S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low RPMs When I Start my S-Type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low RPMs When I Start my S-Type 3.0

Does anyone have the same problem with the car starting and not wanting to move very fast for the first 15 seconds of it being in drive? It's hard for me to get it to go over 10mph for the first few seconds without stomping on the gas. My check engine says something about the catalytic converter. Could this be caused by that? Please someone help me; this is getting very scary for me and other passengers.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Boop's Jag
Does anyone have the same problem with the car starting and not wanting to move very fast for the first 15 seconds of it being in drive? It's hard for me to get it to go over 10mph for the first few seconds without stomping on the gas. My check engine says something about the catalytic converter. Could this be caused by that? Please someone help me; this is getting very scary for me and other passengers.
Does this happen only when the engine is cold? My '02 V6 is a bit hesitant after a cold start in the morning. The hesitation lasts for about 15 seconds after driving off. Other than that, the car runs perfectly. My neighborhood streets are deserted when I leave for work, so I just live with it and briefly putz along at low speed. Whatever is happening, the car quickly shrugs it off before I've traveled a block.

The car always starts immediately, so no problems there. No fault codes or other symptoms. I've found I can force the car to behave when cold by holding the RPM at approximately 1500 RPM for about 15 seconds before selecting Drive. Curiously, extended idling doesn't seem to make any difference. It only behaves if I increase the RPM first. I generally don't bother with that, as I prefer to keep the RPM low while the engine is still cold. The car is otherwise so reliable, I can't fault her for being a bit cranky when first woken up.

As far as your codes for the converters, please post the actual 5 character codes. They typically start with a letter, followed by 4 numbers, such as P0420 or P0306. Some generic code definitions differ from the Jag-specific versions.

Also, what year is your car? '99-'02 cars use narrow band O2 sensors. '03+ models use a wide-band version. With a converter fault detected, the later models have a different response.

The following users liked this post:
Boop's Jag (04-08-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Does the check engine light flash or is it on steady. If it is flashing then the car is warning you that you are damaging the catalyst converters.
go to the start of this section and download a copy of JTIS as this will help you with the car. To read the codes I would buy an elm 327 as this a cheap device. You can then use an app or program to read the codes.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Default 2000

My Jag is 2000 model and I still can not find the issue. I also have a problem with the heat. It does not work but however, the AC does... Know anything about that?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ducmon
Does the check engine light flash or is it on steady. If it is flashing then the car is warning you that you are damaging the catalyst converters.
go to the start of this section and download a copy of JTIS as this will help you with the car. To read the codes I would buy an elm 327 as this a cheap device. You can then use an app or program to read the codes.
No, but after I cleared it it has not shown up again.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

My Jag is 2000 model and I still can not find the issue.
Some detailed answers would really help. My mind-reading skills aren't as good as they used to be.

Specifically, does the problem only happen after a cold start? That's how my car behaves, as detailed in my first reply.

I had another thought. I was assuming the engine was misbehaving when you have the issue. Is that really the case? Maybe the engine itself is fine but the transmission is acting up. It should be easy enough to determine by listening to the engine and watching the tachometer as you apply the throttle.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

I also have a problem with the heat. It does not work but however, the AC does... Know anything about that?
Know anything about that? Oh, that's a good one! Lack of heat is one of the most common problems with these cars. Lots of threads on that subject.

You will get more help by starting a separate thread on the subject. A new subject introduced in the middle of an existing thread often gets overlooked. In the meantime, start here and post your results in a new thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...dition-177764/

Make sure to include any pertinent details in the new thread, such as model year, engine, when the problem started, previous troubleshooting, other recent work, favorite color, shoe size, Ginger or MaryAnne, etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
joycesjag (04-09-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-13-2017)