Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get a 4.2L N/A S-type

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a 4.2L N/A S-type

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a 4.2L N/A S-type. This model because it has a good amount of power without the added expense and complexity of the R (I'm saving that for if/when I want more power ). And looking post-2003, with <60k miles - I only do 7-8k miles/year so don't see the point in getting a high-mileage one. I'll probably do a decent amount of DIY repairs for anything not too complicated and maybe servicing too.

I've searched and found plenty of useful info on this forum, cheers - which leaves me with just a few questions, if anyone can help..

Are there any expensive services or parts that fail at e.g. 60k miles that make it better to go for a slightly higher mileage one with the service done than one just coming up to it?
Any funny noises etc that I should look out for? I've read that the car should be driven from cold and while warm for any gearbox oddities that might indicate a dying gearbox.
Things that should be checked and are fairly easy to check on a quick inspection in some guy's drive are always useful to know too!

Cheers for any advice.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

One thing is to try to get both keys as they're expensive and are dealer-only programming.

They're good cars, hard to find. By that age any of the bushes, shocks etc could need changing but that's true for any 9yr old car.

The big service is 100K when plugs etc need doing. Sheet is on here or the net (get JTIS).

Probably worth planning on autobox work (filter, oil etc) - not cheap but not horrific nowadays.

DIY oil changes etc if you can & find a good jag indy. Try UK forum for ideas.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
One thing is to try to get both keys as they're expensive and are dealer-only programming.

They're good cars, hard to find. By that age any of the bushes, shocks etc could need changing but that's true for any 9yr old car.

The big service is 100K when plugs etc need doing. Sheet is on here or the net (get JTIS).

Probably worth planning on autobox work (filter, oil etc) - not cheap but not horrific nowadays.

DIY oil changes etc if you can & find a good jag indy. Try UK forum for ideas.
Thanks for the tips. With a bit of luck I'll get a 2005 one with ~50k on the clock which should help for maintenance.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm know there are a few guys on this forum who are strongly against the pre 05's, but I'm not really sure why. I've done a lot of research on these cars and I know there were a few minor improvements on the 05 models, but most of the early model (99-02) complaints were fixed with the 03 model. I know the JD Powers ratings improved, but their credibility has been questionable for some time.

FWIW, I can say that my 03 has been mostly uneventful in the almost two years since I bought it. So far the only thing to crop up was the front brake dust shield coming loose. That was a strange one - never had that happen on any of my cars...and let's not forget the ever present xenon headlight issue - happily fixed with two .25 cent screws.

This is a spare car in my fleet, so it only sees a few thousand miles a year. If you do the same, make sure you change the oil at least once a year, despite the low mileage. It also helps if you're not afraid to turn a wrench, as this will save you a bundle. Coming from a former drag strip guy, the 4.2 is no Vette killer, but it holds its own at the stop light Grand Prix. Think of it more as a smooth engine that propels a fairly heavy car briskly, rather than a ***** out tire smoker.

Last edited by pastype; 08-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by pastype
I'm know there are a few guys on this forum who are strongly against the pre 05's, but I'm not really sure why. I've done a lot of research on these cars and I know there were a few minor improvements on the 05 models, but most of the early model (99-02) complaints were fixed with the 03 model. I know the JD Powers ratings improved, but their credibility has been questionable for some time.

FWIW, I can say that my 03 has been mostly uneventful in the almost two years since I bought it. So far the only thing to crop up was the front brake dust shield coming loose. That was a strange one - never had that happen on any of my cars...and let's not forget the ever present xenon headlight issue - happily fixed with two .25 cent screws.

This is a spare car in my fleet, so it only sees a few thousand miles a year. If you do the same, make sure you change the oil at least once a year, despite the low mileage. It also helps if you're not afraid to turn a wrench, as this will save you a bundle. Coming from a former drag strip guy, the 4.2 is no Vette killer, but it holds its own at the stop light Grand Prix. Think of it more as a smooth engine that propels a fairly heavy car briskly, rather than a ***** out tire smoker.
Thanks, that's reassuring if I do end up going for an '03 model! Regular maintenance is obviously expected. I've done it with all my cars, including a £450 banger, no reason I'd stop now!

I'm having some difficulty finding what different trim levels Jaguar offered from '03-~'06 - or rather, what equipment was standard at different trim levels. Does anyone know where I'd find any useful info about this? It would be nice to know if the base trim models would do me or if I'd want more!

Cheers again.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are looking to buy in the UK, I suggest that you do some searches and ask this question on the JaguarForum.co.uk - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum site, you may get more accurate answers regarding trim and prices

Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A great reference I use is AOL autos (I understand Edmunds is good too). While this would only apply to US cars, it will give you a decent idea of what was standard equipment and what was optional. Simply go to the website and list the model and year you wish to research. Everything from colors to options will be listed by year. There are some errors, but they are minor. This should give you a feel for each model and their equipment as it changed year to year.

Also, check out the stickered posts at the beginning of the stype forum. Many quirks these cars are known for and their remedies can be found there.

Last edited by pastype; 08-27-2012 at 06:07 AM.