S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy a s-type

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010 | 06:54 AM

I am new here too although had a 4.0 V8 for three years and now have a 3.0 Sport. Facelift models from 2004 handle slightly better and have modest interior trim upgrades. Brake calipers can be sticky especially the rear ones. Sorting mine on the V8 gave me an extra 7mpg on average taking it up to about 25. Other than that a few minor electrical gremlins can creep in but all usually fixable. Radiator expansion tank can crack and the main air/con pipe that runs between the engine and the chassis leg can go after about three years. Its a silly little steel support bracket welded to it about half way along that corrodes. Awkward to replace but again, do-able. That's just my personal experience of more than three years S Type ownership to date. Alloy suspension parts can be dear but they do last.

Old 02-23-2010 | 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

My research in December 2008 told me to go with a 2005-or-newer model. The coil problems had been resolved, the transmission issues had been worked out, and the reliability figures were way up compared to the early S-Types. I went with the V6 3.0 for several reasons: it would be my wife's highway cruiser, she doesn't need a V8, and it would be easier and less expensive to maintain myself. Thus far my research has proven to be correct. There will always be quirks (several pointed out in the post above), but the key is to be a do-it-yourself type....

Old 02-23-2010 | 08:01 AM

I agree with Jon, 2005 and up (if possible). Through my research when buying my STR, that year forward had "most" of the bugs worked out, and I am saying "most" but there will always be issues like with any car. I am getting about 24-25MPG highway with my STR which is a supercharged V8. My #1 suggestion, if you have the means, get one as new as possible with a factory extended warranty, even if it still has the factory on it. I would say make that a priority, again, these will be more expensive, but if you have the means, it is the most logical way to go and will pay for itself in the long run. Repair costs are ridiculous unless there is a good independent shop near you. Even then, just the parts itself are expensive and will continue to rise seeing as the S is discontinued.

Oh and make sure it has the ZF tranny.

Are you looking at a 6 cyl or 8cyl?

Old 02-23-2010 | 09:28 AM
Veteran member

First of all, a few questions... Budget? Don't need your financial information, just a hint.... Are you looking at a sub 10,000 car or are you shopping in the 20,000 range. S Types ran for 8 model years in the US so the price range is pretty wide. Also, where are you located? US, Canada, UK, or somewhere else. If in the US, what region. One more question, how do you drive? Are you a moderate, stick to the speed limit driver, around town cruiser or, like me, a fast driver who drives a mix of city and highway?

Now a quick history lesson on the S Type. It was conceived and designed in conjunction with Jag's parent company, Ford. The platform was designed from the ground up to be shared with the Lincoln LS. The S itself was introduced in North America for the 2000 model year. It came with a 3.0 V6 that was sourced from Ford, made in Cleveland, Ohio but modified and tuned for the Jaguar and Lincoln application. The V8 was created by Jaguar and again was tuned for each application. It's displacement in the Jag was 4 liters and in the Lincoln it was 3.9. For the 2003 model year the S received many mechanical, suspension, and interior updates. The major ones were the introduction of the "bumped" V8 to 4.2 liters and the replacement of the Ford 5 speed auto for the ZF 6 speed box. They also changed the dash and center stack to match the other cars in the Jaguar line. This was also the first year for the supercharged S Type R. Then in 2005 the S type got an exterior refresh that included a new hood, grill, front bumper, new rear quarters, tail lamps, deck lid and rear bumper. There were no major mechanical modifications from 2003 to the last year of production in 2008.

I personally think that any of the mechanical update cars from 2003 and up are a good bet. Some minor tweaks occurred after 03, but those are also replacement item improvements, like the coils, that may already be replaced in a used 03 anyway.

Digest and let us know... One thing we (or just me???) like to do is clue a prospective owner to deals we find out there....

Oh yea... Select Edition certified cars are a very good bet.... I have not had to pay to replace anything but brakes and tires on mine. A very good extended warranty, but expect to pay a bit more....More on that latter depending on your response.

Last edited by JOsworth; 02-23-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:39 AM

I fully agree about going for the latest model year you can afford, the bugs do tend to get ironed out by the manuf. by then. Caution over judging a car on its mileage; over here in UK., "clocking" a used car is rife and very easy to do. There are a number of 'firms' actually advertizing the service on E-bay for around £40 or so, and amazingly, it's not illegal to alter the mileage reading in this way. But it most certainly IS illegal to attempt to sell it with altered mileage. Caveat emptor.
Have you thought about a diesel S-type? That V6 is acknowleged to be the best in the world for a car, even by Jeremy Clarkson of BBC's "Top Gear" fame who normally hates diesel engined cars!
Leedsman.

Old 02-24-2010 | 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
First of all, a few questions... Budget? Don't need your financial information, just a hint.... Are you looking at a sub 10,000 car or are you shopping in the 20,000 range. S Types ran for 8 model years in the US so the price range is pretty wide. Also, where are you located? US, Canada, UK, or somewhere else. If in the US, what region. One more question, how do you drive? Are you a moderate, stick to the speed limit driver, around town cruiser or, like me, a fast driver who drives a mix of city and highway?

Now a quick history lesson on the S Type. It was conceived and designed in conjunction with Jag's parent company, Ford. The platform was designed from the ground up to be shared with the Lincoln LS. The S itself was introduced in North America for the 2000 model year. It came with a 3.0 V6 that was sourced from Ford, made in Cleveland, Ohio but modified and tuned for the Jaguar and Lincoln application. The V8 was created by Jaguar and again was tuned for each application. It's displacement in the Jag was 4 liters and in the Lincoln it was 3.9. For the 2003 model year the S received many mechanical, suspension, and interior updates. The major ones were the introduction of the "bumped" V8 to 4.2 liters and the replacement of the Ford 5 speed auto for the ZF 6 speed box. They also changed the dash and center stack to match the other cars in the Jaguar line. This was also the first year for the supercharged S Type R. Then in 2005 the S type got an exterior refresh that included a new hood, grill, front bumper, new rear quarters, tail lamps, deck lid and rear bumper. There were no major mechanical modifications from 2003 to the last year of production in 2008.

I personally think that any of the mechanical update cars from 2003 and up are a good bet. Some minor tweaks occurred after 03, but those are also replacement item improvements, like the coils, that may already be replaced in a used 03 anyway.

Digest and let us know... One thing we (or just me???) like to do is clue a prospective owner to deals we find out there....

Oh yea... Select Edition certified cars are a very good bet.... I have not had to pay to replace anything but brakes and tires on mine. A very good extended warranty, but expect to pay a bit more....More on that latter depending on your response.
Concur with Jeff on the Select Edition cars. I got my 2005 with the Select Edition warranty rolled into the purchase price. Took about an hour of haggling though. You should be able to get a nice one for about $15K or so out the door provided you are willing to shop around a bit.

Mike

Old 02-24-2010 | 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by wlfire55
Hello,
I am new hear, and am looking to buy a s-type. Is there any year or anything that I should stay away from or to look out for?
Thanks
Hellooooooo, you out there??

Old 02-24-2010 | 11:08 AM

Maybe forgotten his password...

Old 02-24-2010 | 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

If the OP's in USA/Ca there are no diesel S-Types. Not sold there.

Old 02-25-2010 | 10:26 AM

I for one cannot stand someone posting, looking for help then never replies back. People put a lot of time and thought into giving advice and it pisses me off when the OP disappears.

Old 02-25-2010 | 04:38 PM

original poster, you should really do a search because the question you asked has been asked at least 5 times and have very good answers. you should spend a couple of hours reading through old posts and get yourself educated on the car, because Jaguar is not your typical car.