S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kumho Ecsta ASX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Kumho Ecsta ASX

Anyone have any experience with these, dry/wet/snow traction, looks, rim protector?? I had Pirelli PZERO Nero M &S ordered but they are on backorder, so who knows when I would have gotten them so I cancelled. Then I was going to go with BF Goodrich G-Force All Season or the Goodyear F1 allseason but was somewhat talked out of both by the rep at Tirerack.

The guy said the Goodyears are noisy as hell, and the BF Goodrich's are good but not any better than the Kumhos. He said the Goodrich's "look" more like an all season as opposed to the Kumhos and are more expensive. I wasnt looking for a budget tire and money really wasnt an issue but I weighed the options and pulled the trigger. Hopefully I wont regret it.

Any comments?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

DO NOT BUY the goodyears, i hate how loud they are, it honestly sounds so loud, it almost like i have something wrong with the car. TRIPLE THUMBS DOWN for the goodyears.

Im ordering the NEXEN asap 3000 series

THESE TIRES ARE HORRID:

Last edited by phd12volt; 07-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Go to Car and Driver's web site. They just did a comparison test that I think the Kumhos won. I had a all season set on the Accord. They were OK. Rode nice, pretty quiet. Not impressed with the tread wear, but good.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Car and Driver Test

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Go to Car and Driver's web site. They just did a comparison test that I think the Kumhos won. I had a all season set on the Accord. They were OK. Rode nice, pretty quiet. Not impressed with the tread wear, but good.

I just went through the same thing w/my girlfriend’s Nissan 350z and we ended up getting the Yokohama S. Drive for a few reasons. She already had Yokohama in the front, they were among the quietest tires, the price, and life expectancy plus Discount Tire (locally) recommended them so she was sold. The Hankook were our first choice, but no one had them available.

Test results
1. Dunlop Star Spec
2. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO
3. Humho Ecsta XS
4. Bridgestone Potenza RE760
5. BFGoodrich G-Force KDW
6. Yokohama S. Drive
7. Falken Azenis RT-615
8. Nitto Invo
9. Ling Long l688

Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by NVMYJAG
I just went through the same thing w/my girlfriend’s Nissan 350z and we ended up getting the Yokohama S. Drive for a few reasons. She already had Yokohama in the front, they were among the quietest tires, the price, and life expectancy plus Discount Tire (locally) recommended them so she was sold. The Hankook were our first choice, but no one had them available.

Test results
1. Dunlop Star Spec
2. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO
3. Humho Ecsta XS
4. Bridgestone Potenza RE760
5. BFGoodrich G-Force KDW
6. Yokohama S. Drive
7. Falken Azenis RT-615
8. Nitto Invo
9. Ling Long l688
What the heCk is ling long? These are all summer tires in the list. I hope the rim protectors actually come out past the rims on the kumhos unlike the toyo proxes 4 I have on there now. Hate those.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the ASXs and now have the mentioned BFGs on the STR.

The BFGs, in my opinion, have a slightly stiffer sidewall and may handle/grip a little better. I bought them over replacing the ASXs only because:
1> The BFGs were more competitively priced when they first launched the tire (close to the ASX price), and

2> The ASXs have a non-performance looking sidewall. In fact, there's this dorky looking "All Season" moniker on the sidewall that's written in cursive and looks like something you would see on a doll box at American Girl (yes, I have an 8 year old daughter). In short, the BFGs look better from the side.

At today's price differential between the two tires, I would have no problem going back to the ASXs.

I have also had Michelin's All Season Pilot Sport A/Ss. Again, in my opinion, not worth the money vs. either the ASX or BFG.

Good luck,
Eric

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm running the ASXs on my X-Type right now. 3500Kms in and holding up well. They have a bit of a rim protector lip (1/8th of an inch). They are a fairly stiff sidewall so the first few miles in the morning are bumpy until they round out but perform well after that. Dropped my PS2 Sportys for these as they didn't wear well and the all seasons give me a couple more months before and after "real" winter that the dedicated high performance summer tire wouldn't handle on cold pavement. For the money they are worth it. First time I've spent this little on a tire and been realtively happy.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle GTs

I put on the Eagle GTs about 2-3000 miles ago. When I bought the car (about 7k miles ago) it had three different tires on it (and the spare had three plugs in it).

I walked into a Goodyear store to see what they had (I have the '03 3.0L S-type) and they showed me several. The Eagle GTs were an interesting tread pattern, have a very strong rim protector and the price on 5 was right for my budget.

I think I invested about $625 in tires that day for 5 with road hazard and free rotation. The tires were just under $100 each but I think they got me on the road hazard, mount and lifetime balance. "The price of lead is skyrocketing." But it was not much more for 5 than I could find other places for 4 tires installed.

Anyway, I see the Eagle GTs are not on the list, but compared to what was on there before they are quiet and really grab the road. IMHO.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I really like Kumho tires. By far the best quality for the price. In fact they are usually 90% as good as comparable Michelins (my fav brand) at usually half the price if not cheaper.

Id recc the SPT compound though! they will be quieter, handle & ride better then the all ASXs

I put a set on the 745 around Christmas time and have driven about 2 or 3k miles on them and they back up my claim to being 90% as good as Michelin PS2s

No matter what you decide on def price the tires from Nebraska Wheel & Tire, you can find them easily through google or ebay

THeir prices include free shipping and on the set of 4 they were over $150 cheaper then the tire rack! They also ship same day or next day

Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Just got the ASX's put on and got rid of the Toyo Proxes 4 and what a huge difference. Grips very nicely, not as squishy, seems to hold a balance welland MOST IMPORTANTLY<----------QUIET AS HELL. I was impressed. I quickly accelerated onto the hwy up to about 85/90 MPH and nothing, not even a slight shimmy. In regards to looks, I actually think they look great, they don't really have the "look" of an all season like the Toyo's did, and they come to more of a "flat" top from the sidewall to tread, whereas the Toyo's looked rounded all over (if that makes any sense). $600 for all 4 tires delivered, $100 for mounting and balancing, threw some nitrogen in there and we are good to go.