Sponsored by:

Local Jag dealer offers to buy my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Local Jag dealer offers to buy my car

So here's an interesting one.
I just got an 800 number cold call identified as associated with this dealer.
They said that due to a high demand for used vehicles they were wondering if they could make an offer on my car ...

Presumably so that I would then have to buy a new one. From them of course.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Frequent tactic...

Originally Posted by Staatsof
They said that due to a high demand for used vehicles they were wondering if they could make an offer on my car ...

I get those phone messages and mailings all the time. Bottom line, they are trying to get you in the door so that they can sell you a car...

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

How was the offer? Or did they want you to come in to get it.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

It didn't get that far. Yes I knew what they really wanted. Mo money.

But .... interestingly enough this is the second offer I've had in 3 days. I was at the the Jefferson 500 vintage races this last weekend and some old codger (my age) starts chatting up my wife who's sitting alone in the Jag. Turns out she was safe he just really likes Jag racing green and wanted to buy the car on the spot.

Take a number guys and I'll get back to you when I can ...

Last edited by Staatsof; 05-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof

Typical scam marketing...

They place a call (or mail you a card, pamphlet etc), saying they need your used car... You go there, they lowball your trade and try to sell you a new car. Same thing that the aftermarket warranty companies do by scanning public records of vehicle registrations and finding out that you have a Jaguar registered to you. Then they send you a card telling you that your warranty is going to expire (or has), but you can extend it with abc xyz super warranty co.

I get the ones that I'm pre approved for cars, mortgages, credit cards etc all the time even though I've never had any of them....

Take care,

George

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I just read an article about used car prices being at their highest point in 16 years. One reason is that people are keeping their cars a year longer on average. I also know that because of the supply problems for a unique computer chip made in Japan is affecting not only Japanese automakers but also producers around the globe. I understand this particular chip is used on ECU's along with a host of other processors on board cars.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountaincat
I just read an article about used car prices being at their highest point in 16 years. One reason is that people are keeping their cars a year longer on average. I also know that because of the supply problems for a unique computer chip made in Japan is affecting not only Japanese automakers but also producers around the globe. I understand this particular chip is used on ECU's along with a host of other processors on board cars.
Maybe at the retail level...

But at the auctions, anything that isn't 4cyl is taking a beating at the wholesale level right now due to fuel prices.

What's interesting is that there's going to be a drop in the number of lease returns coming through the pipe probably starting mid year, as the leasing business tanked for a while in mid 08 - 09, when things were really bad for the new car makers.... That will probably affect the market as well...

Take care,

George

Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Typical scam marketing...

They place a call (or mail you a card, pamphlet etc), saying they need your used car... You go there, they lowball your trade and try to sell you a new car. Same thing that the aftermarket warranty companies do by scanning public records of vehicle registrations and finding out that you have a Jaguar registered to you. Then they send you a card telling you that your warranty is going to expire (or has), but you can extend it with abc xyz super warranty co.

I get the ones that I'm pre approved for cars, mortgages, credit cards etc all the time even though I've never had any of them....

Take care,

George
I hate those warranty ones. I get those all the time and I have never had a warranty on a car ever. I'm always like um what warranty is about to expire. Stupid marketing. Now a days about 95% of my mail is marketing. They should have to pay my recycling and trash bill since they are contributing to a majority of it.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Scummy Jag dealer wants to lure ya in so they can swap out yer STR's motor, pop it in the boss's blown STR, then sell ya a new motor. Heathen Snake Oil Salesmen! Don't fall for it Bob!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A local jag dealer did offer to buy my XK8. I had it in the dealer for some service for the first time since I purchased it (used)...The GM personally called me and said one of the dealerships long standing customers has been wanting one of my year and low mileage with exact color options etc. . He offered me a VERY nice proce to take it off my hands. But I explained that since I had just purchased it I wasn't looking to get rid of it. He said he understood as it was one of the nicest he had seen. He offered me high Dealer Retail for it. I can only imagine how much he was going to sell it for to the rich old woman.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

10-4 on that one 2002xk8.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

I dunno if it's a "scam"...which implies something fraudulent, IMHO. But it's certainly something to lure you in....which pretty much any business does in one way or another.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

LOL! I'm a "kidder" Doug. Thanks for joining us. Where have dudes like you been this whole time? Seems "S" guys are coming out of the woodwork now.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
I'm always like um what warranty is about to expire.
Get them on the phone and say "umm..., now that you mention it, what is the warranty number? I have a bunch of items to get fixed before the expiration".

Then keep on going about how if they know it's about to expire, they obviously must know that rest of the details so that you can make a valid claim. See how long it plays out.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Get them on the phone and say "umm..., now that you mention it, what is the warranty number? I have a bunch of items to get fixed before the expiration".

Then keep on going about how if they know it's about to expire, they obviously must know that rest of the details so that you can make a valid claim. See how long it plays out.
You just gave me something to do next time I get one of these in the mail. LOL

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts

I got my Jag at the end of June '08 less than a week after I had my stents inserted in my body. The past two years, near the end of June, the salesman has called to (yeah right) see how I'm doing and "oh by the way"
would you be interested....blah blah... Nope..still have time on the lease and I can't afford anything else right now.
He'll be calling at the end of next month and I'll just say the same thing to him.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hell, I get those on the phone at home and now they're on my cell phone too!
Those GD marketing bedbug *******s!

The junk mail while annoying pays the freight for the US mail. Without it services would be a lot more expensive and service would be even worse.

Originally Posted by vance580
I hate those warranty ones. I get those all the time and I have never had a warranty on a car ever. I'm always like um what warranty is about to expire. Stupid marketing. Now a days about 95% of my mail is marketing. They should have to pay my recycling and trash bill since they are contributing to a majority of it.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I would say I get those offers every month, perhaps every other month. Usually on my Saab since they are part of a larger multi-franchise dealer. And yes I've received the warranty ones as well. The pile of recycling junk seems to get higher every month.

I've managed to get us mostly protected from the telemarketing versions through using the Do Not Call list, both national and state. Some still sneak through but then I get to tell them off so that's just fun.

If you want to cut down on your junk mail and offers, go here: Unsolicited Mail, Telemarketing and Email: Where to Go to “Just Say No”