S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked in Park - solenoid issue - any fix found?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by capt
Smokey, I also have the same problem with my shifter and tried to remove the assembly but ran into a problem. I can not figure out how to remove the small cable ( ignition lockout ) and did not want to break the plastic connector. Does it pull off. Are you going to inspect the old part to see if it shows any sign of the problem?
Thanks, capt
capt - I don't want to pass myself off as up to the calibre of Jag V8 or Cat, but I believe you are speaking about the cable at the lower left of the J-gate box. When you pull the box part of the way out you can access the small white connector (its a small white rectangular box like connection that just "snaps" onto the ball on the J-gate box. Also there is a clip just forward of the connector that unclips from a c like cable holder. Not sure that is clear but hope it helps. I had to take mine in and out several times. Just make sure you pull straight down on both and they will unsnap, similar to the way the shift cable "unsnaps" off the J-gate ball on the right hand side. I am still having trouble with my JTIS online manual but it is probably in there along with pictures. I'd definitely try and get a copy of that if you don't have it. It answers a lot of questions.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Smokey, thanks for the quick reply. I guess I didn't pull hard enough due to fear of breaking it. The parts dept. at local dealer did a search on the cable and said none available!
capt

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default JTIS on Auto Trans External Controls

Hi [smokey73] and [capt], see JTIS Auto Transmission section 307-05 for pics and how to ...

I can appreciate your concerns about breaking a connector [capt] so keep in mind there are several oft-overlooked pages in JTIS Electrical - Harnesses section 418-02 that show all connectors ... how they separate/lock; pin extraction; repair etc. Handy to photocopy/laminate and keep on hand.

Congrats again [smokey73] for a fine fix. Perhaps as you in turn guide [capt] here, one or both of you could assemble some words and pics (PM each other?) on both the mechanical (lower) issues/fix; then the electronic test process/fix for the "black box" (upper) section of the J-Gate Assembly?

If so, make sure you stipulate the MYs to which your "how to" relates; tools and references needed. Copy-and-Paste from posts thus far ... then summarize in one new post. As [capt] is finding, a few well presented pics can make the job not just doable, but in the end, very rewarding. If the Mods see merit, they will copy into the S-Type "How to ..." sticky.
Best wishes,
Ken

Old 09-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Default Sounds like a plan

CAT,

I'm hustling around getting ready for a trip to China and Japan but I like your idea. I didn't take pictures while I was doing the work but I still have the old upper J-gate portion and I will take some pictures and maybe do a postmortim on it, taking pictures of it as its disassembled. That will all have to wait until I get back

One point that I'll have to remember to mention. I think somehow in the circuit is the EPB (Electric parking brake) switch. So a failure there could also impact the solenoid circuit. When I put in the new J-gate and hooked it up (without the EPB switch plugged in) the solenoid wouldn't work. I then plugged in the EPB switch and everything worked perfectly. It was not a new EPB switch so there is no reason to believe that the problem was there but that is why I did not say that the failure is conclusively proved as the only fix to the problem.

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello Smokey ... and I trust Capt is in the wings?

Perhaps only 10% of those looking for help ever bother to report back ... and of those perhaps only half bother to say "Thanks". So Smokey, this is not a bitch but rather a huge compliment, because you're already in our top 5%.

Turning around and helping the next member with the same or similar problem despite now knowing the odds (but Capt won't fail here) ... well, that's gotta be 2% territory. Following through my proposal, as you seem ready to do by putting words and pics into a write-up, is definitely the <1% pinnacle. If anyone doubt this, count 'em. Isn't so difficult you know; I'm happy to act as sounding board; I'm sure Graham [GGG] will help with any technical questions about format and posting.
Best wishes for your travels ... and I look forward to developments on your return,
Ken

Old 11-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Back from China and am trying to get the pictures together. I'm having trouble trying to remove the black shift indicator plate from the J gate so that I can get a good picture of the offending control module. I can pry it apart a little and took some pictures but if I can figure out how to get things apart I'll take better pictures. I'll compose a picture of the fix as well as a summary of the problem, the symptoms, the way I figured it out and the final fix. By the way the shifter is working flawlessly now. I'll probably be selling the Jag soon as I have too many cars and not enough room to park them but its been a great car. Don't know why so many people think they are not reliable, they seem to be just as reliable as any other car of this vintage and type with a little maintenance.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=smokey73;1111366]Back from China and am trying to get the pictures together. I'm having trouble trying to remove the black shift indicator plate from the J gate so that I can get a good picture of the offending control module. I can pry it apart a little and took some pictures but if I can figure out how to get things apart I'll take better pictures.

Smokey, I had mine apart last week. Use a small screw driver on the end facing the rear of car, in center there is a locking tab. This end will lift up and then the front end was difficult. The cover needs to go forward to release from the front tangs. I used a combination of lifting rear, pushing forward and prying front corner with screw driver one side at a time. It will come apart with a little force. My circuit board looks good? I did a test on the J-gate wire harness connector and found pin 3 to have no voltage with key on. I have not done the next step that is to check front electronic module pin for voltage. I did find the black plastic piece that was broken at top of shifter from previous owner probably when stuck in park. This is easily repairable to stronger than new with epoxy due to the honey comb design. For now I left out till I locate the problem. I tested the solenoid and it works good with 12 volts applied. I just read your post about a possible connection with the EPB circuit. I have discovered my module in trunk is unplugged so there must be a problem with it or motor or cable. I will save that suprise till I have more time or some help.
capt