Sponsored by:

Left Side indicator light (turn signal) failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Side indicator light (turn signal) failure

Left side indicator light (turn signal) failure
(6 views)

i get a warning in the message center that my left indicator light is not working...replaced the bulb and now i get intermittent warnings that it is malfunctioning...works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. took it in for a repair and the socket is bad...well wouldnt you know it, Jaquar does not sell the socket you have to buy the entire light assembly, approximately $500. the socket is plastic and couldnt cost more than 15 or 20....but you can't get it...does anyone have a remedy? or maybe a ford part that will replace it...or do i just have to suck it up and pay the $500. what a rip off

Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Left Side indicator light (turn signal) failure

one of the techs could tell you straight up:

which one of the indicators is it? front,side or rear?

do you know what specifically is wrong with the socket?

maybe it just needs to be cleaned up.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Four days ago I started getting a "Front Left Hand Indicator Light Failure" in my S-Type as well haha it really makes you wonder if jaguar programs these malfunctions into the cars when they build them?? [&:]

Studebaker: What was the bulb number for the replacement? I wonder if I'm going to get the same malfunction..

Old 12-03-2008, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: whiteSTR

Four days ago I started getting a "Front Left Hand Indicator Light Failure" in my S-Type as well haha it really makes you wonder if jaguar programs these malfunctions into the cars when they build them??
I don't know, it's a lot easier to be incompetent than to fake it.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

white it normally says that even if the bulb burns out, i was getting that for one of mine and thats all it was.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

lol no, I know that... it's just that mine went out right when studebaker posted that his went out.. it just seems like everyone develops similar problems with these cars within days of each other.. haha I was only implying that maybe jaguar programs these things to start happening on a certain date because there are too many coincidences..

Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM

it does have a part number, its ford, they don't carry it and never did..its not even available...Jaguar the same thing. what happened to it. was the bulb was loose and it was arching and burned a small hole in the stainless steel connector of the socket. i cleaned it and it is working now but im sure its just going to be a matter of time till it goes out...so unless i can find someone that has the receptacle alone im stucked with paying for the entire headlight assembly...it is on the drivers side

Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

THEYRE STILL AVAIL, THE PROBLEM IS THE NEW PARTS CATALOGS SHOW A BALLAST FOR HID IN PLACE OF THE BULB HO0LDER, YOU JUST HAVE TO BE SMARTER THAN THE COMPUTER YOURE WORKING ON.....PART NUMBER FOR THE HOLDER IS XR855196,LIST $54,THE BULB IS C2S 15075, LIST $14
DAMN AND I DONT EVEN WORK IN PARTS I JUST FIX EM

Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

BUMP! Oldie but a goodie! Thanx Brutal. Need to replace both sockets as both now have burnt contacts, and no amount of cleaning or wiggling will get them to work.

Any idea on why this happened?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Let us know how you get on Chris, $54.00 for the bulb holder is scary.

I feel I have this in my future, I've cleaned them up a time or two.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be pulling the trigger on this soon also. Is there no way to "rebuild" the bulb holder and get a new contact piece put into it?

Surely some of the more project oriented guys could come up with a fix.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I replaced mine about a year ago after trying to clean up the contacts. I took it in to the parts counter so the parts guy could look it up in the parts guide. It ran me about the $55 or so dollars BRUTAL said.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
BUMP! Oldie but a goodie! Thanx Brutal. Need to replace both sockets as both now have burnt contacts, and no amount of cleaning or wiggling will get them to work.

Any idea on why this happened?
I've replaced both front bulbs on mine, the metal contact strips on the bulbs had burned away- better that then the socket contacts. I think there's a design defect here, too much current is flowing through a tiny electrical contact area leading to overheating and burning. I'll be d*mned if I'll spend $55 for a new socket. I'll hard wire the bastidges before coughing up that much.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Same problem on my 04 s type.
The turn signal sockets in the headlight area are bad design. There are 3 chrome contact and on copper looking one for the flat push on amber bulbs. The copper contact has a burn groove in it and it must get all of the current. So when the small contact wire filiment on the bulb does NOT touch the copper contact, it says the bulb failed, but in reality it just looses contact. It happens every so often on my car. All I do is move the little wire with a small screwdriver into a v shape instead of a straight wir so the small wire in the copper contact bridges the burn groove in the socket and it works perfect again. I hope this helps, because I know that turn sockets are hard to find or you need to buy the whole headlight assembly which are expensive.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Now I know what's up with my left turn signal. It just went out again on me and I was thinking maybe it was because I was buying the bulbs from Autozone and they were just cheap. Mine always has the burn mark on the metal.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Same problem and yes I will not spend $50 for a light socket!! How I permantely fixed it was to take a small bit of Aluminum foil and bend it over the light bulb base. Then insert into the socket. It's lasted about 40K miles so far.

Mine also was the front left turn signal.

The following users liked this post:
Trisha Gamble (09-17-2017)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Same problem and yes I will not spend $50 for a light socket!! How I permantely fixed it was to take a small bit of Aluminum foil and bend it over the light bulb base. Then insert into the socket. It's lasted about 40K miles so far.

Thanks for the info, can't hurt to try this way out. Did you buy a new bulb before you did that?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6

UGH oh, I tried your method and now I can't get either of my turn signals to work.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Tbird, that sounded easy to do what you did but I've blown three fuses trying it. I did just like you said but sure enough each time it blew the turn signal fuse. I wonder if I'm going too high with it. I was covering from the base all the way up with the little wires.(or whatever those are)

Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Yes I changed the bulb 3 times before getting it fixed. I also had the wrong bulb so check the owners manual. Jaguars don't always use standard stuff.

Sorry for giving out wrong information!! The left front turn signal bulb has two wires on it's base. I looked at the socket it plugged into and noted where the metal was burned. Then wrapped the bulb base on that wire with folded foil to bridge the burned gap. It was a bit fiddly but pretty tight when I got it in place. If you bridge both wires with the foil then it's a dead short as you found out.

Quick Reply: Left Side indicator light (turn signal) failure