S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED's for S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default LED's for S-Type

Has anyone installed LED headlights? I have an '07' and thought I would install LEd there's plenty of aftermarket lights. I also thought having LEd halos like on the Bentley would be cool. Has anyone installed LED's & if so what brand?

Old 03-21-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no intention on putting LED's on my S type headlights, had try to use them on two previews vehicles and it was a pain in the..., always had problems with them. My dad put xenon on this S type and in my restauration I will keep it that way.

For the halo light, I thought the same on add them, But then I thought that I don't want to get in the process of opening the headlights and modify them maybe because I'm afraid of damaging the headlights. After thinking a lot, I thought on adding some of those exterior flexible DRL's cord around the headlights, thought on them around only in the high beam, only in the low one, on a circle in both of them individually, just in the upper part on both, just in the lower part of both, but wasn't convinced on how it will look.

Now I'm thinking on adding the same exterior flexible DRL cord, but around the fog light (I have a 2001 S Type with "triangular" fog lights). Still thinking where it will start and where it will end, but I think it will look great there.

I will like to see pictures of what others have done, no matter if is halo or DRL, on the headlights or fog lights. I have search on Google and YouTube several times and there's almost non examples on what others have made. Found just one guy on YouTube that was trying how it looks around one of the headlight, but didn't show if he at the end did it, just put the led stripe almost around the headlight without gluing it and holding it with his hands lol.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Yes, I installed high beam LEDs in my '03 S-Type 3.0

Originally Posted by PapasJag
Has anyone installed LED headlights? I have an '07' and thought I would install LEd there's plenty of aftermarket lights. I also thought having LEd halos like on the Bentley would be cool. Has anyone installed LED's & if so what brand?
Yes, I installed LEDs on my '03 S-Type 3.0... high beams only. They work great and are a huge improvement over standard bulbs by OSRAM and other brands. I bought them from HeadlightRevolution.com but can't remember which model/brand they are. Sorry. And looking at them from the front of the car it's impossible to tell they're LEDs...until you flick them on and paint the road with light.

That being said, installing LEDs on the low beams is damned near impossible due to lack of clearance behind the light assembly. The low beams on my '03 have a screw on lid that interferes with the large base of an LED bulb and I don't recommend leaving that cover off. It protects the light bulb. To complicate things, the low beam can is extremely close to the the engine bay frame, so it's difficult to get the long stem of an LED bulb into the light assembly at all unless you drop the front of the car. It was just too much work for me to even try in my driveway.

On the other hand, the high beams don't have that arrangement/problem. The back side of the high beam is easily accessible without dropping the bumper and that aforementioned metal frame member is not in the way at all.

Each LED headlight has its own electronic power module that connects via wire to the light itself. That module can be attached to the engine bay frame with glue or even wire ties (how I attached mine). You want to keep that module from flopping around, so be sure to attach it firmly to the frame.

So my advice is to install the high beams for an extreme vision improvement during highway driving; but good luck trying to install LEDs in your low beams. There may be a better solution out there today than there was 2 yrs ago when I bought mine, so look at spec sheets of various LED lights before making your decision so you know they'll fit in your car.

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 04-06-2021 at 11:27 PM. Reason: correct a spelling error
The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (04-07-2021)