S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List Your Kills Here

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

About $600K when new plus just under $100K to federalize them for the USA. They've changed hands for all sorts of amounts since then. The shop I use federalized a dozen of them and even had one of the left over racing versions for a while so I got a good look at these cars when all a part. There's a lot of "stuff" on those cars. They were intended as an image boost for the re-launch of Maserati which also allowed them entrée to serious racing in Europe where they did quite well. It was a very successful move for Maserati. But without Ferrari and the Enzo there never would have been an MC12 but the MC12 was superior to the Enzo in many ways. The engines were not identical. No the garden variety MC12 isn't a pure track car but they did come out with the MC-12 Corsa which like the Ferrari FXX was strictly for the track. Well heeled customers bought these cars complete with a factory support team whenever you drove it. My observation was that in the couple of times I've seen an MC-12 corsa at the track the factory support team never seemed to materialize as advertised. I don't remember the price of that one but over a million back then wouldn't surprise me at all. The ones I saw were completely black sounded fantastic and looked downright evil on the track.

BTW, as far as acceleration goes I thought the Z08 felt just as strong. Both actually made my stomach queasy.

Here's one: http://www.jameslist.com/advert/2084...ati-mc12-corsa

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trasosw...hy/3544052014/

Last edited by Staatsof; 12-06-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
About $550 when new plus just under $100K to federalize them for the USA. They've changed hands for all sorts of amounts since then. The shop I use federalized a dozen of them so I got a good look at these cars when all apart. They were intended as an image boost for the re-launch of Maserati which also allowed them entrée to serious racing in Europe where they did quite well. It was successful more for Maserati. Without Ferrari and the Enzo there never would have been an MC12 but the MC12 was superior to the Enzo in many ways.
The MC12 was a better racer due to more downforce etc. They won a number of FIA GT championships with them.

Dupont Registry has two of them for sale. A black one for $1.5M and a blue and white one for "don't even ask". If you were lucky enough to get one for the $650K you mentioned you made a fair bit of pocket change.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Kills ....???
Here's mine.
Best part about it, they taste just like chicken!

Name:  kills.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  13.8 KB

Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Speed, speed, speed.
Most males would like to travel "as fast as it will go". There seems to be a motional-feedback at speed that is drug-like, the feeling of immediate danger, the rapidly changing scenario, the thrill of the chase, the impression of predatory police about to chase YOU; above all the change from a gray tedium of just-existence to the full Technicolor world of excitement when you become a SOMEBODY.

But reality won't go away, because the world in that last paragraph isn't real. It's merely in the driver's head. He's acting out his own private scenario, no longer a fantasy in front of a screen, but where real death can and does come into that fantasy picture.

So we have a fundamental here learned by older drivers. The public roads are not race tracks for a few. They are just pathways for the many to go about their business, getting to work, doing the shopping, taking the kids to school. And there are so many of us wanting to use these convenient pathways, so there are rules, there have to be rules. All you need do to invite death is to break these rules. Oh, you'll probably get away with it if you do. But do you really want your life, or a stranger's life to depend on "PROBABLY"?
Leedsman.
Well written, but over thought.

A speed contest between two reasonable men is but a blip on the radar scene in terms of the 'danger' I put myself and others on a regular basis. I don't drive like a maniac, but I'm not going to spend my life driving to avoid breaking "laws" that were created with revenue in mind first, and "safety" second. Furthermore virtually every study I've seen has shown little to no correlation between speed limits and accidents (in fact I've read a few wear lowering speed limits INCREASED accidents).

/rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63aQ4KaMXhM

Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
The MC12 was a better racer due to more downforce etc. They won a number of FIA GT championships with them.

Dupont Registry has two of them for sale. A black one for $1.5M and a blue and white one for "don't even ask". If you were lucky enough to get one for the $650K you mentioned you made a fair bit of pocket change.
Don't confuse the MC-12 street car with the race car. Very different. A lot of Ferrari guys just liked the look of Frank Stephenson's design better than the Enzo. They're both amazing cars though. The MC12 is just so GD big. It reminds me of the Jag XJ220. Another tuna boat sized car. The engine is different in the MC12. It has gear driven cams.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
Well written, but over thought.

A speed contest between two reasonable men is but a blip on the radar scene in terms of the 'danger' I put myself and others on a regular basis. I don't drive like a maniac, but I'm not going to spend my life driving to avoid breaking "laws" that were created with revenue in mind first, and "safety" second. Furthermore virtually every study I've seen has shown little to no correlation between speed limits and accidents (in fact I've read a few wear lowering speed limits INCREASED accidents).

/rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63aQ4KaMXhM
Not a rant... The truth.. In fact, a quick stretch of the HP legs is of little danger or consequence. Now the real danger out there is the innocent Soccer Mom / Soccer Dad blabbing away on their cell phone while their 2.5 ton suv drifts from lane to lane..

In general, fast drivers are way more attentive than the ones mentioned above... and in study after study have actually been shown to be the safer ones out there. So, if you don't like "fast" stop reading this thread....

Now that's a rant! LOL

Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

So, I had a great kill this morning on the way to work.... I slaughtered a Toyota Camry.

The "lake effect" engine is running full steam today. On the three lane route 8 only the right two lanes were clear with the far left still snowy. So, this person was doing about 40 in the center lane. I actually like the "snow lane" so over I went to pass. Well, the Camry driver must not have liked the fact that I would have gotten back in front and, Oh lordy, gotten spray on their windshield...

So, there it was, a contest of speed and nerves, at the breathtaking speed of 50 to 55 mph.... Needless to say, the Jag in snow killed the Camry in the wet...Then they had to turn their wipers on in defeat...

LOL...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I ate an XLR the other night, got him off the line and he just couldnt catch up.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
So, I had a great kill this morning on the way to work.... I slaughtered a Toyota Camry.

The "lake effect" engine is running full steam today. On the three lane route 8 only the right two lanes were clear with the far left still snowy. So, this person was doing about 40 in the center lane. I actually like the "snow lane" so over I went to pass. Well, the Camry driver must not have liked the fact that I would have gotten back in front and, Oh lordy, gotten spray on their windshield...

So, there it was, a contest of speed and nerves, at the breathtaking speed of 50 to 55 mph.... Needless to say, the Jag in snow killed the Camry in the wet...Then they had to turn their wipers on in defeat...

LOL...
Jeff,

I'm so glad I'm in the DC area where we so far haven't had to deal with the snow yet. Some the lake effect areas got really hammered though.

Mike

Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

ChriSTR, well thought out but over thought out, LOL!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Don't confuse the MC-12 street car with the race car. Very different. A lot of Ferrari guys just liked the look of Frank Stephenson's design better than the Enzo. They're both amazing cars though. The MC12 is just so GD big. It reminds me of the Jag XJ220. Another tuna boat sized car. The engine is different in the MC12. It has gear driven cams.
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I kind of lumped the two together generically. The MC12 Corsa is a rare bird in that only 12 were made to my knowledge. Interesting that you compared it to the XJ220 because the two cars are much the same philosophically. You can pick up an XJ220 for much cheaper, although still quite expensive. The XJ220 also had a racing version, the XJ220S of which 5 (I believe) were made.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

I just watched the FIA GT race 1 on the speed channel this morning and it was pretty surprising how fast Ford GT was. Finishing order was Ford GT(by quite a bit), Corvette, Corvette, MC12. I haven't been following this series at all this year since I can't watch it during the season.

The MC-12 Corsa that was available to the general public was derived from the racing version. That's not the one I got a ride in. The names used by Maserati for the various versions causes some confusion. All of it being their fault. I've heard the race car or entire project referred to as the MCC and MC-12 corsa.
I dunno ...

Bob S.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

I was lucky enough to get behind the wheel of an Enzo, it's ridiculous how unstable and much it hated the TX legal speed limit (60) I think part of the unstability is the raw power to weight ratio. got it on an open road and 90+ it's a beast. Where you aim it is where you go with no bad mannerism other then you want to keep your foot planted.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

S type R chasing an M6 through the famous "Dragon" stetch on Route 129

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMyaDYNSUY

Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Those are some sick *** twisties

Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

100 mph?

I used to drive a road like this a couple times week in my Bora about 15 years ago. Skykine blvd in San Mateo County. Another gorgeous road but with some better straight sections than this video. It was/is a motorcycle heaven. But I did it during the week like at 10:30 in the morning so there was almost no traffic. I'm not comfortable with the amount of traffic on this road and the fact that so many people pulled over to get out of the way. Man that M5 was loud. I wonder if he had cutouts?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a week after I bought my 03 STR I raced my good friend's 07 Volvo S60R on a deserted stretch of road near his house. The Jag is stock, while the S60 had a full Evolve exhaust/high flow cats, intake, and evolve ecu (estimated 350+awbhp).

From a dead stop, he had about a car length on me until about 60 and I ended up having 7-8 cars on him by 135. I'm really surprised how sideways the Jag got at first, and also how quickly it caught up after it gained traction. The S60R is no joke, but the STR's power really makes a difference at and above highway speeds.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

In stock trim the STR is pleasantly torquey...and yas all probably noticed this cat just begins to pounce at 75 mph; as I witnessed first hand when my cat devoured a 2010 Camaro SS. As she sits now with full exhaust mod, 1.5 pulley, K&N filter, and low temperature thermostat, I would have no problem whooping an SS Camaro from start to finish. Waiting on the arrival of the Eurotoys 3 lb pulley.... Mafioso! We need that air intake tube!

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the first thing I noticed about the STR was that it really only starts pulling at 70+. It's very easy to go over the speed limit without noticing in these cars.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default Mod's will make her....

qwkcat, do the mods that I and others listed (and performed) and yer cat will pull like the beast she is...from a stop and at any speed. I remember how she scooted before the mods and now very impressed with her new found power.

Quick Reply: List Your Kills Here