Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowest Mileage S-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowest Mileage S-Type?

Hey Guys,

I've been a member here for awhile but havent come on lately since I sold the Jaguar S-Type I had before...

Well, another S-Type has entered my life and I'll need some help.

She's a 2000 3.0 model with the sports package and premium sound... The best part? Only 6,960 miles. (and that is not a typo)

The car is owned by an older woman and I've been enlisted to sell it for her... Any idea what the value of this thing may be? I can look up the value on KBB or NADA just like the next guy, but does anyone think its worth more than whats provided from those resources? BTW, book value is listed a little below 10k for private party.

Anyways, I thought y'all would enjoy some pictures of what I like to think of as a time capsule!

Thanks in advance, and enjoy!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Wow! She's a new 12 year old car. Book is book, but someone with a hard-on for her will pay more. Why don't you take her. Be a ******* by telling the little old lady she's worth little and you're doing her a favor? Regardless, even if you gave her 9k, you'll be getting a new car for pennies on the dollar. Come...come join us.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Wow! She's a new 12 year old car. Book is book, but someone with a hard-on for her will pay more. Why don't you take her. Be a ******* by telling the little old lady she's worth little and you're doing her a favor? Regardless, even if you gave her 9k, you'll be getting a new car for pennies on the dollar. Come...come join us.
I dont think I could do that! I would love to have this car for myself, but I think I would just keep her in the garage and never drive it!

Im thinking maybe ill throw it on eBay and see what happens...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

wow...that's really low miles for that year....an awesome find!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

That is really neat. Unfortunately despite the ultra low miles, it really isn't worth much more than any other well maintained 2000 S Type. The S Type is very far from being a collectors item. Now, if I had the money, a part of me would buy it up and store it as the time capsule that it is...but then again, I saved a K car convertible, so what do I know....

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Hey! Who went into my post and put ******* in place of "Nice Person"?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

That car is an exact double for the very first S-type I ever saw. I knew at that moment that I had to have one someday.

Hopefully it will go to someone that appreciates that it is special. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I actually would pay less. Sitting is the worse thing you can do for a car mechanically speaking. Its mint but anything that sat that much would scare the hell out of me!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I saved a K car convertible, so what do I know....

Hey! Those might become a collector car, 100 years from now

Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Lol

Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by qikcat
I actually would pay less. Sitting is the worse thing you can do for a car mechanically speaking. Its mint but anything that sat that much would scare the hell out of me!
I kind of agree with you on this one. Unless it was driven regularly, just not much or very far, and even then I'd be careful. Things like hoses and fluids probably have never been changed. I wouldn't walk away from it, but I'd look it over real well.

And I thought my 03 STR was low mile with 17k on the clock when i got it....this one doesn't even have half that...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I would think ebay the way to go with something like that. I know it's not a MG,Triumph, or Corvette but I've seen those go for crazy money because of unreal low miles.

The book values only go so far. Granted, they add X amount for less miles. But...how many are there with those few miles? All you need is a few speculators bidding and it could get interesting.

Our 03 now has 23,000 miles on it and was evidently another little old lady car. So last time I looked it booked at 10-11K. It also has a rebuilt title which normally would take a hit on value. I have no idea what it would be worth. But...try & find one as clean with 20K on it. Not so easy. Moot point anyway cause no way Laurie is gonna part with it.

As far as collectibility...people collect everything....even K Cars.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by qikcat
I'll debate that one a little bit..... My 600 sits for months on end. It might get driven 100 - 200 miles at the most in a year.. Last year was actually less (one trip to work 40 miles and a car show 10 miles).

So far, the only issue I have is I'm going to have to replace the oil pan gasket since it has started a little tiny drip. What I don't do is randomly start it and run it around the block. It gets at least one run up to work so I can "feel" it out on the highway. So, if you just let them be and yes check hoses and such and keep a battery tender on them, they are fine. Also, I make sure to change the oil each year. Transmission fluid, brake fluid, and coolant is every two or three years. That is probably over kill but it's kept a crappy K car fine for a great many years......

You do know by typing that I'm jinxing myself.....LOL

Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

*shaking head* Jeff....what have you done man? Don't make the K car gods angry! Somehow i think if we had a nuclear winter that K car would survive, along with a box of Twinkies.

The advantage you have with the K is that you know your way around it, and you maintain it. With this S-type...who knows what's been done/not done? It could have only been used for full throttle trips to bingo once a week.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I'll debate that one a little bit..... My 600 sits for months on end. It might get driven 100 - 200 miles at the most in a year.. Last year was actually less (one trip to work 40 miles and a car show 10 miles).

So far, the only issue I have is I'm going to have to replace the oil pan gasket since it has started a little tiny drip. What I don't do is randomly start it and run it around the block. It gets at least one run up to work so I can "feel" it out on the highway. So, if you just let them be and yes check hoses and such and keep a battery tender on them, they are fine. Also, I make sure to change the oil each year. Transmission fluid, brake fluid, and coolant is every two or three years. That is probably over kill but it's kept a crappy K car fine for a great many years......

You do know by typing that I'm jinxing myself.....LOL
Like all things there is always an exception to the rule but I can assure you sitting is the worse thing you can do to one. Over many years or buying an selling the cream puffs with unreal low miles are 9 times out of 10 huge nightmares once someone starts driving it regular.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw a 2000 with 8K miles at the dealership in Houston where I purchased mine. It was for sale at $12,XXX and it was almost 2 years ago .

If I would be you, I would buy this beautiful car even if I don't need one at 9-10K .

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've gone ahead and listed it for sale. Unfortunately I cant keep it for myself as much as I want to!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM

GORGEOUS!!! I bought 2000 white S Type 4.0 in May 2011 - 50,000 miles, custom interior for $10,000. Low miles does matter!