S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock on Suspension RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Got it.. for next time

One event that did happened (not related to this post however - but do relate to the garage visit:
Changing the plugs require removing the air intake manifold. We took the car with the mechanic to test drive when finished and seemed to be ok.
I then went to clear the bill, about half an hour the car was standing.
When I wanted to leave the place, I couldn't start the engine. I called the mechanic and we thought first the alarm immobilizer is active. But as it turned out - after several attempts the "check engine" light turned on!!!
I recall seeing here in the forum stories where people return from the garage and had their car at faults.

We connected the diagnostic computer and had few manifold valves and vacuum faults. We had to dismantle the whole manifold and found the vacuum tubes broken, split from the vacuum port. They were so dry and stiff from age and heat that they broke like glass when reinserted. We also found a broken wire that was torn from its connector behind the manifold - but I suspect it was torn by the mechanic when he digged for the fault at the first place. Lucky he took responsibility and replaced the hoses with non-original ones (I think it doesn't matter - the new one are ok) and we fixed the wire with new connector he had.
All in all - the car run smooth and no extra charge. But that means that any garage work may open a door to new faults made due to dried and stiff tubes, new leakages are possible (vacuum, water etc) so the car must be inspected carefully after a repair or maintenance until sure everything is ok...
Had to post it - had a long day

Originally Posted by tbird6
OK Thanks for that! I think the term is turning the rotors rather than treating them. That's what thru me off!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-15-2015)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
OK Thanks for that! I think the term is turning the rotors rather than treating them.
Known as "skimming the discs" in English english

Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Heck, English may not be his first language but in any case he's doing well I reckon!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I was referring to the American use of the phrase "turning the rotors" - which sounds more like part of the pre-flight checks on a Huey than a maintenance procedure on a car

Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Irrespective of the name, it's an unnecessary and wasteful practice in 99% of cases. Simply using a coarse 'scotchbrite' type pad will remove the deposits that cause squealing or shudder.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Irrespective of the name, it's an unnecessary and wasteful practice in 99% of cases. Simply using a coarse 'scotchbrite' type pad will remove the deposits that cause squealing or shudder.
Well, Skimming the disks or turning the rotors and scotchbrite rub did not removed the squealing and shudder screams yet... I suspect that the pads have to errode to the flattened disk face or be replaced...
Either case, it's only an annoying sound and braking action is great.

I purchased and ELM327 scanner to fetch some data from the car, it's a tiny bluetooth chinese type and I will pair it with my tablet with "Torque OBDII" application. I still suspect that the maintenance and cleaning of carious parts left me with minor vacuum leaks, I will study in the forums here how to address and pinpoint the issue.

I become friend with the mechanic at the service place, I think it is a must to have someone to consult when issues show up.

One further comment I must say:
The car is awesome to drive!! It has lot of muscles, fast, responsive, quiet while cruising highway and very comfortable.
I am so glad I got it. It was totally unplanned to fetch such a type of car, I was looking for factory new Kia Piccanto in the first place, but price of the Jag 2007 was lower and it's condition was so good I found myself forgetting my targets...

Last edited by orlee; 11-06-2013 at 11:28 PM.