S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into the S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

An 01 LS may well use a Ford PCM very like the original S-Types (known as PTEC, which I think is actually a rebadged previous type of Denso - maybe 16-bit or relatively old tech). I'd be doubtful that the LS moved to the Denso PCM but it may have.

If you drive it like you stole it, STR mpg is of course dire. Fun, though. Drive it long distance and it's good enough mpg as well as effortless cruising.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I get low 20's on the highway if I'm real careful. 27 mpg is just momentary BS. Around town it's low to mid teens. After a long highway drive with 22 mpg average (which is good for this car) you can drop down to an average of 17 mpg very quickly with just a bit of around town driving. We have a ton of competitive traffic here ... That's also in the winter here in NJ. It eats gas but then it also has 400Hp.

I read all the mileage claims on here before I bought mine and it didn't do nearly that well. There's nothing wrong with my car either.

I think you can expect at least a couple of mpg less than a LS.

But she go gooood!

Originally Posted by Matt Man
Oh that is good news! The lincoln will occasionally hold shifts during spirited straight line driving but tends to up shift in corners.

Just out of curiosity, what's the expected gas mileage for the STR? Does it still pull down low 20's on the highway and high teens in mixed driving? Mixed driving with the LS (fairly spirited) nets me ~19.5 mpg

Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I get low 20's on the highway if I'm real careful. 27 mpg is just momentary BS. Around town it's low to mid teens. After a long highway drive with 22 mpg average (which is good for this car) you can drop down to an average of 17 mpg very quickly with just a bit of around town driving. We have a ton of competitive traffic here ... That's also in the winter here in NJ. It eats gas but then it also has 400Hp.

I read all the mileage claims on here before I bought mine and it didn't do nearly that well. There's nothing wrong with my car either.

I think you can expect at least a couple of mpg less than a LS.

But she go gooood!

Check your tire pressure. Usually if I know I am going on a long trip, I will increase pressure by 5-7psi for sligthly less rolling resistance.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine are at spec levels. I'm not going to bump them. You think that's a good idea?

It rides firm enough as it is.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Mine are at spec levels. I'm not going to bump them. You think that's a good idea?

It rides firm enough as it is.
Never had an issue with it. As long as you don't exceed the max psi for the tire you are fine. You get more response out of tires with higher pressures, but you are right, the ride is more firm.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have a 2005 STR and also a 2003 LS. As you will find out both cars are better in the 2nd generation versions. On the LS the 2003 and up have VVT and a bit more power along with improved engineering and durability. They still have some problems you probably are aware of. Coils, DCCV's, Front sway bar bushings, window regulators and transmission roughness. Nothing really major. The first gen LS like you have require more work and generally have more problems. Specifically timing chain tensioner issues (especially at 100K miles and above) that were fixed for 2003.

For the STR, I would hold out for a 2005 and up. BUT there are number of very good deals on 2003 STR's on EBay. At least a half a dozen cars to choose from. Understand that to make this car work for you the DIY route is the only sane alternative. Parts are expensive and usually dealer only. When Ford upgraded the Jaguar and LS in 2003+ the cars became much different. So only a few parts swap.

As mentioned above not much modifications for the STR. The LSD would be nice but my car launches pretty straight and always leaves two strips of rubber. The STR's rear suspension is very good. Not a trace of wheel hop ever.

I still like the LS-it's my wife’s car. But as the miles roll up the difference in quality starts to show more and more. The interior materials in the Jaguar are just so much better. But the LS was $45K and the STR was $62K when new.