S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2005 STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at a 2005 STR

Found a local 05 with 48k miles, black/black. Price is close to where I want to be. Needs a bath and some new floor mats best I can tell. No coolant leaks I can see, no rear end noise, hits hard, no engine noise other than that beautiful whine, new pads, no rattles or squeaks.

I'm plan to call the dealer about a prepurchase inspection, or possibly a good local shop and let them spend a few hours with it.

Owner installed some 20" chrome rims and tires that don't look all that bad but are too blingy for this car, will sell them. He has the factory wheels, some minor curb rash, may see about cleaning them up a bit and powder coat black or charcoal, seen a few here that look very nice like that.

I've read over the forums here for hours, owned BMWs, a Mercedes and tons of other stuff, used to be in the engine biz and have a SBC Jeep, 69 Camaro, etc, turn my own wrenches typically but don't know squat about Jags.

Anything else I'm overlooking? Any advice?

Thanks,

Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Make sure it has both keys....or knock about $400 off the purchase so you can buy one, have it programmed, and still be where you want to be.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 PM

Good to know, I had both keys in my hands so that's covered.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hate to but check that both FOBs lock/unlock the doors. Have to go to the dealer for programming and that alone is $100-$200 forget exactly how much....

Battery is probably original and they get real cantankerous when the batt starts to go. I'm probably gonna pick one up this week for my wife's 05 3.0L - no problems at all...but I don't want her to get the light show and reduced perf. mode and all..

You probably already checked this out, but even though it's getting warm around here (until this weekend anyway!!!) check that you get heated air out of both sides and that you can switch both to cool. Search DCCV here on the forums for more info. Basically, the heater valve has a tendency to stick and when it does, it manages to somehow blow some circuits in the climate control module. While I'm on water.....check the trunk, in spare tire well for evidence of water leakage. They also have a leak history and there are some modules in there with the spare tire that make weirdness occur when wet/corroded.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Good info, thank you again. Any recommendations about where to go for a good inspection?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

PM Motorcarman and see if he does that? Former tech at a Jag dealership that has his own shop now. If there is something he doesn't know about Jags..it's probably not worth knowing. He's not too far from Boyd, if they'll let you bring it that far.

Jagmac Jaguar in Irving is a father/son team and one is named Ian, but I forget which. Don't have a number handy but you can find them on the web. THey have a good reputation, it seems. Before I found the forum or Motorcarman, I had them redo the headliner in the 03 S-type. Good job, cheaper than the dealership but still pricey. My only complaint is I made all the arrangements over the phone with the son and when I picked it up I dealt with the dad, and he was more expensive.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Ummm....I hope your not talking about this 05' STR Black on Black with 20's on for sale

Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 2005 STR-str.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 03-06-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 PM

For some reason I can't see pics. Not enough posts or?

The 20's will go on CL IF I buy it. Other than that....why do you ask? Know something. I don't?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by American
For some reason I can't see pics. Not enough posts or?

The 20's will go on CL IF I buy it. Other than that....why do you ask? Know something. I don't?
A friend of mine who lives in Garland, Texas don't know if you live close by there went to see that STR. He had sent me a few pics because he was thinking of buying it not too long ago, but it turned out the STR was slipping gears a little, rear struts were worn out and he noticed like a vacuum leak sound coming from the engine, didn't know what it was nor did the owner. But all in all he backed out of the deal because he didnt want to take a gamble on it and the owner wouldnt go down on the price.
Its a wild shot in the park if its the same STR

Good Luck and definitely get it checked out by a Jag dealer for a full inspection.

Last edited by jag79; 03-06-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM

Probably is but the rear struts seemed ok and I ran it through the gears at WOT to about 100...didn't notice any slippage. Hence my desire for a pre purchase inspection.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Pics please.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jag79
Ummm....I hope your not talking about this 05' STR Black on Black with 20's on for sale
I can see the pic this morning...that's not the same car for sure.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM

My thoughts, as I stated above, is to sell what's on there and take the factory wheels, rehab them a bit and go black like the late Riski's STR (RIP).

Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Not having the ability to edit posts and post large images is making things a bit tough here....

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Well... in large part to these forums and your information I am moving forward with buying this STR. We have a deal struck financially and it's going to the dealer here tomorrow for a top to bottom inspection by their lead tech, who I spoke with at length today.

Assuming everything comes out ok I'll be in it by Wednesday.

If you are interested, here are some pics I shot with my Droid X. It was very dusty and needs a good detailing but you will get the idea.

https://picasaweb.google.com/wbg1968/Jag#

Again, the bling wheels are going adios... stockers will go back on with fresh rubber.

Thanks for everyone's input and you can bet you'll be seeing more of me around here if all goes as planned.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I have a Platinum/Charcoal 2005 STR. I think yours is a bit rare? The two tone interior sometimes called a Portfolio plus no wood.
Very nice!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by American
Well... in large part to these forums and your information I am moving forward with buying this STR. We have a deal struck financially and it's going to the dealer here tomorrow for a top to bottom inspection by their lead tech, who I spoke with at length today.

Assuming everything comes out ok I'll be in it by Wednesday.

If you are interested, here are some pics I shot with my Droid X. It was very dusty and needs a good detailing but you will get the idea.

https://picasaweb.google.com/wbg1968/Jag#

Again, the bling wheels are going adios... stockers will go back on with fresh rubber.

Thanks for everyone's input and you can bet you'll be seeing more of me around here if all goes as planned.
Nice STR. If you want to get some wood trim let me know I'll trade you. LOL. Yea definitly go back to stock wheels.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM

I wasn't aware of an STR Portfolio, thought they were only SV8 and XKR models. Any information on that with an STR???

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not buy that car. I bet it was wrecked. Look, it doesn't even have HID lights, that was a standard option on EVERY R car. The bumper also looks off, run from that thing...I bet it has frame damage based on how the bumper does not line up. There are plenty other nice ones online! What is your price range? I will help find you a nice car.

Last edited by 08Z06; 03-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Actually, he told me it was popped in the nose, didn't get the fenders or hood and I gotta tell ya, I've been in the car business, had a ton of custom cars and I searched this thing over real good and if he hadn't told me I would have never known, no signs of damage, overspray, nothing. Yes, it's missing lights.

Again, that's why it's going to the Jag dealer for a top to bottom inspection tomorrow.. before I buy.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2005 STR