Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

local mechanic calls s-type a mondeo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default local mechanic calls s-type a mondeo

hi all,
got my newly bought (used) s type xs looked over at my local shop for any obvious problems yesterday. firstly the guy admitted that he hadn't been under an s type before (even though he assured me a week earlier he had) he then proceeded to very gingerly pry bar the ball joints and bushes in a very half hearted way (which had some movement by the way) and then said oh i think they're supposed to wiggle like that !! i was getting this check done as there is a slight knocking sound over rough ground from the front nearside and the car was passed with a fresh 12 month MOT only 3 weeks ago !!

i also found the oil sump gasket leaking even though the car was given it's 60,000 mile service (in advance) only 2 weeks ago by the dealer !!! now i'm obviously thinking did they do the service even though they stamped the service history.

the car is also suffering the jaguar tsb - Ticking/Bubbling Noise Behind Fascia/Instrument Panel" (JTB00066 Issue 2).
According to the bulletin these noises affect "S-TYPE VIN: N53000 to N91220; Model Year: 2006 to 2007". my VIN matched this TSB.
can i get this done by jaguar in the UK for nothing ? _ don't laugh

on the minor side 1 parking sensor is misbehaving in the wet and the car jack is missing.

to top things off the local guy said " oh it's only a basic mondeo anyway, it's all ford parts" --- anyone like to comment on that, i can give you his phone number if you like !!

i bought this from a main franchised dealer in the UK but obviously the 3 month warranty covers none of those items. i am wondering if i can insist they rectify these problems as they didn't mention them at the time of sale ?

i would really welcome any comments before i go down the route of VOSA, Trading Standards etc and maybe small claims court.

thanks guys :-)

Old 03-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The X-Type (AWD, 2.5 and 3.0 V6) shared the same chassis as the Ford Mondeo and Taurus (both front wheel drive V6's).The S-Type shared the same chassis as the Lincoln (Ford) LS (both rear wheel drive V8's). Jaguar or a certified Jag dealer should take care of the TSB.

Last edited by bfsgross; 03-17-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I'd ignore the comments made by the mechanic- he appears to be an incompetent amateur.

You might want to talk to the selling dealer about the deficiencies you've found. 'Broken and missing' items might be viewed differently than 'worn'. TSBs are not typically done at no cost to the owner here in North America, not sure about the UK.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-17-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
The X-Type (AWD, 2.5 and 3.0 V6) shared the same chassis as the Ford Mondeo and Taurus (both front wheel drive V6's).The S-Type shared the same chassis as the Lincoln (Ford) LS (both rear wheel drive V8's). Jaguar or a certified Jag dealer should take care of the TSB.
thanks, i think he's pretty clueless !! it's a sign of jealousy if you ask me.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I'd ignore the comments made by the mechanic- he appears to be an incompetent amateur.

You might want to talk to the selling dealer about the deficiencies you've found. 'Broken and missing' items might be viewed differently than 'worn'. TSBs are not typically done at no cost to the owner here in North America, not sure about the UK.
incompetent amateur - that's a kind way of putting it, my description involved less letters

well i'll try it on with the TSB not sure how far i'll get but it's worth a go, thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Give it a try.G

Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
HI, Mr Correction here... The X-type shared the platform with the Mondeo, that is correct. The Taurus was a separate platform that was only used on that car and FWD mini van. No Jaguar and Taurus are related. The Taurus's platform died in 07. The eventual replacement, the Five Hundred, was actually based on a Volvo platform...

Originally Posted by oakstar
to top things off the local guy said " oh it's only a basic mondeo anyway, it's all ford parts" --- anyone like to comment on that, i can give you his phone number if you like !!
What an @ss! Go ahead and print this and show him if you like... But honestly don't go anywhere near this moron with anything you want fixed properly.

The next idiot that says that, ask them to point out the shared parts! Now for a typical "JOsworth rant"...... Beware, it's long!

First of all, Jaguar in the early S Type did use some shared source parts. But that was a real marketing disaster. So, what they (Ford) did was allow Jaguar to design common components then make Jaguars more unique. Hence, the reason the center stack and controls all seem to look the same in the XJ, X Type, and later S Type. This is also why the interior got refreshed in 2003 (2002.5 UK). They didn't change drastically the seats and door panels if you notice. Just the dash and center stack. It was all to integrate new Jaguar components. Also, the idea that the S Type is a dressed up Lincoln LS is also technically wrong.. The opposite is actually true. The Lincoln is a dressed down Jaguar. Jaguar wanted and started development of a mid-sized sedan in the 90's. They wanted to go back to two sedans in the lineup since the original sports sedan had morphed from the Type II into the XJ and the XJ had grown into a near full size luxury car. Their problem however was funding. Here is where Ford ownership helped. They backed the program since they too needed a sport sedan. So, basically Jaguar designed the platform, Ford created a premium version of the 3.0 V6 and provided their transmission. Jaguar adapted their main V8. The rest is history. One of the best midsize sedan platforms was created. I say this because to this day it remains one of the best in forms of structural integrity and balance. In fact, it was only slightly modified to create the XF. Also, it was planned to be the basis of the 2005 Mustang but in the end, the Mustang team realized that it was soooo well done that there was no way they could build the Mustang on it and still remain on budget. So, a small rear stamping was the only part that carried over.

Now, the X Type and Mondeo is another thing all together. There too, the deviation from the original Mondeo is large but I'm sure it is discussed further in the X Type forum.

This whole theory that modern Jaguars are just "rebodied" Fords is totally wrong... In fact, Ford actually did the smart thing back in the day but it cost them a fortune. They had lost their way in the world of cars since spending so much on the booming truck market. So, they started acquiring car makers for their engineering. Jaguar, Volvo, Mazda all played a part. As a result, the Five Hundred / Taurus is a Volvo, the Fusion and Focus a Mazda and so on. Now, since selling off the brands, they are now relying on their European division to handle the cars. We have yet to see the real fruits of those since current cars, even the European derived ones, are still rooted in other platforms (ie the new Fiesta and Mazda 2 are platform mates)( the "new" Taurus is based on the old Taurus, a Volvo).

It really drives me nuts when supposed experts in cars really have no clue. A supposed well regarded local mechanic got me going as well. I had taken the Dodge Caravan to them to fix a common A/C line issue. I then asked him, while picking up the van, if there were things that came up on my car he could work on it... His answer, "Sure, it's just a Taurus".... I then asked him to point out where on my car were the common Taurus items... He pointed out the engine, transmission, suspension front and rear. I then proceeded to educate him on what it really was...to the point where he could only say.."wow, I didn't know that"... I never talked to him after that.
See, people on here in the UK are at a slight advantage. Since Jaguar's are much more popular there, there is a greater amount of service people available to you. Here in the US, it is much more difficult to find service people that even have a clue what they are looking at..

K, rant over....

The following 2 users liked this post by JOsworth:
bryce804 (03-21-2012), space0matic (03-18-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd say..."You're right, make sure not to charge me Jaguar rates"...

oakstar (03-20-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by oakstar
incompetent amateur - that's a kind way of putting it, my description involved less letters
My first attempt was spelled "(&%#(^! #&**%(^" but I wasn't sure if that would translate correctly. Good luck with the car, I'm sure the minor issues you've found will soon be ironed out.

oakstar (03-20-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi,

Quick question: for the jaguar tsb "Ticking/Bubbling Noise Behind Fascia/Instrument Panel" my car also falls within the VIN range.

Was curious what the specific tsb is about and what the fix is. (I checked the sticky for tsb's but could not find in the list).

Also any info on cost est. to get the tsb fixed by Jaguar mechanic.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Wow JOsworth!! What a great and informative post!!!

I am a bit confused by the OP?? What is a Jaguar S Type XS??

Do you have a X type or a S Type?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Excellent write up Jeff. Copied and saved for the next goof that says Laurie's car is a Taurus!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

XS is a (confusingly named) spec. (Just as Sport & SE are others.) No good asking me what each includes - job for Jeff

I reckon run away and find an indy. Place to ask unless you're near me is Jaguar Forum.co.uk • Index page (well, better read for a bit amd Search as people have listed them before).

There are some Ford parts (*) fitted but take Jeff's knowledge seriously. It's not a Mondeo. Oh, did Jeff mention the major suspension changes at 2002.5MY? They hugely improved the handling.

(*) more accurately, parts with Ford logo and WERS # etc but let's face it unlikely to be made by Ford; they'll be Bosch, Denso, etc etc

I don't think Jaguar will pay any of their dealers (they're franchises) to do that TSB at this date. The seller might pay if you're lucky. I'd guess not, as it's the kind of fault I wouldn't want to argue about in court!

The seller should fix the parking sensor. Easy to argue that one. And car jack. Dunno about the sump.

The knocking might be drop links (ARB). If it passed MoT you may struggle unless you pay for a further test or something.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Ford's ownership and attention to quality improvement saved Jaguar from oblivion. Maybe it's just my thick skin, but it simply has never bothered me when someone has referred to our S-Type as a Ford product. That has never happened with our XK8 and probably never will....

oakstar (03-20-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I agree. Ford did a lot of good things. Including allowing Jaguar to revamp the cars in 2002.5MY. A big decision that worked well.

oakstar (03-20-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Ford's ownership and attention to quality improvement saved Jaguar from oblivion. Maybe it's just my thick skin, but it simply has never bothered me when someone has referred to our S-Type as a Ford product. That has never happened with our XK8 and probably never will....
Originally Posted by JagV8
I agree. Ford did a lot of good things. Including allowing Jaguar to revamp the cars in 2002.5MY. A big decision that worked well.
Agreed. If it were not for Ford, there might not be a Jaguar of any type today. Certainly wouldn't be any beloved S-types around for us to enjoy.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ford did do a lot of good things for Jaguar, unfortunately the same cannot be said for what GM did to Saab. *******s. Sorry, still bitter about that one...

Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Excellent write up Jeff. Copied and saved for the next goof that says Laurie's car is a Taurus!
Shucks, tanks man...

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Wow JOsworth!! What a great and informative post!!!

I am a bit confused by the OP?? What is a Jaguar S Type XS??

Do you have a X type or a S Type?
From what I can gather, the XS trim was a diesel trim pack, similar to the Sport.

The letters denote trim levels for Jaguar. We don't get them here because we only get the upper level trim. The base S Type actually came with a cloth interior standard.. Yes, a cloth interior...

Basically there was a "no letter" base 2.5 petrol V6, a SE and Sport 3.0, a SE and Sport 4.2 V8, and the R.

Here is a link to the 2005 UK spec sheet from the brochure..

http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/...21-05_26_l.jpg

Now the diesel XS looks to be basically a 2.7d S Type with R trim... I've looked at a few adds from over in the UK... Here are some pictures.

Exterior... Note the spoiler and bumper trim.. Also the ground effects...

The interior gets R trim as well as the ultra rare aluminum dash/door trim.

Now.. Here is a real standard 2003 2.5 base car.. Cloth seats and stick shift...

Note the base car still gets real wood trim... Enjoy..

Looks just like our cars on the outside....

Not so much on the inside... LOL....

Originally Posted by RealmCenter
Ford did do a lot of good things for Jaguar, unfortunately the same cannot be said for what GM did to Saab. *******s. Sorry, still bitter about that one...
If you mean what they did while they owned them by platform sharing some pretty mediocre stuff.... I agree...

If you mean what they did by blocking the attempted sale, I don't.

GM actually did something smart there.. They kept their rights after the sale because Saab was still selling very current stuff in the form of the new 9-5 (GM midsize platform ala Buick and Opel) and 9-4x (brand new Cadillac SRX). When the current owner tried to flip it to a Chinese company they blocked it to protect their intellectual property from a business group known to steal such without regard to ownership. Behind the doors, I'm sure GM said yes to the brand sale and infrastructure but no to the actual cars... With that the Chinese walked and GM gets the blame... I think they did the right thing.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You said a mouthful when you said "pretty medicore stuff" GM has been the king of pretty medicore stuff for the past 30 years. Those platforms had nothing to offer beyond what China already has the capability of doing on their own. Funny how Ford managed to sell off Volvo, Jaguar and Aston Martin without those problems. It was one thing to kill off Pontiac and Oldsmobile, GM ruined those brands a long time ago. They had no buisness toying with a niche market company like Saab to begin with. The days of pumping out a bazillion crappy cookie cutter cars on the assumption people will just blindly buy them are over, the competition is too stiff for that now. They obviously figured that out when they went bankrupt. Putting a Saab emblem on a Trail Blazer was just straight up insulting.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up on my earlier question in this thread about the tsb for the "Ticking/Bubbling noise behind Fascia/Instrument Panel" as my car also falls within the VIN range.

Quick Reply: local mechanic calls s-type a mondeo