S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lean Banks and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean Banks and other problems

Well, let's start. I have jaguar S type R 2005. in July I had the throttle body replaced (under the warranty) for the second time. shortly after that I took my car to the body shop, which there was work done to almost all of the body parts on the passenger side. When I came to pick up a car, and started it I had all kind of messages. "DSC not avalaible", "Cruise control not available", "Abs fault". The people in body shop checked all the connection on the parts(wheels) they were working on and couldn't find anything wrong. So I took the car to other different shops, no one can read the codes about the abs(we live in really small town, it is 3.5 hours to the nearest jaguar dealership). Sometimes I start the car and everything is fine, all the lights gone and I can use cruise control, the next day it is on again. And I got the check engine light on, and restricted perfomance comes up sometimes, and the codes for this P0171,P0174.... So where to start???

Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I am not sure if it is important, but the car has almost 98000 miles, and while it was serviced last time(throttle body) they changed couple coils as well as they were bad.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Usually a lot of codes all of a sudden and after work means the battery was a bit flat. It may recover or you may need to replace it. If it was fairly old - check the date code on it - then a new one is likely.

ABS codes will self-clear if all is OK. Most other codes clear out if the battery is disconnected.

Lots of threads you could read if you wish about weird faults all due to a failing battery.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

big list, and I think a couple different causes for your various messages. Yes, P0171 and 0174 are for lean codes, if your car was hit/damaged on the passenger side, your air pipe (big , or other vacuum lines on that side were damaged. Perhaps even the air box is damaged, or the mass air flow sensor. I'd look for obvious broken air/vacuum lines, after all, they're hard plastic, and after 7 years, pretty brittle.

Now, for the DSC, cruise control, and ABS fault, most likely with all three being intermittent (comes on sometimes, others not) and when it does, it usually is after you've started driving, it sounds like a classic case of the wiring and/or harness at the wheel(s), so have them checked on the damaged side. The wires and harness are at their most vulnerable and stressed is during turns and wheel travel. Without the codes, however, you will not know EXACTLY, and you'll have to do some trial and error to locate the problem. We've had lots of active threads on the ABS system and diagnosing the fault traced to wires and harnesses over in the XK8-XKR subforum, feel free to browse and search over there for more tips. Don't worry about the threads that describe an internal problem in the ABS module itself, your model year is beyond this earlier problem.