S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023 | 11:19 AM
|
Default Leather seats

Hi guys, does any of you know where can I find or buy leather for the seats making sure that the color is the exact same as the Jaguar specification? In my case i'm looking for Ivory (NED).

It seems that in one point driver side seat got damaged in one side of that seat (right beside the door) because of wear and my dad repair it, but it doesn't look like the original leather that I in the rest of that seat or the other seats, it looks like synthetic leather. Maybe i'm wrong and is just me and the seat is still completly original. The side of the seat looks with some grains (like synthetic leather) but the rest of the seat look smooth

The other motive i'm asking is because it got stained (I think it was while I had it on the work shop) and I can't get the stain out. Any recomendation on how maybe I can get the stain out, or clean and paint or just change the lether of all seats

Add some photos so you can compare the type of leather or if they are the same and i'm the one imagine this.

Old 10-29-2023 | 06:47 PM

Those seats are shot, kaput, gong. Take it to an automotive upholstery shop. They can get the leather and sew it together for a brand new look. The leather in Jag seats is bull leather, not cow leather. Something about thicker. I wouldn't worry about how thick it is, just get REAL leather, not leatherette or vinyl.

Old 10-30-2023 | 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hold on…the seats are both worn and extremely dirty. Cleaning is the first step, but then they can be recoloured. It is very easily done (I have done this in many Jags) using the same sort of waterborne polymer colourants. There are several companies that can provide the colourant in the original colour of the leather, and these companies are easily found. Leatherique is one of them, Color Plus is another - and I have used both of them, but there are others.
It is child’s play if done slowly (brush or spray) and sparingly. And the finished seat will look as new, but with the patina of the creasing leather acquires with use.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023 | 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Have to agree with sov211? I have seen FAR worse leather brought back to life with those recoloring kits. MUCH cheaper and I would at least give it a try before getting into VERY expensive leather replacement. Especially with the value of that car. You could easily spend thousands of dollars and then your problem will be that IF you did not replace ALL the leather then your repairs will stand out like a sore thumb!

Plus I would be surprised if you can find anybody who can do the repair to Jaguar factory level of craftsmanship.

This is the problem with any restoration is where to stop and will it look OK?

S-Type Owner (10-30-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

I have spend a lot of time in the past trying to find anywhere in the world an outlet for new real leather seat covers. My XJS wants some. In short: I failed.

It starts with that there are lots of sellers, who will send you vinyl, after you ordered real leather. Apparently, the term "real leather" is not clear enough.
When I asked the sellers directly, I had to ask them, if the material is from real animals. At that point, the answer was normally: Vinyl.

But if you try to find on the internet real bit of leather, then the keyword "hide" brings you where you want to be. It still is a possibility that I will one day use hides to saw new seat covers myself.

But there are 1 or 2 sellers of real leather seat covers. Sadly their pricing is out there in fairyland - or as so very nicely worded it in the Australian movie "The Castle": "Tell them they are dreaming!"
So basically: Yes, go for it, if you have a Jaguar E-Type or XK120 or XK150 or maybe a D-Type.

But in your case, a 2001 S-Type (before any facelifts), spending this kind of money for leather seats cannot be justified.

But I have some advise for you: There is a very good product on the market:
If you look on ebay or Aliexpress for "leather repair cream" and then look for a product called "Eidechse" in the colour "BEIGE": This is what you want. You just smear it into your seats (after cleaning them thoroughly). Just put a latex glove onto your hand and smear it on. The result is unbelievably good. You just smear it on and let it dry for a day - initially you might think that the colour is slightly off, but the colour changes a bit after drying and is then a pretty good match.

Cleaning: I can only tell you, which Australian product to use to get the most stubborn dirt out of everything, incl. seat covers: GUMPTION. It is a cream to clean off very serious dirt in the household.

The leather seat with a worst condition, which I had, were in my red Ford Fairlane, and I fixed them up pretty good with that leather repair cream.

And I note aside: Funny that they call their product Eidechse. I do not know why they do, but this is the German word for (little) lizard.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-31-2023 at 12:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
e_brugal (11-01-2023), S-Type Owner (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Cleaning: I can only tell you, which Australian product to use to get the most stubborn dirt out of everything, incl. seat covers: GUMPTION. It is a cream to clean off very serious dirt in the household.
Gumption is an abrasive - aren't abrasives usually a no-no on leather?

Old 10-31-2023 | 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Gumption may be mildly abrasive. A bit of gumption on a wet rag is not doing damage to the leather seats, if applied carefully. I use it, where there is all hope lost to get the dirt off any other way.

PS 1: Also, my recommendation here for gumption was on the basis that leather repair cream will be applied anyway after removing the dark dirt underneath. Because the leather repair cream would have a hard time a.) sticking to dirt and b.) covering up the very dark dirt, unless you smear it on extremely thick and you would want to keep the thickness as thin as possible (but as thick as necessary).

PS 2: Another note about application: Actually use a rag to apply the leather repair cream, but cover your hand with a latex glove anyway for protection.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-31-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added PS notes
Old 10-31-2023 | 04:16 PM
|

Thanks Everyone, i will try to clean it with your recommendation and see what happens. here in the Dominican Republic is not so easy to find real leather and neither that color (ivory, NED), that's why i wanted to see if i can find it and buy it somewhere else.

If someone can verify picture 5 and 6 to see if the side part of the seat is the original leather or did my dad change it? seams different from the other part of the seat, the side one looks more grainy, the rest of the seat looks smoother. Don't know if is me.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by e_brugal; 10-31-2023 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 10-31-2023 | 04:55 PM

Hirsch Auto carries Bridge of Weir leather. It is as good as it gets quality wise and they should be able to match yours

scrannel (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 05:37 PM

I still would clean the seats but that is just because I like a clean car. 1. Upholstery Shop or 2. Amazon. Amazon sells LEATHER seat covers for the entire car. Prices were under 200 and they fit a Jag like yours. Being in the DR, that might be a second choice. There was a company in Texas that made full covers for front, back, and head rests in original colors. You have to have the tool to put the clips on, but that is easy to find. I'll see if I can find my note about the Texas company. LAST idea. Redo the seats with the SEATS REstore company. Their kits are exact color matches and they include the color and the crack filler you must have for it to work. This company sells on Ebay. LSeat.com makes an exact cover in the correct color. Models 2000-2002 $349.

Last edited by davidladewig; 10-31-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2023 | 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

David,

I strongly doubt that your can get new leather covers - neither for the front seats only nor for the entire car - for 200 - and that is regardless, which currency these 200 are...
That would be what I mentioned above: "real Leather", which - when you contact the seller - is in fact Vinyl.
I guess, next time I am in a zoo, I will go and look for the Vinyl-animals - I am sure they have lots of those in Chinese Zoos!

Plus, as mentioned above, I have indeed spend a LOT OF TIME in the past looking for any way to purchase Leather Seat Covers, which are not from the Vinyl-animal, anywhere.
I did not want to put it out there, but as you are mentioning it especially: LSeat... - here we go:

Yes, I have found them way back. Price reasonable. And I was just a hair-width away from sending them my seat covers as samples (as they did not have those covers nor a pattern for those covers already). I had removed the seat covers of my car, rolled it up and put it into a postal back and sadly only then I did some more thorough research about this company...:

After that research and after reading quite a few reviews, I have to conclude that LSeat is a name under which some scammers roam on the internet to defraud people like you and me.
It seems to be standard that after ordering and paying, you will never see any product ever. If you are severely persistent and invest a lot of time into pestering them, you might one day - after 1 year or so, indeed receive your new seat covers, but you might not see you old seat covers again, even though it was agreed that they would send them back to you as well. So that's for the reviews. And if you go thru the trouble and make use of the nice tool, which google has given us: "Google Earth Street View", you can "visit" the place, which they give as their company address... - I dare you: do it, you will be surprised: This is a shopping centre. I think this shopping centre included a furniture shop, a restaurant and many other small shops - the sign of all those shops can be viewed on google Earth street view. I could not spot anywhere a sign, which read "LSeats". From that I conclude that one may indeed find somewhere in that shopping centre a POBox-like mailbox, and this would be all that there is. I have nothing, which indicates that LSEAT is anything but a cover for scammers. Additionally, I found the information somewhere on the net, that LSeat went bust many years ago (which does not seem to stop them from pretending that they still exist...).

Old 11-01-2023 | 09:41 AM

Peter,
I used the Seats Restore product when I first got my car. If you follow their instructions and take your time, it works quite well. I did contact LSeat in the beginning. They did answer the phone but that was a few years back. I used a local shop here to redo everything. I don't know about the Amazon product other than the claim that it is genuine leather. But, we've all heard claims before.
David

Old 11-01-2023 | 02:33 PM

LSeats.com has a lot of reviews. Trustpilot has 392 of them. It is a 4 star rating. Seems like most do well, and some don't. The YouTube videos are diverse also. I don't know if they are in business or not but a telephone number is listed. Telephone:+1(844)855-7328. The last review was this year, so who knows.