doors are).

Btw getting them to where they are was more of a pita than I thought.

Pressure washed the doors first, then scuffed the original finish with 320 grit. Pressure wash again to get rid of any sanding residue.

Then an adhesion promoter primer, and 3 finish coats (inlcuding in between the cracks so the door looks white when it opens).

Between that and the trim replacement, I spent about 6 hours on them, Let them dry for another 5 hours and then put them down. Everything is fine, no sticking or catching on the edges. I left the door half up to dry so the panels wouldn't stick together. Thanks for the tip on that!

Take care,

George

Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

George,

As Rick said, BAM!! What a difference in freshening up the front of your home. White exterior colors and trim always make a house look larger and more updated....

The shutters look good to me as they are. If I felt I had to change the color, I like Rick's suggestion of a matte black. A matte charcoal would also look good. We went with charcoal ten years or more ago (original shutter color was a strange blue that we never liked), and what a difference that made as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either black or charcoal....

Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. The more I look at it the more I like it.

It's amazing how far the house has come in the last 5.5 years.

This is a picture of what I started with:

The ONLY thing that had been done in this photo is the new front entry door, and storm door. It's nice to have a house that finally everything matches. Instead of adding pieces knowing that it would all come together "someday".

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails King of Ebay-img_0162.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I really like it, just leave it as it is now and she is perfect!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Nope... I'm probably much worse because I buy AND sell there. Mostly laptops, iphones and other electronics. I'm starting to get into craigslist as well. It's a toss up as far as if it's better to deal with ebay / paypal / shipping vs local people.

Which spoiler did you buy? Pics?

Thanks,

George
Craigslist?!? You're a hooker, too?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Shadow Bear
Craigslist?!? You're a hooker, too?
How do you think I afford all this crap!

Take care,

George

Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Man did this go off topic.........

Look closely George, not exact color(s) but:

Attached Thumbnails King of Ebay-george.jpg  

Quick Reply: King of Ebay