S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Looking For New Wheels

Im looking for some wheels for my 2005 S-type.. I wanna replace the ones I already got for some OEM jag 20 inch wheels.. any sugggestions on where to get the best price/selection or if anyone from houston texas on the forum has some they want to sell??...

Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

20"? Don't.
You'll have pathetically low profile tyres and nothing but expense and hassle with them.

(plus 20" look horrid)

Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm really happy with the 18s. I had 19s on my last car and much prefer the 18s. I think the ride quality is better with the 18s and the wheels and tires themselves are cheaper. I did look around for some replacement 18s and they are almost impossible to find. So I am having the stock wheels powdercoated for $50 each, they will look great and it's cheap!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member

Wheels with the right bolt pattern and offsets are awkward (almost impossible) to get in 20", too. 19" are less trouble and 18" fairly easy. All will be very expensive unless you get lucky on ebay.

Yes, tyres in 19" are a challenge and also very expensive. 20" even more so.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 AM

they do make the 20 inch OEM wheels for a reason.. and i never had any problem with low profile tires, i could go with 19 inch or 20 inch oem that would be fine.(my stock wheels are 17s but dont wanna mess with those in any way) I just dont want the 22 inch rims i got now anymore..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

You have 22"? What on earth are the tyre sizes (xxx/xxR22, what are the xxx)?

What OEM 20" wheels are there for the S-Type? Can you name even one?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 AM

the tires are 235/30r22 they fit like a glove.. and jaguar didnt make 20 inch oem for the s-type but they did for other jaguars, so ima grab those with the same bolt pattern & throw em on my s-type.. with the 20 inch wheels i can go with a 245/35r20 tire no problem..

Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

The 235/30R22 are 2" too big. That's dangerous. They're also too narrow.
245/35/20 are more than an inch too big. Why would you do that?
Wheels and tyres are a safety item. I would defend your right to put ypur life at risk but not to put lives of others at risk. Look after that issue first and go for bling next (if you must go for bling).

Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Factory tire size of 235/50/17 vs 245/35/20

The new size is .5 in diameter larger....And would "fit" and "work"

Anyone can check it here....

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Now I think the point the OP must remember that other Jaguar models that have the same bolt pattern / and optional 20" wheels have different suspension components. The closest relative that has a 20" option is the XF.. Yes the XF is a re-engineered S Type, but one of the major changes from S to XF is totally different suspension components...

I think there is a reason that the largest upsize factory option for the S is 19". As with any upsize project, there is a sweet spot that needs to be attained. After you hit the sweet spot, the law of diminishing returns takes over...

For the OP and anyone else who wants to increase performance via upsized tires and wheels..Here is a great read that shows this.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-09-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

The 235/50/17 are already bigger than most S-Type wheels by over 0.6" so another 0.5" means bigger by over an inch (I got all my numbers from a tyre calculator). How big is really OK.... why would anyone think tyres that rub are OK?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
The 235/50/17 are already bigger than most S-Type wheels by over 0.6" so another 0.5" means bigger by over an inch (I got all my numbers from a tyre calculator). How big is really OK.... why would anyone think tyres that rub are OK?
Hmmm.... The 235/50/17 size is the factory fitment on my 2005 with 17" wheels....245/45/17 is also an acceptable size as well.

What is listed as the factory size for 17" wheels in the UK? I wonder if they have a different spec than the US?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:04 PM

yes i understand all the info you're posting up here, but 20/22 inch wheels would do fine in most situations here where i live(no snow, no severe weather), Ive been riding on low pro tires on different vehicles and traveled thousands of miles on them with no problems(of courses it is more risky i know).. and i acknowledge what you are referring too on the fit sizes..

my s-type is a V8 4.2 (i don't ever intend to use it for performance practice, which it will do its job wen i hit the gas) but it is not a "R"

& usually i keep wheels and tires for a year or less so safety issues never really been a problem..

*don't always go by the book or wat the "pro's say"** it/they is/are not always correct*

thank you anyhow..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Why would anyone play fast & loose with a safety issue? The size, thus rubbing, weight etc make it irrelevant which model of S-Type.

The book & pros are not always right but they're right a lot more often than the amateur who's out on a limb plus it's the amateur messing with safety items that usually causes the worst outcomes.

Jeff - don't know what they fitted on 17" but the 245s are about the same size as all other S-Type tyres except the 235s (which are larger by about 0.6", i.e. not much).

Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Cream
yes i understand all the info you're posting up here, but 20/22 inch wheels would do fine in most situations here where i live(no snow, no severe weather), Ive been riding on low pro tires on different vehicles and traveled thousands of miles on them with no problems(of courses it is more risky i know).. and i acknowledge what you are referring too on the fit sizes..

my s-type is a V8 4.2 (i don't ever intend to use it for performance practice, which it will do its job wen i hit the gas) but it is not a "R"

& usually i keep wheels and tires for a year or less so safety issues never really been a problem..

*don't always go by the book or wat the "pro's say"** it/they is/are not always correct*

thank you anyhow..

Oh, my... I was trying to help, but....well...na

Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be able to talk me out of my 20s. I bought my 03 ST today, and I'm looking at my options. I'll post pics and specs tomorrow. They would have to bring enough money for me to get a set of rims and tires (18-19s) and then some.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I just gots to know dis

I've asked this a dozen times on a bunch of websites and I never get an answer.

What is the fascination with over sized wheels and the the rubber band like low profile tires? Is it like saying HEY I've got a bigger d*ck or something? You know, "if mys wheeels is dat big den you knows what else is"?

They usually look stupid and out of proportion with the rest of the cars styling unless it's been pimped-to-hell as well. The calipers end up looking a small set of you know what because there's now a foot of clearance between them and the rim. No one is really impressed by that ... You could put a set of huge calipers & rotors on there at the same time and at least it would be functional.

Now the spinning the wheel centers I do get. Because you never know when you're gonna need to grate some cheese at a stoplight ...

Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Apart from:
looking wrong
making the handling worse (reducing safety)
putting extra stress on suspension etc components (affecting safety?)
maybe rubbing, with risks of blow-outs (again, reducing safety)
needing more expensive tyres
probably having the wrong offsets (more reduced safety)
giving a harder ride
altering the speedo accuracy unless you're careful with profile etc
potentially leaving you uninsured (over here)

are there any other issues?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Apart from:
looking wrong
making the handling worse (reducing safety)
putting extra stress on suspension etc components (affecting safety?)
maybe rubbing, with risks of blow-outs (again, reducing safety)
needing more expensive tyres
probably having the wrong offsets (more reduced safety)
giving a harder ride
altering the speedo accuracy unless you're careful with profile etc
potentially leaving you uninsured (over here)

are there any other issues?
You nailed it.... That is exactly what happens...

Not that "upsizing" can't be done..It just needs to be done right...

After putting the 18's on the Honda Coupe, I had to explain repeatedly to co-workers why it wasn't riding on 20's..

Always the same answer... "It was done to sharpen handling, not look silly"... It did look cool with wheels that filled the wheel wells properly, but again, I did it to sharpen up the car... But even with being very careful with the specs, it still slowed the car down.. That is another point that people don't get...Just a little more unsprung weight kills the cars acceleration...Not that my Honda was a demon in a straight line..It was only a 4cyl.

Originally Posted by Staatsof
What is the fascination with over sized wheels and the the rubber band like low profile tires?
They usually look stupid and out of proportion with the rest of the cars styling unless it's been pimped-to-hell as well. .
Your whole post made me laugh....

Made me think back to when I was in HS and scratched my head when everyone put air shocks on the back of their car and big 'ol wheels sticking out in the back and teeny tiny donuts on the front...

Or taking paint and spraying every single part of the car body color..

My point... There will always be a "culture" that destroys cars in an effort to "look cool". On the other hand, there are people across all cultures that "do it right" with craftsmanship and care... Those I appreciate...

Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Some how I don't think I'm gonna get a thanks for that post ...

The following users liked this post:
revckd (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

haha - you just did!!

Quick Reply: Looking For New Wheels