S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Lug Nut tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Locking Lug Nut tool

Does anyone have an extra one that are willing to sell that would fit an 05 STR? Was at Firestone for a tire balancing, an hor and half goes by just to find out there is no key for the locking security lug nut. Pissed. Do these keys go by year and model or are all random?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

They should be random in order to better protect your wheels from being stolen. Did you check your trunk thoroughly? Sometimes these things aren't stowed properly and they roll around and find their way into the nooks and crannies. Give your trunk a thorough inspection. Also check your glove compartment. I'll bet it's lodged somewhere in the trunk....

Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
They should be random in order to better protect your wheels from being stolen. Did you check your trunk thoroughly? Sometimes these things aren't stowed properly and they roll around and find their way into the nooks and crannies. Give your trunk a thorough inspection. Also check your glove compartment. I'll bet it's lodged somewhere in the trunk....
I went through that thing more thorough than a Custom officer would when coming accross a 1971 VW van stuffed with 28 people in it trying to get through the Mexican/US border.

But will give it another look...

Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

Have you only just bought the car? If so, go back to the seller.
If not.... how have you only now found this out?

With full ID, Jaguar can no doubt order you the part you need.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Have you only just bought the car? If so, go back to the seller.
If not.... how have you only now found this out?

With full ID, Jaguar can no doubt order you the part you need.

Bought the car 4 months ago, not from a Jag dealer. They are not going to get me one. They suck. I have only figured this out because I dont have a habit of randomely taking the wheels off of the car for sh*ts and giggles, and just realized it when I went to get the tires balanced. Was trying to avoid, what will most likely be, an expensive little part when going directly through the dealer.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

It won't be cheap if you get a flat!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

is it just 1 per wheel???? if so, have a tire shop use the tools to remove them and buy new locks. A decent tire shop has the removal tools....a decent one mind you. shouldnt be more then 50 bucks

they are 12 x 1.50 correct?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
is it just 1 per wheel???? if so, have a tire shop use the tools to remove them and buy new locks. A decent tire shop has the removal tools....a decent one mind you. shouldnt be more then 50 bucks

they are 12 x 1.50 correct?
Ya its just one per wheel, thats a good idea though Jason. Firestone didnt even offer to do that, are there any "decent" chain stores? How would they remove the lock lug w/ out F'n up the rim, for it is set in pretty good? Not sure about the size, will take a pic and post it up in a little bit.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey, post those pictures. I took the set off of mine. They are in the original package with the key. Funny thing is I took them off because I hate wheel locks, and really don't need them in Akron. Go figure. Anyway, they were on the 05 when I got it, the original owner had put the key and original lugs in the lock package. Let me know.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Here ya go...I called the dealer yesterday and he said, and I quote, "we will try and chisel it off, I cant guaruntee the rim wont be damaged, and the transmission reflash is one and a half hr labor, $165."

Dude, try and chisel it off!? WTF is that, why wouldnt they just drill through it if they were to use such crude methods in the first place. Unreal.

Name:  lug2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  lug3.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  248.0 KB

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Hey, post those pictures. I took the set off of mine. They are in the original package with the key. Funny thing is I took them off because I hate wheel locks, and really don't need them in Akron. Go figure. Anyway, they were on the 05 when I got it, the original owner had put the key and original lugs in the lock package. Let me know.

i also hate wheel locks, just need those damn things off, and NO a chisel is not going to be involved!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Damn... Your dealer sounds like a bunch of butt heads! That is the problem with dealers; "your results may vary". Back to the topic. Good and Bad.... Bad first. My set is different than yours. They must make a bunch of patterns. However, here is the good news. I opened the package and it ends up that there is a serial number for each set. So, look through all your paper work and manuals for a "Lock I.D. Card". It will have the mailing address of McGard, since they are the ones that make the wheel locks. Here is their number as well, 1-800-444-5847 or 1-716-662-8980. The lock id card will also have the serial number for the wheel locks. Let me know via PM if you want my set as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Damn... Your dealer sounds like a bunch of butt heads! That is the problem with dealers; "your results may vary". Back to the topic. Good and Bad.... Bad first. My set is different than yours. They must make a bunch of patterns. However, here is the good news. I opened the package and it ends up that there is a serial number for each set. So, look through all your paper work and manuals for a "Lock I.D. Card". It will have the mailing address of McGard, since they are the ones that make the wheel locks. Here is their number as well, 1-800-444-5847 or 1-716-662-8980. The lock id card will also have the serial number for the wheel locks. Let me know via PM if you want my set as well.

Thanks alot for your help Jeff, going to go check for the card now. Will let you know how it goes....knowing my luck the Lock ID Card grew legs and ran away in the middle of the night

Old 07-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

How did you make out? Did you find the card?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

find an independent shop thaT does wheels, perhaps a car audio shop , snap-on makes a set to do this by the way.

Also i have gone to sears and bought a socket ever so slightly larger then the lock itself, with a small hammer and an extension on it, i have hammered it on and removed the lock that way "12 point socket btw". take some blue painters tape and apply it on the wheels just in case you slip off. MULTIPLE LAYERS OF TAPE WORK BETTER THOUGH

Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM

How did you make out? Did you find the card?
Unfortunately I cant find any kind of card with the info for the lug. In the manual it says that a dealer can order one but I have to give them proof of ownership. Funny how the only dealer close to me said the only option is to "chisel" it off.

I am planning on going to upstate NY for a wedding this wknd, and if I get a flat i am SCREWED!!

PHD: I dont know if I personally can do the socket and hammer method, knowing me I will F it all up, and have to have the thing drilled out of chisled.

The only card I have is the radio code, and I even checked the stickers in the door jams for any kind of useful info but it doesnt have anything. Argghhhh

Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
Unfortunately I cant find any kind of card with the info for the lug. In the manual it says that a dealer can order one but I have to give them proof of ownership. Funny how the only dealer close to me said the only option is to "chisel" it off.

I am planning on going to upstate NY for a wedding this wknd, and if I get a flat i am SCREWED!!

PHD: I dont know if I personally can do the socket and hammer method, knowing me I will F it all up, and have to have the thing drilled out of chisled.

The only card I have is the radio code, and I even checked the stickers in the door jams for any kind of useful info but it doesnt have anything. Argghhhh
i have friends up in the boston area if you can give me a close location, i might be able to get some help for you.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:20 PM

I live in Quincy, which is considered the beginning of the South Shore/borders Boston. Some towns near me include Weymouth, Dedham, Norwood, Braintree... Where are your connects located? Thanks man.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

makin some calls as we speak/type

Old 07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hyde Park kinda close???? if so J.T. Motoring talk to Brian or Joe. They are on Hyde Park Blvd/Ave.

If this works let me know, if not ill send you somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nut tool