S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noise top of engine??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 07:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Knocking noise top of engine??

Hi - please advise. The S-type R has 50,000 real miles, but since 2 days I have a knocking noise top left of engine as you look from the front.

Please see video and tell me its not serious and expensive.

D

Old 11-15-2023, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Remove the SC belt and start the engine.
Is the noise gone or different?
Removing the SC belt will cause no problems except the car will have no power.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:04 AM

Thanks - will see tomorrow if I can do this - is it relatively easy?

Old 11-16-2023, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Have you ever changed a serpentine belt?
All that is needed is to push the tensioner back and slip the belt off. Takes a long wrench or use a tool made for that. There are several but for years I just used a regular ratchet and extensions.
Do remove the belt completely so it doers not get wadded up in the engine.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:49 AM

[
Thanks again. I just ran a diagnostic. Gives me -

P0171 System too lean bank one.
P0307 Cylinder 7 misfire detected
P1316
P0057 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Does this help your thinking.
I'm not a hands on with later engines.

QUOTE=clubairth1;2695691]Have you ever changed a serpentine belt?
All that is needed is to push the tensioner back and slip the belt off. Takes a long wrench or use a tool made for that. There are several but for years I just used a regular ratchet and extensions.
Do remove the belt completely so it doers not get wadded up in the engine.
.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-16-2023, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Good progress! Helps if you tell us what code reader you used as there are so many different ones? Also I know it's an STR but we do need complete car details (what year?) to provide anything of value.
Now erase the codes and drive some more so we can see what comes back. We want the car to tell us what's wrong and since codes are stored we don't know if the codes you show are current or from sometime in the past?

The miles are low but it is an old car so you might want to budget replacing the plugs and maybe the coils in the future.
BUT let's get to the bottom of this knocking first. I "assume" you have done things like make sure the oil level is correct?
Sometimes the SC can knock which is WAY better than having that noise coming from the engine!

Report back after you remove the belt. That will point us in the right direction.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 02:09 PM
Default Codes are current.

I use well known UK Gendan Automotive Products diagnostic.

The P0057 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 2) was there for some time, but the other codes are after a complete reset, so current .
Car is S type R supercharged 2003
The oil level was low but I refilled.

Will try re belt removal tomorrow

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Good progress! Helps if you tell us what code reader you used as there are so many different ones? Also I know it's an STR but we do need complete car details (what year?) to provide anything of value.
Now erase the codes and drive some more so we can see what comes back. We want the car to tell us what's wrong and since codes are stored we don't know if the codes you show are current or from sometime in the past?

The miles are low but it is an old car so you might want to budget replacing the plugs and maybe the coils in the future.
BUT let's get to the bottom of this knocking first. I "assume" you have done things like make sure the oil level is correct?
Sometimes the SC can knock which is WAY better than having that noise coming from the engine!

Report back after you remove the belt. That will point us in the right direction.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You want to fix the O2 issue fast or you may badly damage the catalytic converter.

Then see if the P0307 recurs & if so swap coil with another and see if the fault moves (bad coil if so).

sunshinesdad (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 296 Posts

I, too, would tackle the "P0307 Cylinder 7 misfire " first, i.e. check and/or swap ignition coil and/or spark plug.

Other than that I think you got a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

...Here I had added the link to a youtube video, but the video on youtube was programmed not to play, when linked somewhere else - hence, search for

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Theme Song

on youtube....

Add a rhythm guitar to your own Jaguar Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and you got a chart-topper...

PS: Your noise has to come from somewhere... - find that "somewhere". That popping noise gives the impression it comes from the water pump. But that is a pure guess.
Did your check the coolant level?
Use a mechanics "stethoscope" to find the source of the popping noise: Take a huge screwdriver and hold the metal end to all the different places, where the sound seems to come from and hold the end of the grip to your ear. That way you hopefully figure out, where the noise comes from.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 11-16-2023 at 03:46 PM.
sunshinesdad (11-17-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 08:35 AM
Default Took car to Jag dealer

Dealer says knocking noise is coming from misfire cylinder?

They are awaiting a camera to check the cylinder, and will call me tomorrow when it arrives.

The guy did not sound very optimistic about the future of the engine.

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I, too, would tackle the "P0307 Cylinder 7 misfire " first, i.e. check and/or swap ignition coil and/or spark plug.

Other than that I think you got a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

...Here I had added the link to a youtube video, but the video on youtube was programmed not to play, when linked somewhere else - hence, search for

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Theme Song

on youtube....

Add a rhythm guitar to your own Jaguar Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and you got a chart-topper...

PS: Your noise has to come from somewhere... - find that "somewhere". That popping noise gives the impression it comes from the water pump. But that is a pure guess.
Did your check the coolant level?
Use a mechanics "stethoscope" to find the source of the popping noise: Take a huge screwdriver and hold the metal end to all the different places, where the sound seems to come from and hold the end of the grip to your ear. That way you hopefully figure out, where the noise comes from.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:36 AM
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a 4.2 NA, (2008) so different stuff. But (just to sound hopeful about the engine) is there any chance the plug ceramic has been compromised enough so you might be shorting to the block or valve cover. I had a '65 Vette that was making that EXACT sound and turned out when a plug was put in the ceramic got cracked and it was shorting. Just a thought.

sunshinesdad (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 08:51 AM

Bizarre! I have made 20 calls to the Jag dealer in past week - most no answer.

Eventually spoke to someone yesterday who said the guy handling my file was off sick, and they could not check status, but promised to go into the workshop to ask, and phone back - nothing!

This morning I was able to get someone to go into the workshop - and was told that the "gear selector" had been sent away for refurbishment since no part available from Jag.

And that the car was "repairable" which is good news.

I asked for the Service Manager to call - when he gets in tomorrow to give me timescales etc.

Can't understand how the gear selector could have contributed to the tapping noise, can you?

Seems the cylinder misfire was fixed.

Bad customer service and client communication