Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left hand indicator/repeater fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Left hand indicator/repeater fault

Hey guys,

Started getting this message, it's constant. Checked both bulbs on the left hand side, filament was intact. Took the front buld and socket assembly and switched it with the right side the bulb and socket still function on the right side. I will switch out the bulb in the indicator near the door tomorrow, but don't think that will work because the bulb looked good. Tried wiggling the stalk, really didn't change. Any ideas?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

I had same thing on mine but intermittently, all bulbs working, changed rear bulb even though it was working, fault went away,

I don't know if somehow the bulb wasn't seated right or it was indeed a faulty bulb, but not had the fault in over a year

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by nghisus
Hey guys,

Started getting this message, it's constant. Checked both bulbs on the left hand side, filament was intact. Took the front buld and socket assembly and switched it with the right side the bulb and socket still function on the right side. I will switch out the bulb in the indicator near the door tomorrow, but don't think that will work because the bulb looked good. Tried wiggling the stalk, really didn't change. Any ideas?
More than likely your turn signal assembly itself is shot. I had a similar issue and changed out the turn signal assembly (easy DIY) and issue went away.

As a test - you can move your steering wheel out and down when you see the message - that might make it go away for the short term. When I pulled mine out it was a combination of age and worn out internals.

Last edited by abonano; 08-16-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by abonano
As a test - you can move your steering wheel out and down when you see the message - that might make it go away for the short term. When I pulled mine out it was a combination of age and worn out internals.
Moving the steering column around didn't do anything. However, is it really simple to remove and replace? Do you have to remove the steering wheel? If you care to post some key points i would appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Download jtis from the stickies, all the info you should need is there.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I had a similar problem and it took a while to find it.

First remove the bulb and carefully inspect the metal clip that makes electrical contact with the base of the bulb in the socket. For some reason mine had a hole burned thru this clip so I could get the bulb working but in a short time the bulb would shift a bit and stop working. I wanted to change the socket but of course the Jaguar part was over $50!!

I finally carefully wrapped a small bit of tin foil around the base of the bulb (Only on one leg) to bridge this small burned section in the socket. That was over 60K miles ago and it has worked ever since!!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
I had a similar problem and it took a while to find it.

First remove the bulb and carefully inspect the metal clip that makes electrical contact with the base of the bulb in the socket. For some reason mine had a hole burned thru this clip so I could get the bulb working but in a short time the bulb would shift a bit and stop working. I wanted to change the socket but of course the Jaguar part was over $50!!

I finally carefully wrapped a small bit of tin foil around the base of the bulb (Only on one leg) to bridge this small burned section in the socket. That was over 60K miles ago and it has worked ever since!!
My sockets look brand new. I switched them from left to right and vice versa to test them. They work on the functional side when they're switched.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Wiggle the turn signal stalk when it is engaged for a left turn - if the message on the dash goes away and your left signal flashes as normal - this is your issue.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by abonano
Wiggle the turn signal stalk when it is engaged for a left turn - if the message on the dash goes away and your left signal flashes as normal - this is your issue.
I tried that, there was no change. One thing I did notice though, is my lower fog lights (the clear bottom lights in the front), work well with no issue. However, the clear light in the headlight housing (not the turn signal or the main head light), the one on the passenger side works fine. The one on the driver side turns on, but it kind of blinks on and off very slowly. Maybe I have a bad ground somewhere?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts

This will sound dumb but Jaguar uses some odd bulbs. I have found different number bulbs than what should be in there. On other cars I see more normal numbers like 1157, 1156.

The bulb numbers are listed in the owners manual.
Here is a chart from the JTIS.

Attached Thumbnails Left hand indicator/repeater fault-bulb-chart.jpg  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nghisus
Hey guys,

how were you be able to take the turn signal bulb out?
mine does not come out