S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase an R soon, should I stay away from HM cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011 | 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by qikcat
LOL yea sorry hacked the spelling. It's that exact car with the Arden Shocks/springs and flat black grill. I just got an email from the guy and pretty sure I am going to get it but he has two people looking at it this weekend. I can't get there untill mon/tue so I might miss it if someone pulls the trigger before me.
If you need me to look at it this town isnt big I could be there in under 5 min. LOL. If you do come up and get it let me know and we can meet up and maybe get a couple dual Quartz shots for the photobook then grab a bite. Yea I was trying to get the springs and maybe the exhaust from him. I could also take video of it if you wanted to get an idea if its worth you coming all the way up here to have something not be right with it.

The following users liked this post:
qikcat (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011 | 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
If you need me to look at it this town isnt big I could be there in under 5 min. LOL. If you do come up and get it let me know and we can meet up and maybe get a couple dual Quartz shots for the photobook then grab a bite. Yea I was trying to get the springs and maybe the exhaust from him. I could also take video of it if you wanted to get an idea if its worth you coming all the way up here to have something not be right with it.
Thanks I really appreciate the offer! I get a pretty good feel for the guy and short of any major undisclosed issue I am willing to pay the price we have discussed over the phone. Let me talk with him and see how flexible he is on scheduling.

I am pretty sure this is my car unless it gets sold out from under me. I will keep in touch when I hear back form him. If it goes down I would love to meet up, just depends on what time I meet him since I am guess its 5-51/2 hour trip each way.

Old 04-28-2011 | 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

I only have stuff going on on Tues but would be done by 3 so I'm pretty free when you here something just let me know.

Old 04-28-2011 | 03:00 PM

Cool stuff! Vance thanks for being such a helpful guy!

Old 04-28-2011 | 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Here's one that just came on the market, may be a bit far to travel though. Pasadena Calif.
Disclaimer..this is the dealer where I got mine. Their prices tend to be a bit high, but can come down. It's not for me, (personal preference, I don't like black interiors).

2008 Jaguar S-Type R, $34,995 - Cars.com

Old 04-28-2011 | 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Absolutely! I am so glad there is a good forum for this car. Its one of the first things I look for LOL!

Old 04-28-2011 | 03:52 PM

Absolutely! I am so glad there is a good forum for this car. Its one of the first things I look for LOL!
Agreed, this is a small community so there isn't much drama and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.

Old 04-28-2011 | 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

No Problem. I just need to make friends. Sucks moving somewhere where you know no one. I'm make one one day. LOL. So I try to find stuff to keep me busy. Helping seems to work. I see you saw my facebook post about refreshing and finally made it on the board today.

Originally Posted by quikcat
I hear you I do the same exact thing. Which is probably why I dont have a Mercedes instead of my STR right now.

Agreed, this is a small community so there isn't much drama and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.
Couldnt agree with you more.

Old 04-28-2011 | 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Here's one that just came on the market, may be a bit far to travel though. Pasadena Calif.
Disclaimer..this is the dealer where I got mine. Their prices tend to be a bit high, but can come down. It's not for me, (personal preference, I don't like black interiors).

2008 Jaguar S-Type R, $34,995 - Cars.com

That is a really nice STR. I dont think I've ever seen chrome Barcelonas. They look very nice. You're right the price is a high but it definitly is a head turner. That thing would look mean with the window trim black and the mirror caps and trunk trim body color.

Old 04-28-2011 | 04:45 PM

I hear you I do the same exact thing. Which is probably why I dont have a Mercedes instead of my STR right now.
LOL, hey I came from a benz . I have had a C55 two E55s and a CLS63 last.... Yea I agree the benz forums are pretty lacking LOL!

Old 04-28-2011 | 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, hey I came from a benz . I have had a C55 two E55s and a CLS63 last.... Yea I agree the benz forums are pretty lacking LOL!
Yea I wanted an E55. I went to there boards and was asking things to look for on a higher mileage so it would be within my budget since I was about to be getting out of the military I needed it to be under 25k. So I knew it would have to have higher mileage. I wrench on my own car no matter what it is just because its cheaper and I like to learn. When I was on the boards everyone seemed to be really rude. I could understand telling me to use search (which I did by the way) they instead told me not even buy one because I was looking for one within a specific budget and because of that budget I wouldn't be able to afford to keep up the maintanence and would let the car fall apart and treat it bad. I was like are you guys serious. Oh well found this board and decided on the STR after deciding between the XJR and STR and feel I made the right choice and found the perfect boards. Just seemed like the Benz guys aren't into the DIY thing like people here are.
I still really like the E55's and after I finish my degree still want to buy one but it will not replace the STR it will just be an additional car. Heck by the time I finish my degree the STR will be paid off and the E55's will be dirt cheap with the way cars like these are depreciating. I'm a huge sport sedan fan so I definitly have a love for all those AMG's youve had and the XJR's, STR's, and the M5's.

Old 04-28-2011 | 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

I just need to make friends.
Make kids!!!!!!

Friends are over rated (most of the time)!!!

Old 04-28-2011 | 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Make kids!!!!!!

Friends are over rated (most of the time)!!!
I have a 9 year old step-son. No more till I have a degree and start working again. Plus you cant carry on an adult conversation with kids. Also if you get tired of a friend you can just not hang out with them that day. Kids are a little harder to get away from, legally that is. LOL. But hell making them is fun, or at least practicing to make them.

Old 04-28-2011 | 06:00 PM

Then I guess you ended up with the wrong car.. haha
check this out:
W211 AMG - MBWorld.org Forums
What they are doing is so far ahead of the STR's, and a much more active forum.

*just saw you already mentioned reading, nevermind

Last edited by DrJsl22; 04-28-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2011 | 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DrJsl22
check this out:

I agree there is alot of stuff that has been developed for the AMG's compared to the Jaguars. Thats the fun we can be innovators. LOL. But I was refering in terms of the people of the boards. The Mercedes boards just never felt welcoming always seems to be a negative comment about everything that is posted. This board was more welcoming and probably helped sway my decision towards the STR. That and the fact that I found a really nice STR I wasn't gonna have to fly to pick up.

Old 04-28-2011 | 06:16 PM

check this out:

They have got a lot better. I still go there sometime since I spent so long there and it was dead for a long time. I was among the first guys to mod the E55 when EVO and Renntech was the only game in town and may have been the first on the 63 motors. Now that the cars are in 20K range you have a lot more action there then when they were 110K new.

I came there from the supras/supraforums with a few other guys over there and was use to a 1200hp street car.
Vance thinks he was ridiculed you should see how they use to act when you show to a meet with drag radials and a NOS bottle in the trunk LOL. Hey just because I grew up doesn't mean I have to act like a grownup

Old 04-29-2011 | 12:52 AM

qikcat, if you don't mind me asking, why are you going to an str from an e55?

Old 04-29-2011 | 09:50 AM

qikcat, if you don't mind me asking, why are you going to an str from an e55?
I am actually going from a Renntech CLS63 that was my last one about a year ago had three E55s before that.
The reason is financial. The economy almost wiped me out over the last three years. I have just started to recover over the last year.

I would have picked the 55 over the STR honestly but I vowed to never owe anyone anything again ever in my life. I can pay cash for an STR and play with modding it that made the decision.
Don't get me wrong I love the Jag, I remember drooling all over the Rs when they were first reveled at the auto show so it's not that I am settling. Just it makes dollar and sense for me and selling that 63 and getting rid of a 1200$ a month payment was a feeling I haven't forgot.

Bet the farm I will have one of the new 63 twin turbos at some point, just trying to rebuild.

BTW the owner and I agreed on terms and that Quartz car in NC will be mine on Tuesday

Last edited by qikcat; 04-29-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2011 | 01:42 PM

I am actually going from a Renntech CLS63 that was my last one about a year ago had three E55s before that.
The reason is financial. The economy almost wiped me out over the last three years. I have just started to recover over the last year.

I would have picked the 55 over the STR honestly but I vowed to never owe anyone anything again ever in my life. I can pay cash for an STR and play with modding it that made the decision.
Don't get me wrong I love the Jag, I remember drooling all over the Rs when they were first reveled at the auto show so it's not that I am settling. Just it makes dollar and sense for me and selling that 63 and getting rid of a 1200$ a month payment was a feeling I haven't forgot.

Bet the farm I will have one of the new 63 twin turbos at some point, just trying to rebuild.

BTW the owner and I agreed on terms and that Quartz car in NC will be mine on Tuesday

Congrats on the STR! I had a 370Z that I sold to pay cash for my STR. It's not as new, or prisitine as the Z, bu you're right having a ZERO car payment every month is a good feeling. Post pics when she arrives.