S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noise - rear passenger area

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Knocking noise - rear passenger area

This is really starting to bug me, at first I thought it was the child car seat base, nope, then I thought it was the seat unlatched or seatbelt "knocking" over some bumps, nope.

It doesnt happen at higher speed 40mph+, only relly cruising around town, and its not every bump, just some. Hard to explain, but it is a legit knocking noise towards the rear, corner area of the passenger side door. Could it possibly be the door, or shocks? Its not the window, drove with it down and it still happened. I have no idea how to diagnose this given it only happens while I'm driving.

ANYONE have a similar experience or noise????

Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Mine's more toward the front, right side if anything...NEVER hear it except in and out of the driveway. Had the car (2003) up on the lift and pushed/pulled/shook on everthing. All tighter than Dick's hatband. No idea what it is. Definitely an undercarriage-type thump.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Rear ARB?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Make sure that your jack parts are secure in the trunk. Sometimes noises occur there but due to design and materials, they sound as if they are originating elsewhere....

Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Control arm bushings?

Check your rear suspension for any loose nuts/bolts, shock tower, etc.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Nothing loose in the trunk area, and too cold outside to be checking out rear suspension but given that it is so pronounced inside the vehicle I dont think it could be that. Anyone have any issues or know of issues regarding noise coming from window components inside the door, or even the latching mechanism making this kind of noise? Im ready to tear everything apart, just wish it wasnt in the 20's outside.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I reckon a rear passenger who's willing to move around a bit and listen could be the answer. And try having the windows down, cold though it is. Wear coats

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
I reckon a rear passenger who's willing to move around a bit and listen could be the answer. And try having the windows down, cold though it is. Wear coats
I hear ya, however my baby is usually my back seat passenger, and on weekends baby comes with wife and I everywhere...just gonna have to wait until I can get one of my guy friends to drive or get back there to see what the hell is going on.

Was just wondering if anyone had similar issues due to window/door components or the female door mechanism.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
I hear ya, however my baby is usually my back seat passenger, and on weekends baby comes with wife and I everywhere...just gonna have to wait until I can get one of my guy friends to drive or get back there to see what the hell is going on.

Was just wondering if anyone had similar issues due to window/door components or the female door mechanism.
LOL Is that code for the wife isn't allowed to drive?

What ever happened with your fog lamps btw?

Take care,

George

Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
LOL Is that code for the wife isn't allowed to drive?

What ever happened with your fog lamps btw?

Take care,

George
Oh man, she drives it, but it makes me nervous. We have set forth some strict ground rules.

#1 Park as FAR away from other cars as possible when you go shopping...if this is not possible, park where there is a median or barrier on one side, cuts the chances of a door ding by half.

#2 Take WIDE corners, DO NOT turn tightly. If you do turn tight, you will either run over a curb, or scratch the sh*t out of my pertruding rim against the curb.

#3 Do not tailgate. You will hit the person in front of you, on top of getting salt and sand chips on the front bumper.

#4 Be careful with your rings and keys while opening the door, paint scratches.

#5 Texting and running over enormous new england potholes is NOT ok. It causes damage.

#6 last but not least, if you have any question while backing up if you are too close to the car or other hard object behind you, you probably are. Make it an 8 point turn if you have to. Bumpers scratch and dent which costs money to fix.

My foglight mod is on hold until the spring when I get my front bumper re-sprayed.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

LOL Bull...best of luck in her adherence to standard procedures set forth!
not trying to be overly sexist or anything...but you may want to add one somewhere above "#6 last-not-least" and renumber....about a standard place to put the keys when she gets home AND a reasonable standard as to where, in her many different purses she puts 'em whilst she's out.....try replacing one down at your friendly local dealership and you'll understand.....

Good luck and enjoy your ride

Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Oh man, she drives it, but it makes me nervous. We have set forth some strict ground rules.

#1 Park as FAR away from other cars as possible when you go shopping...if this is not possible, park where there is a median or barrier on one side, cuts the chances of a door ding by half.

#2 Take WIDE corners, DO NOT turn tightly. If you do turn tight, you will either run over a curb, or scratch the sh*t out of my pertruding rim against the curb.

#3 Do not tailgate. You will hit the person in front of you, on top of getting salt and sand chips on the front bumper.

#4 Be careful with your rings and keys while opening the door, paint scratches.

#5 Texting and running over enormous new england potholes is NOT ok. It causes damage.

#6 last but not least, if you have any question while backing up if you are too close to the car or other hard object behind you, you probably are. Make it an 8 point turn if you have to. Bumpers scratch and dent which costs money to fix.

My foglight mod is on hold until the spring when I get my front bumper re-sprayed.
That's awesome... I copied and pasted this into an email to my girlfriend...

If I were you I'd do the lights before the spray, then just pull them out for the respray, that way any adjustments / tweaks will be hidden by the respray.

Take care,

George

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I also forwarded Bull's list of spousal driving requirements to my wife. I fully expect a swift kick in the kidneys tonight shortly after falling asleep....

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22,037 Likes on 8,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I also forwarded Bull's list of spousal driving requirements to my wife. I fully expect a swift kick in the kidneys tonight shortly after falling asleep....

Be careful. it may not be your kidney's she'd aim at...

Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I feel for Bull 27 on the improper noise from the rear of his S-type. I've have one which is proving VERY hard to locate, in the same area, and I have a lot of experience from the past tracing rattles and squeaks. My noise is a kind of plasticky "bobbling" noise coming from the same place, the rear left passenger area when facing frontwards. It's not there, or not so bad when cold and having just set off, it comes on after a while as the car warms up. The road noise from the rear also has musical overtones at around this audio frequency. I've checked every joint underneath, nothing loose. The MOT inspection was only the other day, and showed no loose joints in that area, although there was one, now fixed, on the otherside (lower wishbone metalastick joint worn). I have been in the boot/trunk lid area, as tapping same with my knuckles produced a similar sound, packed it with insulation, no difference. I've tightened the lock's catch so the lid is firmer -- no difference. I've been all round the rear door on that side -- nothing. I've dismantled everything in the spare wheel area -- nothing.
So if anything comes to light Bull 27, DO let me know. Will be eternally etc.
Leedsman.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
I feel for Bull 27 on the improper noise from the rear of his S-type. I've have one which is proving VERY hard to locate, in the same area, and I have a lot of experience from the past tracing rattles and squeaks. My noise is a kind of plasticky "bobbling" noise coming from the same place, the rear left passenger area when facing frontwards. It's not there, or not so bad when cold and having just set off, it comes on after a while as the car warms up. The road noise from the rear also has musical overtones at around this audio frequency. I've checked every joint underneath, nothing loose. The MOT inspection was only the other day, and showed no loose joints in that area, although there was one, now fixed, on the otherside (lower wishbone metalastick joint worn). I have been in the boot/trunk lid area, as tapping same with my knuckles produced a similar sound, packed it with insulation, no difference. I've tightened the lock's catch so the lid is firmer -- no difference. I've been all round the rear door on that side -- nothing. I've dismantled everything in the spare wheel area -- nothing.
So if anything comes to light Bull 27, DO let me know. Will be eternally etc.
Leedsman.
I am determined to figure this out. I also can produce a similar noise if I tap above the wheel well in the trunk....I just really, really hope its not coming from inside the door or the door latch itself. I mean what could really be loose in the latch??? It just started a few months ago when the weather became really cold. Just so irritating, especially since everything else is as quiet as a kitten (except for the exhaust of course :-)

Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

I am determined to figure this out. I also can produce a similar noise if I tap above the wheel well in the trunk....I just really, really hope its not coming from inside the door or the door latch itself. I mean what could really be loose in the latch??? It just started a few months ago when the weather became really cold. Just so irritating, especially since everything else is as quiet as a kitten (except for the exhaust of course :-)
Um Joe...

Open the door and repeat your tap test. That will tell you if it's the door or the latch.

Take care,

George

Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Um Joe...

Open the door and repeat your tap test. That will tell you if it's the door or the latch.

Take care,

George

I have, but I was thinking maybe it is the latch or part of it banging against that "male piece" that sticks out of the body....if that makes any sense. I dont know what these freaking parts are called.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Striker....

but "male piece" has far greater connotative properties....

If it is a bit of play between latch and striker, you may be able to reproduce it by pushing on, and releasing the door while it is closed. Also, maybe with the door slightly open, try to wiggle it up and down vertically to see if there is any play in the hinges, that would allow the latch to "bounce" on the striker while you are underway. I really doubt either of these, but as weatherstripping wears, you may develop a bit of play in the door latches that would indicate an adjustment is due.

The following users liked this post:
Bull27 (02-11-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Note on 'rattly' door catches -- I've had cars like this, the fix was painting the latching area with molygrease for cv joints I happened to have, with a paintbrush for the purpose.
Leedsman.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise - rear passenger area