Looking for Wireless OBD II Scanner for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ELM327 Scanner

Originally Posted by kr98664
Greetings All,

I'm looking to upgrade from a basic handheld code reader to a wireless scanner using my iPhone 4 for the display. I've seen a few options out there, but wanted to hear from others about what has worked for them. I've searched through the archives and found some info, but since some devices like this can become obsolete so quickly, I wanted to get the latest advice on what is currently out there.

What I'm looking for is a transmitter device that plugs into the OBD port, and an app on my iPhone (dash-mounted) to receive and display the information. My head is spinning after trying to sort it all out, so I thought I'd throw myself at the mercy of the forum.

My questions:

1) Is a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection better for the intended usage? I've seen both options and am wondering if one has any major advantage over the other, such as interference potential or data transfer speed.

2) Does anybody offer an integrated package of the hardware and software? For example, with ELM hardware, it looks like I'm on my own to find a corresponding app. On one hand, I think a dedicated app might work better, but maybe I'd be better off not being locked into only one app from the hardware manufacturer.

3) What about clearance for my feet? Some of the transmitters look like they'd hang down at least a couple of inches from the OBD port. With my size 13 feet and general clumsy nature, I wonder if I'd be accidentally hitting the transmitter.

4) I'd like it to be able to speak Jaguar and save scanner data. In other words, I don't want just a basic code reader.

I don't mean to launch some huge discussion, mostly just wanted to hear, "I bought xxx and like it because yyy" or "I bought abc and it worked okay for a while but it caused my car to catch fire and my wife to run off with another man, so I'd be hesitant to recommend it."

If I've posted this in the wrong forum, moderators please feel free to move it. The intended vehicle is an '02 S-type, but naturally I would like it to work with any OBD II vehicle.

ELM327 Scanner has many different kinds, ELM327 Bluetooth/Wifi OBD2 Code Scanner is handle scan tool which can work with iPhone,iPad,Android.

ELM327 support reading and clearing fault codes,display current sensor data including Engine RPM,Fuel System Status,Vehicle speed and so on. ELM327 also has USB version.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Even so, the ELM is limited by the software, which does very little. No comparison at all with such as Mongoose or AE.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Up until i found this i was going to fit real gauges to my 1999 XKR, but not it look slike i will save my self some work and money!!

After a lot of looking and reading and frustration not being able to find a BT ODB that works with an Iphone available from a UK supplier i have had to resort to ordering from the USA and getting friends in the USA to ship on to the UK when they get it.

Amazon.com: LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad: Automotive Amazon.com: LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad: Automotive

Ill let you know how it goes..

Old 09-12-2015, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There is a WiFi elm327 for the iPhone but it costs a bit more.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:58 PM

I did looks at and spent some time deliberating Wifi or BT. Ive had some issues in the past with the battery going flat over sometimes a week. It turned out to be a fault withe the battery but once bitten etc so wanted a low power option hence BT. You have to use the iphone app engine link, but it has most of the things the other wifi apps offer except 1/4 mile times and 0-60 but i guess you only every use that once in a while or after you have ad engine work finished....

Old 09-13-2015, 04:11 AM

After sending an email to the help line they have advised that there is a 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer etc, and I did eventually find it. The support was excellent got a response in hours, not days like outer company's. So all good. Now I just need to wait for the plug.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at Torque Pro and a ELM 327 with a Andriod, cheap and works for me

Old 01-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,033 Likes on 1,436 Posts
Default Big Problem After Update

Originally Posted by kr98664

So back to the drawing board, looking for a unit certified to work with an iPhone via Bluetooth. I finally found this one, for much less:

IOBD2 MFI Bluetooth (OBD2/EOBD2) Obd2 Scanner for IOS and Android:Amazon:Automotive

Manufacturer's website:

iOBD2 XTOOL Scanner-iPhone OBD2
Well, it WAS working great, for about two years. I would have highly recommended it to anybody.

Until...

The app on my iPhone did an auto update. Not usually a problem, but this time all the text in the app turned to Chinese. I tried every button I could click, but couldn't find any option to set it back to English.

Looking online, other users report the same problem. Supposedly a fix is in work, but who knows how long that might be. I'll update once this (hopefully) gets fixed. In the meantime, don't order one. It's a shame, too, as it had been working so well.