S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Door Lock Assembly/Actuator 2003 SType

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR Door Lock Assembly/Actuator 2003 SType

I have a 2003 S-type 3.0L. Somehow, while having the car washed, the guys broke the LR door lock. When you try to lock/unlock the doors, you can hear the actuator? trying to work, but the lock pull just below the inside door handle will not move. If you manually press the lock pull to lock the LR door and then lock the rest of the doors, you can still open the LR door by pulling the LR outside door handle. I have been told that the "Door Latch Assembly" needs to be replaced and I have heard that the "Door Actuator" needs to be replaced. Can someone tell me what parts are included in the "Door Latch Assembly"? Is the 'Actuator" part of the "Door Latch Assembly"? Any idea what specific piece of the mechanism(s) is broken? What limited part(s) can I buy to replace without just replacing the whole system? I have checked the JTIS manual, and it does not give me specific enough info. Thanks. hmaster1

Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things:

First and foremost, it sounds to me like "the guys" who washed your car should be the ones replacing it if it weren't broken beforehand.

Second, and perhaps more seriously, the best way to figure out what, if anything, is broken is to "simply" pull the inside door panel off and see what is messed up. It may be that the wire (I say wire, but it's actually twice or thrice as thick as a coat hanger) that controls the door lock could have come off, or the door lock mech itself could have broken. If the former has happened, it would be merely the task to put it back on. If the latter has happened, you would need to replace the interior door handle assembly.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Default LR Door Lock

I already took the door apart, and the cable is attached. The best that I can tell is without removing the interior door handle assembly is that something on that assembly which catches the lock lever is broken. I am assuming, based on your post, that I must replace the entire "interior door handle assembly". Is that the correct terminology when I am researching it? Is the "actuator" considered part of that assembly or can I buy the separate mechanical part?

Pretty tough getting the car wash to accept responsibility, and as an attorney, I can tell you the cost of battling it is not worth it. Must pick my battles.

hmaster1

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Gotcha (on the lawsuit thing...lol).

The interior door handle assembly is what you use to open the door from the inside. Since you already took the door panel off, my guess is that it's not that. No, the actuator isn't part of the door handle assembly.

The lock itself is inside the door catch (the part on the edge of the door that keeps the door closed). The thing you hear is probably the electric mechanism that is used by the electric locks to lock the door. THAT is the actuator. I'm not sure what it looks like in your car, but it will have electric wires running to it, and then a thick wire running to the door catch. There would be an arm (more than likely plastic) that the wire connects to, and if that is broken, you'll need another actuator.

If the arm isn't broken, see if, when you activate the door locks electrically, if the arm goes in and out. If it does, then trace the thick wire to the catch, and make sure it's still attached. Also, trace the thick wire from the door handle (interior) to the actuator.

There are a very limited number of possibilities that could be wrong inside your door. You'll just have to poke around and test things as I stated above.

Too bad there's not a keyhole in that exterior door handle, because you could narrow it down to which side of the actuator the problem lies.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

I appreciate your help. Tight space in which to work.

Thanks.
Hmaster1

Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Default Mr. Motormouth - Blowup of left rear door assembly

Mr. Motormouth - Could you do me a huge favor and go to the directjplvporscheparts.com site and pull up the blowup drawing for the 2003 Jaguar S-type, 3.0L standard, left rear door and give me the number(s) of the parts you are targeting. Based on my look inside the door when I had the panel off and how the door mechanism is acting, I thought that there would be a small piece broken either on part #4 or #11, #7, #10 or #6. #11 is attached to #4 and appeared to be properly attached to #6 via #7. The guys at the carwash must have just torqued the inside handle or lock handle so hard they snapped or stretched something. You mentioned a plastic piece as a possible culprit -- which numbered part was that.

Thanks. Hmaster1

Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Could you do ME a huge favor and tell me why I would go to a non-existant PORSCHE website, when we're dealing with Jags?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

motor, they sell jag parts too...

Here's a link to the site...

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks h2o. He put the wrong link up.

hm - I'm talking about part #6 (door latch). That's the part that has the actual lock IN it. Part #7 (door module) simply opens the door via the exterior door handle.

Also check the bellcrank to latch arm (part #10). Make sure it's still in place (connected between the exterior handle and the latch).

Last edited by m0t0rm0uth; 12-07-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Parts drawings

Sorry but just can't find how to access the drawings on jag and porsche site!!

Thanks in advance

Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant find the attachments either, planning on replacing my door lock assembly. how difficult would it be for a beginner. planning on doing a diy job.

Last edited by daviddrift; 05-17-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Will this help you guys? The image and parts are for the 'front door' but I don't see why it would be any different for the rear doors...there is no image for the rear.

Attached Thumbnails LR Door Lock Assembly/Actuator 2003 SType-s-type-door-lock.jpg