S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Link error

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Link error

2002 s type 3.0 does not start or crank just clicks however when I hook it up to the code reader it says link error like it's not connected when I'm plugged in why and what to do help please

Old 07-03-2023, 03:12 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Not all code readers will work with the S-type.
What code reader are you using?

You could try using the jaguar IDS software and dedicated interface.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Also, check out the threads about clicks & about power as you may have too little.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

Step one in troubleshooting an S-type is always check the battery voltage. If you have less than 12.5 volts you may see spurious errors from modules which are not seeing a correct minimum voltage. If you are hear a "click" but no start, thar is usually indicative of a flat battery or an issue within the starter itself.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

As suggested, charge that poor battery before doing anything else. No need to panic yet.

What's the recent history on this car? Is this a daily driver and this is a new problem out of the blue? Or was the car in storage and this is the first start attempt in a while? Resist the urge to do a jump start. Charge the battery properly and go from there.

If the car starts right up after charging the battery, your next step will be to determine why it was discharged. If more than a few years old, the battery may be losing its ability to hold a charge. Any place that sells batteries can test it for free.

If the battery is good, test the charging system. At idle, you should see around 13.7 volts as measured at the battery.

If the battery and charging system check good, you may have something draining the battery when parked. Troubleshooting details here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-drain-123535/

Backing up a little bit, if the starter still won't crank after charging the battery, let us know. Several things to check for that scenario.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:09 PM
Default Link error

Thank u all very much I'm sure now I need a new battery I appreciate all of ur help but I'm not out the woods yet cuz it was driven daily I can see the last owner didn't take to much care of it and didn't want to explain much but I drove it and it ran great but I will let u all know when I replace the battery thank u for easing my stress

Old 07-04-2023, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drewg
I'm sure now I need a new battery…
Careful there. Don’t just load the parts catapult (Pull!) in hopes of a fix.

Certainly could be the battery has one foot in the grave, but have it tested first to be sure.

Could be a charging system problem, so a perfectly good battery isn’t getting a proper charge.

Might be an external drain running down a good battery overnight.

Or maybe the starter finally succumbed to old age.

Lots of possibilities, so do some testing first to be sure. Your wallet will thank you. And the first step would be to charge that poor battery and see if that helps.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (07-04-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 03:20 PM
Default Link error

Ok got a new battery same issue just with a lot more volts when I put the new battery in the radio comes on as if it was in the on position but it still nothing but a click I hear clicking noise coming from the glove compartment but need more help I may have to jump starter but still no code from the Bosch obd 1abd 2 reader it's like it's not even hooked up

Old 07-22-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drewg
Ok got a new battery same issue just with a lot more volts when I put the new battery in the radio comes on as if it was in the on position but it still nothing but a click I hear clicking noise coming from the glove compartment but need more help I may have to jump starter but still no code from the Bosch obd 1abd 2 reader it's like it's not even hooked up

A few thoughts:

Put away your scanner for now. For reasons unknown, it's not working. Don't get sidetracked with something that is not the root cause. If it also handles OBD I, it's most likely an older model and may not interface properly with your car's OBD II system, even though it's supposed to do so. I ran into something similar with my scanner. It works fine with my '02, but gave me all sorts of errors on a friend's 2018 GMC.

If still not convinced, remember the OBD II system is designed primarily for monitoring and reporting faults related to emissions. If you have a fault preventing the engine from starting, in the OBD II mindset, that's not related to emissions. Even if the computer knows why the engine won't start (a required input is missing or invalid, for example), it won't tell you via the OBD II interface. It's kinda like getting in the wrong line at the DMV office. Even though the slug lady behind the counter can access the entire computer system from any terminal, you wanted a new driver's license but are in the line for renewing vehicle registration. She crosses her arms and isn't going to offer the information you need:

Next step is to charge your poor battery. Most new batteries are not fully charged at the time of sale. I highly suggest an automatic charger with at least a 10 amp output. A trickle charger won't cut it, so don't waste your time.

Next, open the hood and open the fuse panel box. Place your finger on relay #15 for the starter. Have a helper turn the key to the Start position and release. Tell us if you feel the relay click. If so, this means the control circuit for the starter system is working and the problem lies elsewhere. If no click, that's either a bad relay or a problem in the control circuit. Vastly different troubleshooting steps depending whether the relay clicks or not, so please let us know.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

OBD I is not at all like OBD II - get a newer tool, they're like $5 and up.