S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List Your Kills Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Full exhaust mod, port-polish the blower along with a 2.5/3.0 lb. pulley, K&N air filter leading to a modded air intake tube, and a low temp. thermo. is all ya need and will put ya near or at 475 hp @ 500 lb/ft torque. Anything more (crank pulley, etc.) is very costly and/or ineffective or inhibiting.

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-04-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My STR got killed by a Ghia..lol

Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

MyblackCat, my sister Alix had a 1973 Volkswagen Karmen Ghia hatch back. My friend Joe and I were just shy of our 16th b-day. One night when Alix was driving us home after a high school event Joe asked her if he could drive the last mile home. She obliged. Joe was doing fine until it came to when he was to decelerate inorder to make a right hand turn. He wasn't slowing down and Alix, in a very concerned voice, asked Joe if he was aware that he was to slow down. This is when Joe confessed that his sneaker had trapped the gas pedal against the firewall, thus not able to let go of the gas. My sis had to struggle to un-attach his lower leg from behind the gas pedal. Unbelievablly his big f%&kin sneaker finally let go and in just in time the Ghia slowed enough to make the right off the parkway exit...nearly wet my shorts from fear then laughter. LOL!

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-14-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
MyblackCat, my sister Alix had a 1973 Volkswagen Karmen Ghia hatch back. My friend Joe and I were just shy of our 16th b-day. One night when Alix was driving us home after a high school event Joe asked her if he could drive the last mile home. She obliged. Joe was doing fine until it came to when he was to decelerate inorder to make a right hand turn. He wasn't slowing down and Alix, in a very concerned voice, asked Joe if he was aware that he was to slow down. This is when Joe confessed that his sneaker had trapped the gas pedal against the firewall, thus not able to let go of the gas. My sis had to struggle to un-attach his lower leg from behind the gas pedal. Unbelievablly his big f%&kin sneaker finally let go and in just in time the Ghia slowed enough to make the right off the parkway exit...nearly wet my shorts from fear then laughter. LOL!
That is really a tight spot on the VW's, the pedal assembly has little space and your story has probably happened with many. I don't have huge feet but I can only wear certain shoes that are narrow when I drive the Ghia.

BTW, I think you must have been in what was called a type III square back.
Ghia's where never made with hatch backs.Only one body style from 56-74.Coupe and convertible.
That fast back was always a rare bird, even more rare today

Last edited by MyBlackCat; 11-16-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday raced a new Infiniti G37s from about 60-110 again. This time we were neck and neck and he let off as we went into a curve. Very surprised by the G's power, a flat torque curve goes a long way.

I need to do my exhaust. :-D

Last edited by ChrisSTR; 12-04-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:12 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What does the STR do in the 1/4 mile?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Here's one, I rolled up to the lights close to my home, knowing the Police have a car usually stationed up a quite road off the main drag. I guy in his new Range Rover Sport supercharged is next to me.
I couldn't help but rev the Jag, and as soon as the lights turned the Rangey sped off, with Police car right on his tail....I drove past slowly as they were getting out of the car.

I'd had a long rough day and that cheered me up, sorry!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Kills

ChrisSTR, an STR in decent state of tune and in "Sport" mode should out run an Infiniti G37 from 60 to 110 mph by a couple of car lengths. Do ya have a fresh fuel and air filter? How many times have I told ya ta git that friggin exhaust mod going! I almost ignore G37's, because frankly speaking...I'm bored with bitch slapping em. A full exhaust mod coupled with a K&N a/f, 1.5 pulley, and a low temp. thermo. will enable you to show most who's their est. 460 hp @ 480 lb/ft trq. KING. I'm pondering wether to jerk off the 1.5 lb. and pop on the 2.5/3.0 pulley, or keep the 1.5 pulley and pop on a 2 lb. crank pulley (to avoid grinding down the blowers snout) for a total of 16.5 lbs boost. All the above along with Mafioso's air intake tube...I'll bet an STR will crank out at or near 500 hp @ 525 lb/ft trq. Not enough? A methyl alcohol kit.... AML, on a cool day (60 degrees or less), with a "good driver", in Sport mode with DSC off, a bone stock STR should knock off a clean 5.3 second or lower 0-60. Some have done this in 4.8 seconds. With the same conditions a 13.1 second or lower 1/4 mile is possible. Some have done the 1/4 in 12.8 seconds. Go to dragtimes.com to verify my information.

The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (12-06-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seth, I destroyed the exact car earlier in this thread. He may have not been stock so who knows, but I did mash the pedal which didn't help my cause either.

I wanted to run him again but he stayed back. With your free flowing exhaust you should be rolling past these G(uido)37's with ease...

Old 12-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

Yep Chris, when stock, easing into the pedal is necessary...However, after a full exhaust mod, 1.5 pulley, and low temp. thermo.= not necessary...Just mash the pedal. Feel free to contact me when doing the exhaust mod. I'm tellin yas, this cat has sooooo much potemtial.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I think we'd better start organizing a group/pool fund for an attorney for uuuse guys.

I hear from my old friends in California that used to terrorize the roadways that they now confiscate cars for anything over 100 mph. What about NY? I think in NJ they just shoot you by the side of the road and put up one of those crosses.

Infinitis are nice cars. I had a gorgeous Q45 back in the 1990s that I entered in the Nevada Silverstate race. For it's day it scooted right along. It was dead stable at 160 mph too. But these days there are soooo many cars that just go like hell. Mostly driven by morons that have never wrecked a car at speed so they're ignorant of what it can be like. God help us all.

That Cadillac CTS-V must be an absolute monster.

Bob S.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Bob has an extremely important and valid message..."Speed can and does kill". Ten years ago in trying to prove a point to a "speed foe", I'd go all out, till the tach and speedo were buried. Now a days due to a case of "Late in stage maturity syndrome", I try my earnest to make "it" short and sweet; even backed down if I saw that the traffic or road course was too much for the event. Though some of us here enjoy flogging our rides, let's exercise caution for the sake of safety for everyone (including ourselves). Only a few of my patients know of my street racing demeanure because we share the same interest. Certainly most of them would strongly disapprove. Bob, two months ago I graciously recieved a ticket for 108 mph. As I was about to stick both my wrists out the drivers window as an offering to a set of high tensil steel cuffs because my "Doctor" PBA card failed to impress the trooper, I was happy to recieve a ticket instead. Luckily (I won't know till March how much luck is recieved) my sister is my attorney and friends with the prosecutor. Please, everyone be safe.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,353 Likes on 2,848 Posts

I couldn't agree more. 20 years ago I would terrorize the roads when I was alone in my car, never with a passenger aboard. But I didn't stop to think that the guy who might want to race me might have a significant other (or worse, a kid) with him. I realized the stupidity of uncontrolled street racing by the time I was 35 and I quit doing it. Far too many morons out there on the roads now. We all think that we are too calm, cool, collected, and skilled to be the one who causes the death and destruction. That's an insane attitude to have, I don't care how good a streetracer you believe yourself to be....

I will say this - if some streetracer moron maims or kills one of my loved ones, I guarantee you that I will personally get to him before the legal system does....

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

What I've observed is a complete change in driving etiquette over the years and I think it's due to all the additional power cars have today. So many people like to play traffic dodge cutting in and out just all over the place because the cars can squirt really fast now. It's like a giant pinball game out here now. Some days you the flipper and others you're the ball. My wife was the ball a month ago.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
I couldn't agree more. 20 years ago I would terrorize the roads when I was alone in my car, never with a passenger aboard. But I didn't stop to think that the guy who might want to race me might have a significant other (or worse, a kid) with him. I realized the stupidity of uncontrolled street racing by the time I was 35 and I quit doing it. Far too many morons out there on the roads now. We all think that we are too calm, cool, collected, and skilled to be the one who causes the death and destruction. That's an insane attitude to have, I don't care how good a streetracer you believe yourself to be....

I will say this - if some streetracer moron maims or kills one of my loved ones, I guarantee you that I will personally get to him before the legal system does....
Going fast on a deserted or lonely road at times is OK with me but not in traffic. It's all about the context. If you've ever driven on the autobahn or autostrada in Italy you know it can work but in those locations the other drivers are supposed to be expecting fast cars approaching. Where I live now there's no place to go really fast.

But let's keep the interesting stories coming. I'm not completely an old fart quite yet.

Apparently we'd better steer clear of Raleigh though ...

Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

X3 on that dudes. Good to know we're still sane enough to control ourselves...but man...my STR really screams! It's so hard not to lean into that pedal...almost have to take my left arm to lift my right foot off the friggin pedal...It's a tug of war...left arm vs right foot...Arghhhhh!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I got killed by my buddies 08 z06. Some type of beehive intake, full exhaust, tune. Ya I knew what I was getting into, but it was still fun!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Speed, speed, speed.
Most males would like to travel "as fast as it will go". There seems to be a motional-feedback at speed that is drug-like, the feeling of immediate danger, the rapidly changing scenario, the thrill of the chase, the impression of predatory police about to chase YOU; above all the change from a gray tedium of just-existence to the full Technicolor world of excitement when you become a SOMEBODY.

But reality won't go away, because the world in that last paragraph isn't real. It's merely in the driver's head. He's acting out his own private scenario, no longer a fantasy in front of a screen, but where real death can and does come into that fantasy picture.

So we have a fundamental here learned by older drivers. The public roads are not race tracks for a few. They are just pathways for the many to go about their business, getting to work, doing the shopping, taking the kids to school. And there are so many of us wanting to use these convenient pathways, so there are rules, there have to be rules. All you need do to invite death is to break these rules. Oh, you'll probably get away with it if you do. But do you really want your life, or a stranger's life to depend on "PROBABLY"?
Leedsman.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I got killed by my buddies 08 z06. Some type of beehive intake, full exhaust, tune. Ya I knew what I was getting into, but it was still fun!
I've been in one at the track.

You should have had a harpoon to shoot from the STR and then hang on ... GD fast and quite the beast.

I then rode in an MC12 right after that as a comparison. What a difference. So much more composed in the turns at speed and much more refined. At north of $500K it should!

My poor little track car seems like a Yugo by comparison ...

Bob S.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I've been in one at the track.

You should have had a harpoon to shoot from the STR and then hang on ... GD fast and quite the beast.

I then rode in an MC12 right after that as a comparison. What a difference. So much more composed in the turns at speed and much more refined. At north of $500K it should!

My poor little track car seems like a Yugo by comparison ...

Bob S.
Bob,

The MC12s are well north of $500K. More like $1M or thereabouts. As I recall, they were offered to well-heeled customers who missed out on getting an Enzo. They seemed to be a bit more track oriented than the Enzos.

Quick Reply: List Your Kills Here