S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud beeping from engine compartment, right side.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loud beeping from engine compartment, right side.

Hello.

I have googled this but all I can find is descriptions that don't match what's happening to my car.

At random times (it's happened while driving, but usually when parked and engine off, such as overnight) there will be a LOUD beeping from the right area in the engine compartment (near where the wiper fluid refil pipe is)

Pressing the buttons on the keyfob doesn't work. Starting the engine doesn't work.

It goes off if the car alarm is not armed. (I stopped arming it years ago when this first started happening. Not arming the car was the solution then, but now it happens even if the car is not armed)

It started a month or so ago (right after I got it back from the mechanic garage - Seems to be a theme for this car - it comes back from EVERY garage visit with a brand new problem)

It usually stops of its own accord (after a few minutes)

One time it seemed to stop when I pressed the emergency triangle button on the dash, but that could have been a coincidence (i.e. the beeping was about to stop anyway)

Sometimes it's constant (like in the video) Other times, it beeps for a period, stops, beeps for a period, stops (about ten seconds, but I haven't had a chance to time it)

I have to leave the battery unplugged when not using the car, to guarantee that this won't go off.

I will take it to a mechanic, but I wanted to ask here in case anyone had any experience with this problem. Or knows what the car is trying to tell me...

... or knows of a way to disable it permanently?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

There's a backup small battery in the car alarm that may have failed.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
There's a backup small battery in the car alarm that may have failed.
I've heard about that, but what I read was that can go off even if the main battery is disconnected. If I disconnect my main battery it never goes off.

Also, my car is never left with the alarm armed, so wouldn't that only go off if the main alarm is armed?

Thirdly, is there a way to disconnect/disable it? I'm surprised it's not mentioned in the handbook.

I will take it to the mechanics if all else fails.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

I don't know.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

+1 on car alarm backup battery - although these alarm installations can vary widely between markets and this is stated in owners manual - eg home market (UK) vs Europe vs Can/US vs ROW.

What is obvious is that this beeping is produced by an electric sounder - and is now reliant on your main battery for its beeping! Suggest you use stethoscope or vibration sensor to isolate the offending emitter - identify wiring at device - then consult back to wiring diagrams available here on forum.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 10-14-2016, 05:39 PM

Judging by how loud it is: I think using a stethoscope equals guaranteed deafness!

I didn't know there were wiring diagrams available on the forum. Thanks. Can you point me in the right direction? I've had a look around but I can't find them.

Are there more general tech diagrams? (like the equivalent of a haynes manual)

Old 10-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default First things first

Originally Posted by lobley
I didn't know there were wiring diagrams available on the forum. Thanks. Can you point me in the right direction? I've had a look around but I can't find them. Are there more general tech diagrams? (like the equivalent of a haynes manual)?
Firstly, some housekeeping . . . I note that you have not yet visited the New Members section and posted an introduction. We don't SLAP here because all of us were newbies at some stage, but doing so would have brought you not only a wider welcome . . . it would have pointed you also to the vast resources embedded here on JF.

So, [lobley] . . . let me be first to welcome you . . . GREETINGS!

Secondly, all those resources you wish you had - and bootloads you don't yet know about? At the top of the S-Type forum which you have found, lie "The Sticky's" . . . threads holding links to, or downloads of, huge resources for the new Jaguar owner. If in doubt, go straight to JagV8's on Acronyms . . . then explore the "HOW TO . . ." Absolutely, everything is there.

I was tempted to link you direct to the Owners Manual, Workshop Service Manuals and Wiring Diagrams for your vehicle, but for two things . . . you need to learn how to search the forum for the info specific to your car . . . and further, I can only guess at what MY and variant you have. Supplying you with the wrong wiring diagram could be disastrous!

So, to help those who attempt to help you . . . I suggest you click via [User CP] on main menu bar and include year/engine/model of your car in [Edit Signature] to ensure help is accurate. While there, you can also edit your avatar with a pic etc. Oh . . . and if all this helps, a friendly click on the "Thanks" button is always appreciated.

Cheers

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-15-2016)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Thats the passive alarm