S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Lincoln LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The Lincoln LS

I was reading up on the Lincoln LS as it is referenced to along with the S Type. I had no idea that they are so connected http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_LS How does the LS rate? Is it more or less reliable, better or worse to drive?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

The common mis-conception about the LS and S Type is in how much the two share. I was one of the guilty ones myself. Up until recently I thought of the S Type as a fancy Ford. The reality is that Ford and Jaguar engineers co-developed the platform then went their separate ways. The power-train development was split, the V8 was given to Jaguar and the V6 to Ford. The two cars shared some subsystems through 2002. The 2003 update is where the two split off even further. Jaguar and Ford refreshed the cars to help with quality issues, but there was more to it. There was a need to further distance the S Type from Ford. So, many of the formerly shared components were switched to those employed in other Jaguars. A good visual reference to that is the center stack. In the pre 2003 S Type you will notice that the audio and climate control modules are of the same configuration as those used in the LS (I'm not saying they are the same part, but they may be). In 2003 and up S-Types the audio and climate control modules match those in other Jaguars. The decision was made that Jaguar needed to have more distinct systems from other Ford products to maintain the prestige of the brand. So, in order to maintain cost savings yet achieve brand identity, component sharing was applied across the Jaguar line. There are still subsystems that the LS and S share, but they are fewer than many think... I could babble on and on about it but better get off here....

Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Good summary. It should be a sticky

Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have one of each! A 2003 LS and a 2005 STR. The Jaguar is a more expensive car and the better quality of materials especially interior materials is noticeable. But the STR was $62600 and the LS was $45000 when new. I think you get what you pay for somewhat. The V-6 versions of both cars are the value leaders. You get about 80% of the car for about 50% of the cost. So if your not a power junky get the V-6!

The STR has had fewer problems but it is 2 years newer and has about 30K miles less mileage. The Jaguar dealer is way above what the Ford/Lincoln dealer could even hope to do!!!

I find they are close in driving dynamics. I race SCCA and have a pretty good feel for how a car drives. In fact we had the Lincoln 3 years before I got the STR. The differences really boils down to "diminishing returns". What I mean by that is for the huge amount more the Jaguar costs (new) the Lincoln delivers a very similar automobile.

I was modifying the LS but there are limits on what you can do compared to the factory. I wanted to supercharge the LS and it has been done several times BUT you can't just dump a bunch of horsepower in a car. All the other systems need to match, brakes, tires, suspension, ect. Plus there is a very limited after market for the LS as well as the S Type. So by the time you spend all the money to modify the LS you end up with a car that at best is a light weight STR. A LS modified to that level will have a lot more problems with stuff like transmissions and rear ends. So for me the STR came from the factory already modified to a great extent with the stuff I wanted plus properly engineered and a warranty!

Where the Jaguar (STR anyway!) shines is the very subtle blend of luxury and performance. Even with the big tires and wheels the CATS suspension cuts a very fine line between handling and ride. You can keep the BMW teeth rattlers or the CTS-V, SRT-8, Mustang Cobra lumber wagons. The Jag simply delivers the finest compromise I have ever driven for a street car. I will say the Mercedes E55 is a superior car but again look at the price! The E55 was around $95000 when the STR was around $62000.