Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCD & buttons vs Touch screen in console

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default LCD & buttons vs Touch screen in console

I'd appreciate any opinions about the two different styles. I'm looking at R types and some have the touch screen with Nav. and some do not.

1. How are the ergonomics of the Touch screen vs the LCD panel and buttons for the non Nav. functions like audio and AC? I don't mind an LCD & push button switch system. Sometimes they work better.

2. Opinions on whether it's a big deal to get the Nav. system? Is it decent or ancient?

Thanks

Bob S.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Personally If it were me, I'd specifically seek out one without nav, and then put a modern double din Nav system in it. (this is what I did). They have everything to change the headunit now, dash kit etc...

The nav is old and limited. And if you have a nav car, it can't be replaced.

Just my opinion.

George

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting ... Yeah I figured it was probably ancient by now.

So do you have any pictures of how your's came out?

What did you put in and what did it cost?

Why not just a handheld one?

Bob S.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

the heating controls are integrated with the factory nav....look for one without the factory nav, and you can add your own double din with bluetooth, ipod, etc etc.

You have more options with the non-nav unit than you do with the nav option. One of the main reasons i picked mine up versus one with the nav screen. I had intentions to swap it out, yet never did.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

also if you need info on the trouble spots of the 03-04 i can pretty much point out most of the issues. The lower milage cars tend to exhibit the torque converter issue. While rare i had mine done (thank goodness for the extra warranty though). out of pocket could have been over 3k.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

The early cars had a CD based system. Do Not get this if possible. The STR came with the later DVD based system. Much better. Not as good as aftermarket but superior because of the integration of the other car systems. It runs the navigation, the climate control and the sound system. Also the Bluetooth for your phone if the car has that option. I find one button operation for all of this to work very well. I recently added a IPOD/USB adapter that is operated thru the screen as well.

I have found on STR's, that if it does not have navigation it is a stripped model. Of course the STR is still heavily loaded with standard options. In 2005 about the only options for the STR were navigation, adaptive cruise, front park sensors, Bluetooth phone. So it's really not a good option to replace the factory Nav in the 2003 and up cars. It's very complex with all the other systems integrated into it. The early cars again MUCH simpler!!! It's only navigation and stereo so the aftermarket works better.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

So if I'm understanding this correctly:

1. Early Nav system was CD based with the touch screen?
2. The later Nav system was DVD based and is more integrated with other things on the car?

The DVD to CD change alone makes a big difference. But a modern independant system is more flexible. I don't know that I'd sink another $1000 into putting a new head unit on the car. Tight integration of the phone & and Ipod interface might be nice. Maybe that can be accomplished for a lot less money and still buy a NAV system? I don't HAVE to have a NAV system though.

I drove an 06 that supposedly had the bluetooth phone option which I gather isn't available on the 03.

OK. Thanks for the info.

Bob S.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
So if I'm understanding this correctly:

1. Early Nav system was CD based with the touch screen?
2. The later Nav system was DVD based and is more integrated with other things on the car?

The DVD to CD change alone makes a big difference. But a modern independant system is more flexible. I don't know that I'd sink another $1000 into putting a new head unit on the car. Tight integration of the phone & and Ipod interface might be nice. Maybe that can be accomplished for a lot less money and still buy a NAV system? I don't HAVE to have a NAV system though.

I drove an 06 that supposedly had the bluetooth phone option which I gather isn't available on the 03.

OK. Thanks for the info.

Bob S.
Ok let me clear up some confusion here.

First there is no STR with a CD based nav... That's the older 99-02 cars.

Second...

To swap the headunit if you have an alpine stereo, you have to at least swap the headunit AND the amp, and add passive crossovers for the separates.

If you don't have alpine (dunno if an STR was even available without it) then you can just swap the headunit. Whether that is to a touchscreen nav model, or a simple audio only headunit is your choice. You can always get a portable gps for cheap...

Basically you can put whatever you want in a NON NAV 03+ assuming you are willing to at least swap the headunit and amp, for starters. If you have an 03+ car WITH nav, you're stuck with it. Because the air conditioning controls etc are all built into the touchscreen nav panel.

George

Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information. There still must be some difference in the early versus late touchscreen based system.

I'll download the 05 owners manual and see if it references the bluetooth phone option. It';s not mentione in the 03 manual.

So what about radio and ventilation operations LCD vs touch screen?

Are there any big deals here? Is one easier?

Bob S.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Thanks for the information. There still must be some difference in the early versus late touchscreen based system.

I'll download the 05 owners manual and see if it references the bluetooth phone option. It';s not mentione in the 03 manual.

So what about radio and ventilation operations LCD vs touch screen?

Are there any big deals here? Is one easier?

Bob S.
HVAC and radio / nav are all the same on the touchscreens. You can get a somewhat updated nav disc, but the interface / software is what it is.

The climate control panel on a conventional car works fine, and you don't have to go through menus to get to it. Either way pretty much works ok, one is just not replaceable.

Bluetooth was added sometime in the run I think in 05. - Just an additional menu option which I BELIEVE is retrofittable to the older touchscreen nav cars if you want to go that route.

George

Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks George.

Bob S.