S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of FPR and Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Location of FPR and Camshaft

Dad asked me to find out where the location of the fuel pressure regulator and the camshaft sensor are on our 2001 Jaguar S-type 3.0L engine. Can anyone help find these or link a picture? Dad speaks english but is better with pictures, lol.

I googled and found a few pdfs engines and parts, one of a Duratec V6 engine, which I've read is the same model as in the Jag S-types from that period but he said it doesn't look like our engine. Maybe I should take a picture of it and post it here to identify it? Google enjoys playing games with me, giving me pictures and results of cars I don't' ask for. I thought I'd have more luck Googling a different make and model since engines are found in more than just the car I'm looking for. But I still get a lot of irrelevant stuff. And selling/buying! I never said I wanted to buy or sell the engine! I wish they wouldn't give so many links to sales.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 2,625 Likes on 1,810 Posts

If you are intending to work on the vehicle yourself, it may be a good idea to purchase the Workshop Manual, or download JTIS from the 'sticky' section of this forum free of charge. The location of all the sensors and other components are listed.

If the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is on, please post the codes so others may be able to suggest a course of action.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:16 PM

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is mounted on the fuel rail that delivers fuel to the injectors. Be sure to depressurise the system using the Schrader valve also on the fuel rail.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
If you are intending to work on the vehicle yourself, it may be a good idea to purchase the Workshop Manual, or download JTIS from the 'sticky' section of this forum free of charge. The location of all the sensors and other components are listed.

If the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is on, please post the codes so others may be able to suggest a course of action.
My dad plans on working on the car himself. I have looked up repair manuals for this specific car but he doesn't want to pay 85-100 dollars for them and he seems to think I can download anything off the net for free

Thanks for pointing out the JTIS, I'll download it for him. Hopefully it will tell him everything he needs to know. And I'll pass along the tip about de-pressurizing the system first. Much appreciated!!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

In addition to JTIS, you'll want to download a copy of JEPC which is the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-xmas-48052/

Invaluable for locating parts.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 PM

Dad has one of those scanner tools but he hasn't shown me any of the codes. Think he's having some trouble with it because he keeps wanting me to print out the guide thinking it should show a screen exactly like the one he's seeing but I don't think it can have a screenshot of every possible response you'll see on the lcd screen.

I'm also having trouble trying to download the handbook from Jaguar. I can't seem to find the S-type on the Jaguar site (on Canada site, or USA site). Actually I can find some that have (2007) and (2008) behind them but the link goes to .co.uk and then I get page not found. Then I go to select model and click other models/Topix and when I try to go to a manual it says I have to login.

I hate to play the dumb woman but could you help point me in the right direction? Is this a manual anyone can download for free? Do I have to register or pay? Is the screenshot I have show I'm on the right page?

Old 03-19-2016, 08:03 PM

You were close. Go to 'Owner's information' further down and then select Owner's Handbook

JJM 18 02 16 10 - S-TYPE Driver?s Handbook - North American Markets Only | TOPIx

Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

You should add Gus's site to your toolbox also JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource he has a lot of good info.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

I'd be reluctant to say where those components are without knowing why they were wanted - they rarely go wrong so quite likely someone is on the wrong track.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM

I can't take the car on the expressway because I hit a certain speed, usually 80 km/s, and then a light comes one and it feels like I've knocked the car into neutral because I can't accelerate anymore. I need to pull over and stop, not switch gears, and then I can start again. This happens in town too but only occasionally. It happens all the time on the expressway and often but less often on the highway. I wonder if it has to do with accelerating faster to a higher speed versus taking a road out of town that goes from 50 to 60 to 70 to 80 km/s?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Sounds like it's going into limp mode.
There should be codes, if your dad is having trouble reading them take it to Autozone or one of the others will check for free, get a note of the numbers not what they say they mean and post them here.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Sounds like it's going into limp mode.
There should be codes, if your dad is having trouble reading them take it to Autozone or one of the others will check for free, get a note of the numbers not what they say they mean and post them here.
+1.

If Dad is into DIY, he will need an OBDII code reader. Crappy Tire or Princess Auto has them on sale frequently.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by LindaJV
I can't take the car on the expressway because I hit a certain speed, usually 80 km/s, and then a light comes one and it feels like I've knocked the car into neutral because I can't accelerate anymore. I need to pull over and stop, not switch gears, and then I can start again. This happens in town too but only occasionally. It happens all the time on the expressway and often but less often on the highway. I wonder if it has to do with accelerating faster to a higher speed versus taking a road out of town that goes from 50 to 60 to 70 to 80 km/s?
+1 on posting the OBD codes, which are alpha-numeric, since it appears the vehicle is having an issue with misfires.

It is also helpful if you add your location as well as vehicle details, preferably to your signature line.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
+1.

If Dad is into DIY, he will need an OBDII code reader. Crappy Tire or Princess Auto has them on sale frequently.
Dad has a Digital CanOBD2 ScanTool (3130) reader. Codes 1386, 1388 and 1131.

I'm not sure if Dad would be a DIYer. He isn't a licensed mechanic but working for the City he fixed those ugly street sweepers and helped the licensed mechanics fix the other vehicles. I don't think he could work on them without a license but he loves to tell us how he'd teach the younger, licensed mechanics how to do the work easier. He said he stopped by recently (he's retired 4 or 5 years now) and the new shop supervisor came over to shake his hand and tell him what an honor it was to meet him, that he heard a lot about him. Ok there is probably some embellishing because my dad is a proud man and very hard of hearing so sometimes he fills in blanks, lol, but I remember him always working on cars and helping others work on stuff. He's more like those older generation guys who would fix their own plumbing, lawn mowers, cars, etc. I think of the new generation guys as the ones who look things up on the Internet and talk to people on forums like this and figure stuff out that way. There's something about older guys like my dad where they somehow figured stuff out on their own or by helping other guys who in turn shared their knowledge and some of them are just naturally handy. Its with the newer model cars that my dad has needed help figuring some stuff out.

So I guess he's a DIYer but part of me thinks that there is a point where a DIYer becomes almost as qualified as a licensed mech so I think there should be a rank between those two. Unlicensed, DIY-trained mechanic maybe? Lol, ok now I'm just rambling because the dogs got me up early and I'm tired.

If anyone can help with the codes we'd really appreciate it
!!!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM

A little searching reveals

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...lenoid-112298/

and

https://www.engine-light-help.com/ja...ine-light.html

Last edited by Mikey; 03-22-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 AM

Helps to get more information from my Dad. When I asked him about codes he kept saying the unit shuts off after he unplugs it so I never got the codes until this morning. Thanks for the links! It's a bit tricky because I'm trying to find information regarding our exact model but with help on the forum I can get information even if it comes from other models.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Anyone know where the petal position sensor is and what it looks like?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

It doesn't appear to be throwing codes so why?

More and more this looks like doing the wrong things. Make sure to get the free workshop manual and study it. Do not start changing parts or the like unless sure JTIS and the codes are understood. It's going to get very expensive otherwise and unlikely to result in a fix.

If unable to cope, I strongly suggest finding a tech who knows these cars. Much cheaper than random guesswork.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Clear all codes and start from zero. You have no idea what's going on yet and neither does your dad. We need to see if the codes will come back and repeat.

Remember the car is trying to tell us what's going on but we must help!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by LindaJV
Anyone know where the petal position sensor is and what it looks like?
It's clearly illustrated in the documentation we've pointed you to, but called 'pedal' position sensor if you're searching electronically.

You're now between a rock and a hard place, with your dad wanting to do 'hunt and peck' troubleshooting like in the old days, vs. the experienced guys here who are encouraging you to do it the proper way by taking advantage of the codes.

Listen to the experienced guys.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (03-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Location of FPR and Camshaft