S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2005 STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I bet that the owner was sweating when you took it where they know car. He was probably in there all the time trying to get things sorted out that he cut corners on and were causing problems. Then he figured I should just sell it and get something else.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I was gonna Im off Friday in the afternoon and I can join you to look it over if you like.

But looks like you walked from it.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can buy it at 14k. The passenger fender and nose was replaced and then he shot the whole car, which was actually done pretty well. He didn't want to pay for the passenger side HID and still has the driver side HID assembly...he thinks. The new bling wheels/tires already had some inside wear but it could simply be alignment as it actually drove and handled very well other than the front tires rubbing at times...just too big.

It's primarily the simple fact that it's been hit and painted, regardless of how little.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso
I was gonna Im off Friday in the afternoon and I can join you to look it over if you like.

But looks like you walked from it.
I certainly appreciate that and may very well take you up on that on the next one.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

HI Brad..
i know you are set on the 05 STR
but there are a good deals on the 03 ... i purchased mine last year from on of the dealers on ebay. It was my second card purchased on Ebay. (still satisfied)

I saw 3 of the STR on ebay the last time i checked it out.

good luck

Old 03-08-2011, 03:57 PM

There are a few locally, trying to check on the. Nice silver/black 04 with 70k for $15k, good history, clean... prefer black/black but silver is nice in our climate.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted....

Last edited by jaguar007; 03-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You dont want a 15k Jag. Any way you could possibly swing 25k? Its only another $150/month..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-S-...item3a63dc3da0

Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
HI Brad..
i know you are set on the 05 STR
but there are a good deals on the 03 ... i purchased mine last year from on of the dealers on ebay. It was my second card purchased on Ebay. (still satisfied)

I saw 3 of the STR on ebay the last time i checked it out.

good luck
Nice youtube vid Joe! Thats same exhaust system I'm going to go with and hopefully achieve that same sound.
Are you by any chance Pilipino? I luv eating Munggo Guisado,Maruya I and of course Adobong Baboy while I was there in Manila few years back, the women were waayyy to friendly which took me off guard,but overall the culture is amazing. Would definitely go back if I have another chance

Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

This is something you need to take your time with for sure, I passed on 3 before I got the one I have now.

There is a lot to the 'R' and it can be a serious money pit ASAP if you jump in blind or you go at it alone.

Always trust the dealership multi-point inspection. If you think you can live with the headlight issue. And if the car has been hit I can join you, and we can heckle him down.

Armed with info.

The car is devalued in several ways unless he is willing to make it right.

The missing xeons, the 20's and the fact its been hit. its not worth KBB Private Party but might be worth trade in value.

Let me know what you decide.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM

trying looking at this.... less than 11K
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...fCarsQ5fTrucks

i m sure you will have a lot of money to spare for the goodies...

jaguar007, sorry i m not Philipino...I m Indonesian...
well that sound is from straight pipes... i m currently having custom exhaust using Mangnaflows... (sound much better.. quieter... )

Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
trying looking at this.... less than 11K
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...fCarsQ5fTrucks

i m sure you will have a lot of money to spare for the goodies...

jaguar007, sorry i m not Philipino...I m Indonesian...
well that sound is from straight pipes... i m currently having custom exhaust using Mangnaflows... (sound much better.. quieter... )
My bad El Kapitan! I would luv to hear your new exhaust setup once its completed. Will you be doing a youtube vid of it?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Yes I will take a new Video
as soon as i m done with the wheel upgrades...
I m replacing the chrome wheelset to the Barcelonas...

and i did replace the front brembos brake pads

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM

I appreciate the links, been looking at them all, Ebay, AutoTrader, CraigsList, these forums, etc etc.

I just went through this to find my 69 Camaro, drove all over Texas looking at expensive rust buckets and finally found what I wanted after months of searching.

I sold my daily driver and I drive quite a bit with work, car pooling with the wife will only last so long.

I much prefer to buy locally for obvious reasons AND be able to take it to a local dealer for inspection.

Here is a 2004 with 75k and a pretty good trail on CarFax. It was bought from Millennium Jag where I had the inspection performed on the 05 today and serviced there for most of it's life. So it shouldn't be hard to find out all I want about it and I have tools to track down previous owners as well.

You say not to buy a 15k Jag yet everyone here seems to say they will go the miles reliably...with proper service. 75k is hardly alot of miles. This is a third car for me, a daily driver to burn up the road and take the occasional road trip in when we don't need to take our Tahoe. So, is a properly serviced (making an assumption for now) 75k 2004 STR not a good buy?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow but the pics seem to show a pretty good car...as far as pics can show. Check out the carfax link in the ad too.

Oh... they were at 15k today but dropped the price online to 14.5k this afternoon and then to 13.9k on the phone tonight... all with never gracing their door.

DFW is a great place to buy a car and Jabs are hit and miss, the same car across town is priced at retail and sells two days later... then you find the basically same car somewhere else for thousands less. You just never know. Sometimes it's all about timing, catching a dealer when they are needing to turn over some inventory or a private owner who needs to move a car for a variety of reasons.

The fun part is finding the right car at the right time, at the right price.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by American
I appreciate the links, been looking at them all, Ebay, AutoTrader, CraigsList, these forums, etc etc.

I just went through this to find my 69 Camaro, drove all over Texas looking at expensive rust buckets and finally found what I wanted after months of searching.

I sold my daily driver and I drive quite a bit with work, car pooling with the wife will only last so long.

I much prefer to buy locally for obvious reasons AND be able to take it to a local dealer for inspection.

Here is a 2004 with 75k and a pretty good trail on CarFax. It was bought from Millennium Jag where I had the inspection performed on the 05 today and serviced there for most of it's life. So it shouldn't be hard to find out all I want about it and I have tools to track down previous owners as well.

You say not to buy a 15k Jag yet everyone here seems to say they will go the miles reliably...with proper service. 75k is hardly alot of miles. This is a third car for me, a daily driver to burn up the road and take the occasional road trip in when we don't need to take our Tahoe. So, is a properly serviced (making an assumption for now) 75k 2004 STR not a good buy?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow but the pics seem to show a pretty good car...as far as pics can show. Check out the carfax link in the ad too.

Oh... they were at 15k today but dropped the price online to 14.5k this afternoon and then to 13.9k on the phone tonight... all with never gracing their door.

DFW is a great place to buy a car and Jabs are hit and miss, the same car across town is priced at retail and sells two days later... then you find the basically same car somewhere else for thousands less. You just never know. Sometimes it's all about timing, catching a dealer when they are needing to turn over some inventory or a private owner who needs to move a car for a variety of reasons.

The fun part is finding the right car at the right time, at the right price.
Good luck! Supposedly I bought a 06' Blue STR with Barcelonas so my cousin says who bought it at an auto auction in Tx. It was a salvage title with only 47k for $14,200 minus auction fees. But it looks like there was some mix up of the pics b/c some forum members here say those pics are from a jag dealer in San Jose,lolz..still trying to get a hold of my cuz and clear the mess up. Just be careful out there with swindlers not that I'm saying my cousin is one, not yet that is,lolz.

God Bless!

Last edited by jaguar007; 03-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso
This is something you need to take your time with for sure, I passed on 3 before I got the one I have now.

There is a lot to the 'R' and it can be a serious money pit ASAP if you jump in blind or you go at it alone.

Always trust the dealership multi-point inspection. If you think you can live with the headlight issue. And if the car has been hit I can join you, and we can heckle him down.

Armed with info.

The car is devalued in several ways unless he is willing to make it right.

The missing xeons, the 20's and the fact its been hit. its not worth KBB Private Party but might be worth trade in value.

Let me know what you decide.
I appreciate your input and willingness to help me in my quest. I was just told too many things that didn't jive from this guy and not told things that I had really quizzed him on yet he refused to volunteer, even in the face of an inspection that he had to know would shed light on what he did...all at the very place he sometimes frequented and bought the repair parts from!

So, was it ignorant bliss or complete disregard towards a straight forward business transaction. I know I expect too much from people but if you do the right thing then you never have to lie. Had he fixed it properly then come clean about what happened I wouldn't have had alarms going off about this car. He hid the truth, made me hunt for it and still wouldn't fess up once it was all said and done. I've learned long ago to walk away from people like that and not try to what if it to death.

Jag built more than one of these so there is hope for me.

I may very well take you up on your offer before it's said and done...and then of course I'll need an intake elbow from ya.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by American
I appreciate your input and willingness to help me in my quest. I was just told too many things that didn't jive from this guy and not told things that I had really quizzed him on yet he refused to volunteer, even in the face of an inspection that he had to know would shed light on what he did...all at the very place he sometimes frequented and bought the repair parts from!

So, was it ignorant bliss or complete disregard towards a straight forward business transaction. I know I expect too much from people but if you do the right thing then you never have to lie. Had he fixed it properly then come clean about what happened I wouldn't have had alarms going off about this car. He hid the truth, made me hunt for it and still wouldn't fess up once it was all said and done. I've learned long ago to walk away from people like that and not try to what if it to death.

Jag built more than one of these so there is hope for me.

I may very well take you up on your offer before it's said and done...and then of course I'll need an intake elbow from ya.
Hey Americano he probably hid the truth and made you work for it b/c that how the world turns not everyone is going to be a SAint I glad you didnt buy that one, and hopefully you'll find the right one, just keep looking, I bought a salvaged one and I intend to use it till the wheels fall off

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,907 Posts

You are lucky to live in the DFW area! I got my 2005 STR at Texas Cars Direct. You can drive over and see it in person.

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/Publi...2/default.aspx

Easy deal. They pretty much sell all off lease cars. A lot of 3-5 year old cars. No haggle, no salesman bothering you. I looked at it online and sent the money. They picked me up at the airport in a Jaguar free of charge and I drove home that night. They try to only deal in Jaguar, Land Rover and Mercedes. A few other interesting things are usually in stock too.

The STR is getting a bit old for them to carry and they don't come in that often. Since you are somewhat flexible they also have XJ's and XF's. You just have to keep checking. I actually lost my car the first time trying to get the financing straight and they said they sold it. It came back up and I got it. One of the employees there wanted it but then decided to get a different Jaguar.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Found another one this morning locally. 03 with 68k, black/black, asking 12.6k. Has this note in the ad:

Maintenance:
Synthetic oil changes done regularly
Air and Cabin Filters changed regularly
New Front Sport Tires - Mar 2010
New Water Pump - Jan 2011
New HID lights (headlights) - 2011
Inspection - Jan 2011

But I think has only been owned about by this person for about a year. Will need some investigation. Emailed and waiting to hear back about seeing it.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Brad, since I cant PM you. Email me your # please. lfrigoli@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2005 STR