Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2005 STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Do not buy that car. I bet it was wrecked. Look, it doesn't even have HID lights, that was a standard option on EVERY R car. The bumper also looks off, run from that thing...I bet it has frame damage based on how the bumper does not line up. There are plenty other nice ones online! What is your price range? I will help find you a nice car.
You have excellent eyes! , Lolz...I was going to mention about that too...but hey Americano gr8 buy and I always luv the Black on Black with 2 tone,mmmmmmmmmm nice! Are you going to sell those 20's? how much? maybe we can work a deal out with my Barcelona's, jk!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did run a Carfax on it as well, first owner was out of NJ, serviced religiously at Bergen Jaguar then looks like it was turned in off lease just short of 30k, then sold to a pretty reputable dealership here where the current owner bought it.

His damage description and carfax seem to jive along with the replacement of the radio/nav and instrument cluster per his description and my research with the local dealer.

So far I'm not seeing a deal killer but I'll know more tomorrow afternoon.

I plan on buying some Mina grilles for the bottom. I'll have to check in HIDs.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 218 Likes on 130 Posts

I would make the dealership put stock HID's back in. Who knows what kinda wiring was messed up to go to halogens. Plus it will costs alot to go back to HIDs might as well make them do it right. Makes me wonder who did the repair that they somewhat had to modify it to make the repairs cheaper whats the deal with that.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM

I was reading this post.

Originally Posted by Bull27
Thanks a bunch! I dont like how the 05 and up STR's do not have fog lights. It looks as though they should be in there, and that you have a "lower" trim that doesnt come with them. The original black plastic inserts just didnt do it for me.
This car has the plastic inserts like the lower center grille, so I wonder, did all 05 STR's really come with fog lights/HIDs??? or am I reading his post wrong or ???

Again, I'm learning here.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

05+ the fog lights were removed. Jaguar moved the oil coolers down there so fog lights were only on the 03-04. 05 is the only year that is the newer body style with Brembos. 06+ looks like the 05 but no Brembos. All R's have HIDs.
05's are pretty unique since they are the only year set up like they are. But all R's are BA dont get me wrong. Just depends on your flavor.

Last edited by vance580; 03-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM

Obviously I'm confused then...again... where are the HID's supposed to be mounted?

Good info btw.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 PM

Oh wait... I wasn't paying attention, you mean the headlight bulbs... I thought you were talking about additional lights. Now I see... the light. Yeah, gotta have HID's. That IS interesting for sure... wiring, hmmm..

Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, well if that is fine with you then by all means. Not sure why someone would not put the HID's back in though. I'd take a harder look at the bumper too, or even pull it off and have a little look around

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by American
Oh wait... I wasn't paying attention, you mean the headlight bulbs... I thought you were talking about additional lights. Now I see... the light. Yeah, gotta have HID's. That IS interesting for sure... wiring, hmmm..
The entire headlight housing is different. The headlights will have ballast with HIDs. The wiring between halogen and HID's is also different which means they had to change stuff to go with the cheaper housings and bulbs. Here is a comparasion that is your pic and the other is my front you can see the inside of the headlights. The smaller circle inside the lens is the ballast where the HID bulb is. The top one is just a stardard halogen. The R's will all look like the bottom. I would see if the dealership will put it too the way it should be before you get it. The headlight housing with HID's are over 1000 a piece I believe. So if you do it after the fact you gonna have to pay might as well make them do it. I'm thinking that when it got into that little front end accident the guy paid out of pocket or fixed it up cheap cause he was getting rid of it and pocketed the difference. If he cracked the lens it was probably a significant difference to go with standard halogen over replacing the HIDs. I also believe all the R's have the trim piece inside painted black so the headlights have that black tinted look. The ones on that car are chrome. Hope this helps clear it up.

Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 2005 STR-2011-03-05_17-37-11_218.jpg   Looking at a 2005 STR-front3.jpg  

Last edited by vance580; 03-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM

I'm buying this from an individual. Several complete assemblies are on Ebay, 370.00 for each side, I'm not sure I really care about having the HIDs but it does highlight the fact that the front end needs to be looked at very carefully.

Good catch guys, just one more thing I would have missed because I simply don't know any better.

I suspect that his wife rear ended someone or something similar, and either insurance cut them short on funds or it was out of pocket and they cut corners. Red flag.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

I'm buying this from an individual. Several complete assemblies are on Ebay, 370.00 for each side, I'm not sure I really care about having the HIDs but it does highlight the fact that the front end needs to be looked at very carefully.

Good catch guys, just one more thing I would have missed because I simply don't know any better.

I suspect that his wife rear ended someone or something similar, and either insurance cut them short on funds or it was out of pocket and they cut corners. Red flag.

The 1000 is what I've heard of people being quoted at the dealership. Sorry I thought this was a dealer car. I would just ask him about it then. Maybe you can get some dollars off for it not having HID's.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

HIDs are nice to have. I would also be very curious as to why they were replaced with halogen lamps, and wonder what sort of wiring maybe problematic in the future. My car has the fog lamps, I really prefer the way they look.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It's $1k just for the HID assemblies, then you have to pay to have it wired up right. Probably another $500 knowing dealers. It really is a shame because that aluminum package interior is to die for! Regarding oil coolers, i'm willing to bet that one of them is messed up , or might even be missing. I saw an 03 XJR that was wrecked and the guy did the body work himself. He simply did not replace the oil and trans coolers on the car and ran it straight thru the radiator like most cars have. Thats really ghetto.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08Z06
It's $1k just for the HID assemblies, then you have to pay to have it wired up right. Probably another $500 knowing dealers. It really is a shame because that aluminum package interior is to die for! Regarding oil coolers, i'm willing to bet that one of them is messed up , or might even be missing. I saw an 03 XJR that was wrecked and the guy did the body work himself. He simply did not replace the oil and trans coolers on the car and ran it straight thru the radiator like most cars have. Thats really ghetto.
Thats an excellent point. If they went cheap on the headlights. Make sure they didnt just bypass the oil coolers. There should be a radiator looking thing inside where you expect fog light to be. Make sure the lines are ran to it. If those got cracked during the accident they may of just bypassed them. If there missing or bypassed it may be something the mechanic doesnt really notice since he will probably just be looking for crumple damage and leaks.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Im passing on this car. Details later. Still looking.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Details later.
Why later?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Cuz Im eating lunch.....priorities.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:09 PM

o_0 Waiting for details.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM

That was some good Meskin food...

Long story short, the owner was recognized by service personnel, car was hit more than just in the nose, caught a fender too, possible suspension damage, owner bought parts and fixed elsewhere, obvious corners cut, no HID's, etc... I'm out.

Still looking.. .maybe even an XJR for more room. Looking for black/black.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM

I think that was a smart move. Keep us posted!

That was some good Meskin food...

Long story short, the owner was recognized by service personnel, car was hit more than just in the nose, caught a fender too, possible suspension damage, owner bought parts and fixed elsewhere, obvious corners cut, no HID's, etc... I'm out.

Still looking.. .maybe even an XJR for more room. Looking for black/black.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2005 STR