S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor 2 circuit low

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 05:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Knock sensor 2 circuit low

Hi again, can anyone tell me please where this sensor is ? Does the supercharger need to be removed and can anyone recommend a supplier and poss a part num for a bank 2 knock sensor?

Old 08-01-2023, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Does the Electrical Guide say where? It usually does if you look carefully.

Or the workshop manual?

Etc

See JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 08-01-2023, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Here you go:

http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...signations.pdf

Read the bulletin carefully, as the location designations are a bit confusing. You're in luck, as #2 knock sensor is fairly easy to access. Here's a picture shamelessly stolen from eBay, showing the sensor (secured by a single bolt) between the exhaust manifold and starter. Note the starter has been removed, but you can see the hole in the plate at the left where it would fit:

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

What year is your STR? I’m pretty sure that on my 06 STR those knock sensors were not easy to get to and yes I believe we have to remove the supercharger to get to them. I know that when I had my supercharger off I replaced both of mine because I didn’t want to have to go to that fiasco anytime soon and knock sensors were cheap as compared to the intense labor it took to remove the supercharger to get to them Because they located in the valley between the heads under the supercharger. At least on my 06 they are

Old 08-01-2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Here you go:

http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...signations.pdf

Read the bulletin carefully, as the location designations are a bit confusing. You're in luck, as #2 knock sensor is fairly easy to access. Here's a picture shamelessly stolen from eBay, showing the sensor (secured by a single bolt) between the exhaust manifold and starter. Note the starter has been removed, but you can see the hole in the plate at the left where it would fit:

I'm actually asking for my mechanic, just reading the post below, hes fairly sure its under yhe supercharger but hes on an 06 so... Perhaps different? Mine is the 02. I cant open that pdf link btw. Thank you everyone for your help 🙂

Old 08-01-2023, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Flappers
I'm actually asking for my mechanic, just reading the post below, hes fairly sure its under yhe supercharger but hes on an 06 so... Perhaps different? Mine is the 02. I cant open that pdf link btw. Thank you everyone for your help 🙂
That PDF was for a 3.0 L engine which is not super charged

Old 08-01-2023, 09:45 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Knock sensors are mounted to the block between the cylinder heads.

Have someone competent remove the supercharger to replace the sensor(s) and the coolant hose that runs under the supercharger on the AJ33S/AJ34S.

Flappers (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Knock sensors are mounted to the block between the cylinder heads.

Have someone competent remove the supercharger to replace the sensor(s) and the coolant hose that runs under the supercharger on the AJ33S/AJ34S.
Thank you! Should I have both the sensors and the coolant hose replaced at the same time?

Old 08-02-2023, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

This thread makes me smile a bit because yesterday I finally had my 2005 STR delivered to my mechanics shop after sitting for almost 4 months. Together we assembled a list of all the parts supplied utilizing the Jag vintage website and countless hours on my part cross checking everything. I gave up on the tools that used to work on the forum after too numerous miscues and now at least one piece of malware I need to remove. The car arrived fine, all clean and ready for repair though already partially disassembled.

He had pre-ordered the parts which were all there in a big box. The box was about 2x3x3 ft and when I looked inside, the pile of parts didn't even come up to 6" tall. What a deal for $1,700. I was reminded of that old Peggy Lee song "Is that all there is?"

For my car there are two knock sensors but trying figure out which were the right ones was a mystery even with the Vintage Jag parts website. The vin# ranges aren't always complete. But since he's so close to and used to work at Jaguar headquarters here in NJ he'll be able to return with any wrong parts and get the right ones. That would be much harder if I had ordered them myself. I saw some knock sensors where there are two on a single harness with a single plug. I think the ones on my car are two separate assemblies and they are $180 each!

If you can get a tech who has done the supercharger removal before and gawd yes replace all the hoses, the climate control valve and possibly the EGR too!

Old 08-02-2023, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Guys,

Seems to be some confusion here. Per his signature, OP has a 2001 V6 (normally aspirated). However, he asked about a supercharger, which would be a 2003+ Type R V8. Which engine are we talking about?

The knock sensors are in different locations for the two engines, so we should get this sorted out.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Sorry I was confused as you did not tell us what car and you show a V-6 model in your signature?

Can you post the actual code?
I have found it's very rare for the knock sensors to go bad and I would suspect cabling at this point?

Here are where both knock sensors are located and yes the SC needs to come off.
As was posted above ANYTIME the SC is removed change that crappy $25 hose under the SC! This is a big weak point in the STR. The part is cheap and simple but the labor to get to it is large.

It really is the time to replace all 23 coolant hoses too. Change SC oil and/or bearings if needed. I am not a fan of pulley upgrades on these old Heaton M112 blowers but they are out there if you want to go that way. New coolant for sure.

I have posted this many times before but when the SC is removed it's very common to have a vacuum leak in the SC elbow where it connects to the PB booster. Since the SC will be off anyway I recommend to replace that ridiculously complicated failure prone factory fitting with a simple $5 brass 90 degree fitting.
We have several very large threads on this. But your choice.

How is your heat and AC? Have you replaced the DCCV yet? Your right in there and it is a bit buried otherwise.
Also look at the center of that picture because this is the only time you will even see the AC expansion valve. I don't recommend changing it but now is the time to work on it if needed.

Last edited by clubairth1; 08-02-2023 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
JagV8 (08-02-2023), NBCat (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 01:14 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by Flappers
...Should I have both the sensors and the coolant hose replaced at the same time?
Yes, as noted in other posts above. Since the supercharger is removed, replace the parts that require its removal.

I personally haven't seen one of those expansion valves fail, but if they do, it's a labour intensive job to reach it.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Sorry I was confused as you did not tell us what car and you show a V-6 model in your signature?

Can you post the actual code?
I have found it's very rare for the knock sensors to go bad and I would suspect cabling at this point?

Here are where both knock sensors are located and yes the SC needs to come off.
As was posted above ANYTIME the SC is removed change that crappy $25 hose under the SC! This is a big weak point in the STR. The part is cheap and simple but the labor to get to it is large.

It really is the time to replace all 23 coolant hoses too. Change SC oil and/or bearings if needed. I am not a fan of pulley upgrades on these old Heaton M112 blowers but they are out there if you want to go that way. New coolant for sure.

I have posted this many times before but when the SC is removed it's very common to have a vacuum leak in the SC elbow where it connects to the PB booster. Since the SC will be off anyway I recommend to replace that ridiculously complicated failure prone factory fitting with a simple $5 brass 90 degree fitting.
We have several very large threads on this. But your choice.

How is your heat and AC? Have you replaced the DCCV yet? Your right in there and it is a bit buried otherwise.
Also look at the center of that picture because this is the only time you will even see the AC expansion valve. I don't recommend changing it but now is the time to work on it if needed.
Apologies, I've updated my info and thanks for the help it's really appreciated 🙏 Can anyone suggest alternatives to Jaguar for the parts, a cheaper option? Or should I buy from them directly? Where will I buy parts for the supercharger too please? Just to have it working to its peak?

Last edited by Flappers; 08-02-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:46 PM

I know when I bought the car it has had a recon engine in, and the AC works very well. The vendor explained that a long AC pipe had been replaced and the system overhauled and fixed. To what extent I don't know...

Last edited by Flappers; 08-02-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

No problem but you can see that we really need all the car info to even begin to help.
Great news that the AC is good too! One less problem to fix.

There is not much aftermarket for Jaguar parts. I get the factory part number first and start searching from that point. Sometimes you will be surprised at what's available on EBay and other non-factory places! Next it's JLR so nearly every Jaguar part also has a LR part number. Sometimes this fact will help you find something much easier. But finding the factory part number is critical. Also all Jaguar's parts are related to the last 6 digits of your VIN. They cars go for years without looking too much different but they are constantly upgrading and changing parts.

Also if you plan to keep the car the only way it will work is if you can DIY the repairs. These are just cars with 4 wheels and an engine with a transmission. So nothing out of the ordinary. But they are not common so there are few with experience which is a real big problem!

So next I would recommend getting the factory documentation so you can research stuff on your own. This would be the JTIS (Shop manual) and the JEPC (Parts catalog) and I have found you really need the factory SDD. SDD is the Jaguar Factory "scan" tool and much, much more. Now the SDD stuff is a large project in and of itself so at first to keep from getting bogged down in software issues just get a working JTIS and JEPC. Currently we are also using JPART with the JEPC because of the removal of flash player from the software market.

Both are free and while they take a little bit of work to install it is well worth it. The software is all free because it was never released to the public. It's only for Jaguar's internal use. But it's the best and only things we have at the DIY level. Also since Jaguar is a small company the JTIS is only available in English. So for others to use the manual it's mainly written with pictures and diagrams with arrows and real lack of any kind of words to help clarify just what the hell they are talking about!!

Flappers (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

There is not much aftermarket for Jaguar parts. I get the factory part number first and start searching from that point.
Here's a good reference for finding Jaguar part numbers:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...-s-type-parts/

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
Flappers (08-04-2023), Staatsof (08-05-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 01:43 AM

So next I would recommend getting the factory documentation so you can research stuff on your own. This would be the JTIS (Shop manual) and the JEPC (Parts catalog) and I have found you really need the factory SDD. SDD is the Jaguar Factory "scan" tool and much, much more. Now the SDD stuff is a large project in and of itself so at first to keep from getting bogged down in software issues just get a working JTIS and JEPC. Currently we are also using JPART with the JEPC because of the removal of flash player from the software .
Thank you for this 👍 Can you please tell me where I download the software and where I buy the lead to read the data from the car please?

Old 08-04-2023, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Here's a good reference for finding Jaguar part numbers: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...-s-type-parts/
Thank you 👍

Last edited by Flappers; 08-04-2023 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

We have had the forum moderators request to keep the SDD stuff in the current monster threads. So I don't want to add to that.
Do searches on SDD and you will see hundreds.
It's a big subject with lots of variations so you need to decide on several things before hand?
Such as what OS. Virtual machine or not. Connect to the internet after installing or not. Be prepared to wipe and install a couple of times. I ended up with a cheap used laptop that I only use for SDD.

Even choices on which cable interface because there are a couple of those too.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

There is not much aftermarket for Jaguar parts...
One important tidbit I forgot to pass along for parts:

During this era, Jaguar was under the Ford corporate umbrella. Our cars have a LOT of Ford parts, and many of us have used this knowledge to our advantage. In many cases, the parts sitting on the dealership's shelves are Ford parts in a very expensive Jaguar box. You may find a Jaguar part stamped number on the Ford parts, apparently printed with very expensive ink. Judging by the price, the primary ingredient of this ink is unicorn tears.

So while there may not be a lot of conventional third-party aftermarket stuff available, you can still save a lot of money sourcing parts via Ford channels. This thread has some confirmed parts, but unfortunately the format is rather unwieldy:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ars-faq-37066/

Another great resource for parts lookup is RockAuto. I've had great results ordering directly from them. Although it may make me a bad person, I've also used their results to order from other sources.

https://www.rockauto.com/

Look up a part, such as brake discs, and you will see many options of varying price and quality. Stay away from the cheaper stuff, as you do get what you pay for. But you will typically see quality name brands in there, too. Whenever I see Motorcraft, that's what I like to purchase as that is Ford's semi-independent line of retail parts, basically the same stuff you'd get through the dealer.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor 2 circuit low