Old 07-22-2023 | 07:25 PM
|
Default Looking for advice

Hello I am looking at purchasing a second s type
but don't know much about the 4.2 R
I already have a 2004 4.2 N/A
But are thinking about getting a R model as well
the one I am thinking about is a 2002 year
It is 2000 km away from where I live so looking for advice before I purchase a plane ticket

I have been told color is slate gray Metallic
paint code LHL
I have been trying to find photos of a s type that color on the net with no luck
Would any fourm members have any photos they could post for me as photos of car are not very clear

Also is there anything in particular I should be looking for
Thanking you
DARROL

Old 07-24-2023 | 05:15 AM
jya

These are reliable cars, no interior photos and this one looks okay in the photos, but its done a few miles Darrol.
If the price is right, you can establish receipt evidence/ history and you at least have an S Type already so you know much of what to look out for there shouldn't be too many surprises.
All the usual checks of course and remember that if you cant do any of the work yourself you're going to be up for many thousands but could still be worth it if you're planning to keep over time.
Despite where values are at present, all the Jaguar 'R's' will be more collectable and more desirable over time.
Much of the below may have been done:
Paint, will probably be cracking (UV damage) look very closely. Same with any car of same vintage/darker colour.
Oil leaks are normal as all seals shrink/dry/harden over time; will need new timing case cover gaskets, oil filter area gaskets - associated area, cam cover gaskets.
Compression test a must.
Superchargers very long lived but rotor coating will likely need a recoat and breather intake system a comprehensive clean out.
Obvious valley hose and knock sensors.
Water pump/s state.
All lower suspension hydrabushes need to be inspected, likely need new ones all round.
Upper wishbones will need new bushes.
Sagging roof and UV bleached pillar and rear deck covers will need doing.
CATS struts likely leaking.
Transmission oil/pan/filter/fluid etc.
AC compressor oil leak check vital including new filter sack, oil level and refrigerant check crucial.
Two engine belts....

The list goes on, like any car of this vintage.
Others here can add from their experience.

Old 07-24-2023 | 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, as jya write above:
What he writes is pretty much my "to do list" for every Jaguar I bought - that and more.
Every Jaguar is several month worth of work - well because it does not do it for me to "just" restore it into a state, which passes rego (the technical check).
I fix all technical ailments AND I restore is as much as possible back to showroom condition.
Hence, I also got a little bit of a problem seeing, how anyone, who can't do everything by himself in regards of fixing the Jag, would possibly buy such a car, unless:
1. Money does not matter and you are happy do open the money-tab for your mechanic
or
2. You are extremely lucky to have bought a car, which can be driven as is for a while, and when the repairs start, you just sell it again.

I could add a few to be expected ailments, but I think, you got the gist...

And yes, it is a high mileage car - I just don't want to even imagine that it might have been in the hands of previous owners, who believed Jaguar's slogan "The ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is for life!"...

I am also looking for a STR (=4.2L R), I would fix it myself. But I am in Australia.