Sponsored by:

Looking for Wireless OBD II Scanner for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,033 Likes on 1,436 Posts
Default Looking for Wireless OBD II Scanner for iPhone

Greetings All,

I'm looking to upgrade from a basic handheld code reader to a wireless scanner using my iPhone 4 for the display. I've seen a few options out there, but wanted to hear from others about what has worked for them. I've searched through the archives and found some info, but since some devices like this can become obsolete so quickly, I wanted to get the latest advice on what is currently out there.

What I'm looking for is a transmitter device that plugs into the OBD port, and an app on my iPhone (dash-mounted) to receive and display the information. My head is spinning after trying to sort it all out, so I thought I'd throw myself at the mercy of the forum.

My questions:

1) Is a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection better for the intended usage? I've seen both options and am wondering if one has any major advantage over the other, such as interference potential or data transfer speed.

2) Does anybody offer an integrated package of the hardware and software? For example, with ELM hardware, it looks like I'm on my own to find a corresponding app. On one hand, I think a dedicated app might work better, but maybe I'd be better off not being locked into only one app from the hardware manufacturer.

3) What about clearance for my feet? Some of the transmitters look like they'd hang down at least a couple of inches from the OBD port. With my size 13 feet and general clumsy nature, I wonder if I'd be accidentally hitting the transmitter.

4) I'd like it to be able to speak Jaguar and save scanner data. In other words, I don't want just a basic code reader.

I don't mean to launch some huge discussion, mostly just wanted to hear, "I bought xxx and like it because yyy" or "I bought abc and it worked okay for a while but it caused my car to catch fire and my wife to run off with another man, so I'd be hesitant to recommend it."

If I've posted this in the wrong forum, moderators please feel free to move it. The intended vehicle is an '02 S-type, but naturally I would like it to work with any OBD II vehicle.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

You'll have to go with Wifi, most obd bluetooth readers don't work with the iPhone (Google it to find why).

Most apps should work with the elm.

The OBD port is near you knee so you might knock it with your knee not your feet.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

To find what others did for iPhone see sticky in General Tech. I don't know if any iPhone user posted, depends how public-minded they are.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was suggested this one WiFi ELM327 Wireless OBD2 OBDII Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool for iPhone iPad | eBay and I must say it's the best $22 I have spent..Lets say it saved me quite a few thousand LOL...

I believe you can't use Bluetooth OBDII devices on iPhones for some reason as I've read somewhere...but you can use WiFi which is still good !

I personally haven't seen one with software...I purchased an app called DashCommand for $9.99...GREAT app has all kinds of features Scan tool, Gauges, & MORE ! (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...321293183?mt=8)

I'm also a size 13 (US) 6'3" tall and I sometimes drive around with it connected and you'll notice it if you like to move your leg around a lot...but it really doesn't bother me.

About saving data I really can't tell you if you can or cannot as I haven't looked for that feature...screen shot ehh ?

Good luck !

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
To find what others did for iPhone see sticky in General Tech. I don't know if any iPhone user posted, depends how public-minded they are.

Uff da! I missed that thread when searching. Must have set my search parameters incorrectly. Sorry about that.

Interesting stuff about the Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth with an iPhone. A bit frustrating, as having to use Wi-Fi would automatically kick off the 3G connection, so maps and other location-based services could be affected while driving. I'd like to leave the transmitter connected at all times, as I'm too lazy to unplug it when not in use. That's why I'm more partial to a Bluetooth connection, as I never use that function any way. (I think Bluetooth headsets should only be available to those with a legitimate, time-sensitive need, such as bomb squad supervisors or organ transplant surgeons)

Also, I found the story of the ELM327 to be quite interesting. Per their website, Elm Electronics only make the chip, not the finished product. They don't even tell you where you can buy a complete unit, only that various companies sell them online. Counterfeiting is rampant, with most on eBay and Amazon being overseas knock-offs with widely varying quality. Most of the online product documentation was VERY sketchy at best, and was obviously written by someone with a poor grasp of English. I'm not opposed to gambling $20 on a knock-off (I wrestle with my conscience on a daily basis as part of my exercise program) but would much prefer a Bluetooth connection over Wi-Fi, ruling out the ELM327 for an iPhone.

I did a little more digging and found GoPoint offers a Bluetooth unit specifically designed for the iPhone and even approved by Apple. It's a bit more, around $120, but it seems to be a far more complete package overall, with free upgrades, actual product support, etc. I'll have to do some more research, but I think I found what I wanted.

Thanks to all who offered help, and sorry for replicating an existing thread.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch - you could buy a BT elm327 and an Android tablet for that! And have change.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.

As for counterfeit elms, the counterfeits have issues working on the early pre facelift cars (I belive it has something to do with the pcm having a strange address that the counterfeits can't read) later cars don't seem to have a problem using the counterfeits.

I'd buy a bluetooth elm and a cheap android phone/tablet

Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by police666
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd buy a bluetooth elm and a cheap android phone/tablet
Agreed, at face value my quest does look rather silly. The kicker is I'm already committed to the iPhone path. I've got a dash-mounted iPhone charging/playing dock for all my music and mobile map needs, etc. I want to be able to display the scanner data on what I've got. I don't want to rig up a second dash mount for a droid or fumble with one stored in the glove box.

I have visions of my car suddenly acting up while in motion, and with a few quick taps on the iPhone screen, I'd be capturing data right away. The rest of you would be so jealous, and the term "Pull a Karl" would enter forum lexicon as the process of effortlessly capturing troubleshooting data. A guy can dream, right?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

In that case you might be interested in this It's only $60

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Video overview http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragaug...Commercial.wmv

You could do a permanent install, maybe where the ashtray is, I was going to do it but never got round to it

Last edited by police666; 02-12-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone can record data all the time without having to put in those taps just when something happens. But is it useful?

Android tablet + BT elm327 is enough. If you really want more, JLR Mongoose.

You can drown in data, which of the hundreds of values do you want to record??? Which module(s)?

Unless you've a really tough problem I suggest this is pointless.

If you want to see if you're car's near to throwing codes or has some lurking problems, start by eyeballing live data at idle and spend time thinking. It's not glamorous, doesn't get you a forum name, but it can be useful. It's very boring...

Last edited by JagV8; 02-12-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought this
bluetooth version bluetooth version
only to find out later that it's impossible to get it to work with iPhone, as most bluetooth scanners are. But then I couldn't even get the thing to work with my laptop and their own software either, complete garbage and waste of money. If you want to use your iPhone, forget bluetooth!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

I've got one that looks like that and it works fine. Get a replacement or refund.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

The saga continues... I realized the GoPoint version was kinda spendy, but had already made up my mind it was worth it due to features it had, especially the certification from Apple that it would work via Bluetooth with my iPhone.

Lo and behold, it was not currently available on Amazon. Hmm, that's odd, so I went to the manufacturer's website. It showed in stock, but nowhere could I find the means to actually complete a sale from the "Buy Now" button. Had others look, and it wasn't just me. Finally emailed them and two days later I hear back that the company has been sold and all sales have been suspended until the transaction is complete. Sure would have been nice if that was posted on their website! Wasted several days thanks to them.

So back to the drawing board, looking for a unit certified to work with an iPhone via Bluetooth. I finally found this one, for much less:

IOBD2 MFI Bluetooth (OBD2/EOBD2) Obd2 Scanner for IOS and Android:Amazon:Automotive

Still more spendy than a generic ELM327 unit, but I think it will be worth it. No idea if it will only work with their app, as opposed to third party apps like Dash Command, etc. I'll find out when it gets here. Three weeks estimated on shipping, so it's probably coming from overseas. You can purchase directly from the manufacturer's website, but I preferred the protection of going through Amazon (same price). Once it arrives, I'll post details in the proper sticky thread, but wanted to share the foibles of the whole situation in the meantime.

Manufacturer's website:

iOBD2 XTOOL Scanner-iPhone OBD2

If ordering for yourself, choose carefully. They offer a wifi version for iPhone only, a Bluetooth version for Android only, and a Bluetooth version for iPhone AND Android. I ordered the last one

Last edited by kr98664; 02-16-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I forgot to say my BT works great but I'm not using an iPhone as I haven't got one.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Apple has strange bluetooth implementation, very few bluetooth devices work with Apple, the bluetooth elm doesn't. The WiFi version does.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a bluetooth ELM reader with my (jailbroken) iPhone.

I use roqyODB (with dashcommand) to connect to the bluetooth ELM reader that creates a connection on port 127.0.0.1:3500.

Works very well although I now want to upgrade my reader to one that can read the Jaguar specific codes.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

What you have probably reads them - but onlyfrom the PCM.

I don't think there's any tablet app that does what you want. Mongoose JLR is perhaps the best option.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I went that route and had very poor results. Eventually the Apple updates erased the jail break.

If you insist upon using Apple buy everything from an approved Apple vendor.

Looks like I'm going to be ditching my Eln327 el cheapo for a decent one. Just too many issues with compatibility for the one I got, others may vary.

Originally Posted by Paradroid
I use a bluetooth ELM reader with my (jailbroken) iPhone.

I use roqyODB (with dashcommand) to connect to the bluetooth ELM reader that creates a connection on port 127.0.0.1:3500.

Works very well although I now want to upgrade my reader to one that can read the Jaguar specific codes.

Last edited by Staatsof; 04-10-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I just ordered this one from Amazon - lets see if it works...as I use mac, pc win 8.1 and adroidness

ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth

Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Engine Link App on my iPhone 4s and LELink scanner to monitor car live data. No complains.
LELink is a bluetooth low energy scanner.

Quick Reply: Looking for Wireless OBD II Scanner for iPhone