Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at an S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking at an S-Type R

Howdy all!
I'm looking at upgrading from my '02 X-type to an '05 S-Type R. I saw one today that I can't quit thinking about.

So: edumacate me!!
What do I want to look for in the car? it's got 80K miles, but looks very clean from a drive-by.
Is there only the one drivetrain package? I mean, are they all supercharged? I know this one has the J-gate.
What's the truth behind the claims that it's a "Mustang Cobra underneath" ?

What are the common killers for this car?

And what's a very clean, '05 with 80K worth?

thanks!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think the S-Type R shares even one part with a Cobra.. Haha I wish it did. For what to look for it will take me 15 minutes to type again, so you have to search. They are all supercharged and the most common killer of this car (although rare) would be the transmission taking a sh*t.. ($8k repair)

I would say an 05' with 80k miles is worth around $14-18k in excellent condition.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks WhiteSTR!
I did a little browsing around last night, and searching, and I think I have an idea of what I'm looking for now. Your comments are very helpful.

What's the after-market like, as far as performance goods? Better than for the X-Type?
Anybody here racing one? Or even some track days?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,562 Likes on 3,966 Posts

google is your friend LOL - but try:
Mina
Arden
Racing Green

plus various up-market brakes, wheels, tires etc (which "may" be "better")

Be aware that some "enhancements" will actually reduce power or otherwise interfere with the PCM's closed loop behaviour.

Be sure to notify your insurance company of any changes you make. They may refuse any claim if you haven't told them beforehand.

Frankly, I'd leave it alone (other than brakes/tires if you wish). The STR is quick and handles well. Try an RS6, R8 or the like if you want something arguably better.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks V8!
Okay, so last question for a moment:
Since I live smack-dab in the middle of the Rocky Mountians.... any of y'all ever drive one of these in the snow?
I mean, quite obviously I'll miss the X-Type's AWD.... but how bad is it really? Any worse than say an F-body? or a mustang, for instance?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

From what I've read from other posters, STRs don't especially like snow. However, because of the DSC and traction control, they are probably than a Mustang. Because of the power, you do have to be careful. I have a 3.0 V6 and it was pretty good in snow and ice.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah a rear wheel driver car in the snow is only as good as the driver behind the wheel.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the Str is crappy in the snow, I live in Nj and going up hills sucks, but most rearwheel drive cars suck in the snow unless you have a good weight distribution or drive on straight roads, the traction control kicks in and becomes annoying.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

especially with meaty summer ONLY tires........hard as a god damn rock in the cold and a big thumbs down in the snow. For some reason though, the DSC works wonders when you slide, however getting up the smallest hill is knuckle-whitening

Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Well, I went and drove the car yesterday. Here's my gut:
1) the car is black. I really hate black.
2) The 400HP is nice. Makes all the right noises, and feels really good.
3) It's black. I don't like black.
4) the interior is just frankly not as nice as my X-type. The leather is not as soft and supple. The wood is grey, and doesn't have the luster that the X's has. The door panels are not finished to the same level of quality. The doors seem cheesey and light when they close. The sound system is not as good. All of this is a surprise to me, as I had considered the X to be the "entry-level Jaguar".
5) Did I mention it's black?

So in the end, I finally told myself that If I have to convince myself that it's a car I like, then it's probably not the right car.

Maybe if it were green?

Last edited by jag-ooo-r; 08-13-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Well jag-ooo, there's always silver ones (and white I think) out there, and different wood veneer colors to choose from. I wouldn't get black exterior, nor the charcoal seat color either, no matter how fast the thing was. Keep looking.Try finding an '04, see if they 05 changed a great deal from appointment aspect.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jag-ooo-r
Well, I went and drove the car yesterday. Here's my gut:
1) the car is black. I really hate black.
2) The 400HP is nice. Makes all the right noises, and feels really good.
3) It's black. I don't like black.
4) the interior is just frankly not as nice as my X-type. The leather is not as soft and supple. The wood is grey, and doesn't have the luster that the X's has. The door panels are not finished to the same level of quality. The doors seem cheesey and light when they close. The sound system is not as good. All of this is a surprise to me, as I had considered the X to be the "entry-level Jaguar".
5) Did I mention it's black?

So in the end, I finally told myself that If I have to convince myself that it's a car I like, then it's probably not the right car.

Maybe if it were green?
Your talking nonsense with the green...You dont like black because you dont know how to take care of it. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING better looking than a black car so shiny that it looks wet. Granted it is a full time job keeping it clean, but it looks nasty, especially on an STR with tinted windows. The dark tinted wood I believe is the only wood available except newer ones with aluminum.

Did I mention that black is pretty damn sexy...

Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Your talking nonsense with the green...You dont like black because you dont know how to take care of it. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING better looking than a black car so shiny that it looks wet. Granted it is a full time job keeping it clean, but it looks nasty, especially on an STR with tinted windows. The dark tinted wood I believe is the only wood available except newer ones with aluminum.

Did I mention that black is pretty damn sexy...
Once you've had black you'll never look back.
The STR Rules the Jag world. IMO anyway..lol

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
Once you've had black you'll never look back.
The STR Rules the Jag world. IMO anyway..lol
THANK YOU...anyone can have your "standard" silver, and yes it may look good even when dirty....BUT will NEVER look as good as a wet black JAG

Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,562 Likes on 3,966 Posts

Black... green... silver... whatever. Just personal choice. I can't see any point in banging on about it.

I've only driven 2 STRs. My experience of door solidity, leather etc don't match the ones complained about. I was unimpressed with the X-Type. Obviously we just don't see the world the same! (No worries about that, though.)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,402 Likes on 2,874 Posts

I've driven X-Types as well and I also believe that the S-Type is a better vehicle from a build-quality and luxury cruiser standpoint. That's why I bought one. I would not have purchased an X-Type....

I'll chime in about black exteriors, too. I've owned one black vehicle in my life and I never want to have to care for one again. Yes, they're gorgeous when they're clean, but they only stay clean for a day or two. And talk about hot interiors in the summertime - man, they'll burn you up. So you guys enjoy your black exteriors. I'll stick with white or grey, thank you....

Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 AM

I've owned far too many black cars in my day. I won't go back. I hate that it's terrible to maintain, and I hate the summer heat.... but what I hate MOST is that everybody wants it. I don't like being a "metoo".

I was just as surprised as you folks about the dissapointment on the comparison of the build-quality and comfort of the car, as compared to my X. And I'll keep an open mind if I find a non-black one to go drive.
Honestly; none of the other issues would've been a deal-breaker if the car weren't black (but then again, black wouldn't have been a deal-breaker either, if the rest of those issues hadn't been present...)

I like the STR.... but frankly: only 'cuz of the motor.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM

In all seriousness.....had a black Boxster S, said never again, then a black FX45, said never again, now I have a black STR sitting in my driveway. There must be a couple reasons for this: 1) I like to punish myself, 2) I have a weakness for the damn color

I will admit, I do like white on most highend vehicles, or Dove (sorry Jon). Quick Spray detailer, California Car Duster and microfiber cloths have become my bestfriend. Most people would be sick to know how much money I spend on these products.

In regards to the build quality, I am pretty comfy in those seats, the leather is better than both the Porsche and Infiniti. I dont have any creaks or bangs going over bumps, and the doors are solid. Once you drive an STR, then go into a domestic vehicle, you appreciate the little things in the interior.

My one wish: That the "R" on the seats were embroidered.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I've driven X-Types as well and I also believe that the S-Type is a better vehicle from a build-quality and luxury cruiser standpoint. That's why I bought one. I would not have purchased an X-Type....

I'll chime in about black exteriors, too. I've owned one black vehicle in my life and I never want to have to care for one again. Yes, they're gorgeous when they're clean, but they only stay clean for a day or two. And talk about hot interiors in the summertime - man, they'll burn you up. So you guys enjoy your black exteriors. I'll stick with white or grey, thank you....
The exterior has less to do with the heat inside the car than the interior.
I make sure when I buy a black vehicle that the interior is a light color,would never have a black interior in Texas.in Maine yes,Texas no.
I know color has heat absorbtion and leather can burn,keep the sunshade handy at all times.I have a remote stater in my expedition and it is great to pre cool or warm the vehicle even with a 1 minute pre start before entering. I would love one in the STR but afraid about messing with electrical components.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Variety is the spice of life. I generally prefer Blue, Red or Green for Jaguars. When I was shopping for my S-Type, I told the salesman "anything but Black, Silver or White". I wish I had a picture of his face. I finally got a Zircon Blue one.

Mike

Quick Reply: looking at an S-Type R